Tutorial How to send @mention alert notifications to other members like a pro

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
To get the attention of another member from within a message, simply prepend their member name with the @ symbol.
Example: @Richard

Simples huh!

But wait, there's more to learn...

PRO TIPS

@member-name tags ONLY fire alerts to the intended recipient if included in the initial save of a new post.
In any thread where you wish to alert someone with an @mention. Be sure to include it the first time you compose a new post.​

@member-name tags DO NOT fire an alert if an existing post is edited and a new @tags is added.
The reason edits of an existing post do not trigger an alert is to prevent the multiple firing of the same alert. (This makes perfect sense if you think about it a bit)​

Limits on @mentions per post
Regular Members: 10
Gold & Silver Members: 20​

CorrecT cAse maTTers
An @mention alert will only fire if you spelled the members username correctly, including correct upper & lower case formatting -- see next.​

Autocomplete
Type the member name of your intended recipient slowly and at the third character autocomplete will drop in at the cursor making it easier to ensure correct case spelling. This works on all browsers (only works if javascript is enabled and not blocked)

IMG_4957.jpg

Alert Fails - Not Everyone Receives Alerts
Some members may choose to turn off alerts in their alert preferences so there is no guarantees that an alert notification will be received. That's just how it rolls :( Most of the time an alert fails because an @mention is added to a post during editing.​

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
So if i forget to mention someone before i save a post, I assume the best answer is to copy the text to a new post that includes the mention - and delete the old post

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth
If you have the editor turned off it won't auto complete user names. And I've never worried about case @Richard. It fixes itself, however you've now got me doubting it also triggers alerts at the same time. Did you get this alert, because I tagged you all lower case?

Reactions: currawong

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
ha!! well that must have been an upgrade to XenForo that passed me by. Maybe case does not matter then. Will do some testing before editing the OP.
Yes. I never bother with case when tagging. Just 3 lower case letters then pick from the list. Sometimes 4 or 5 letters to filter a long list. Has been the case (no pun intended) for as long as I can remember.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass