Question How to use EPIC pass in US or Canada

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by GlenH, Oct 13, 2017 at 10:39 AM.

1. GlenH

GlenH Active Member
    Season Pass Silver

Hello

My ski buddy, who is not very familiar with using forums, has asked me to post this question on his behalf and we would appreciate any advice you can offer please.

He has an EPIC Perisher season pass 2017 (without upgrades) and is keen to go to Canada (Whistler) skiing in January 2018, however he is finding it very difficult to get info on how the EPIC pass actually works utilising all the discounts they say it offers.

For example: he might instead ski Vail or others if the discount was a lot more than Canada, but finding accommodation which relates to deals on the EPIC card is very confusing.

He is aware of the restrictions in Canada which is 10 days and holiday restrictions, but would only go for 8 days and work around these dates.

He just can't find the accommodation and whether the pass will cover all lifts apart from the above restrictions. He doesn’t think he needs an upgrade at this point.

As he lives in Cairns he is comparing this against skiing in Japan (shorter hour flight) but would then have to look for package deals and pay for lifts accommodation etc, as opposed to using the EPIC Perisher Season Pass and flying to Canada and take advantage of accommodation discounts and free lifts working around the restrictions.

Thanks for any help, guidance or advice you can offer.

2. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I didn't find any decent accommodation discounts (Colorado), they're all at Vail properties which are exxy. The pass covers all lifts on the days which aren't restricted. And I understand if you do want to ski on those days, there are discounted day passes available. Others may have a different experience, but for us, all we are saving is the cost of the ski pass.

asammut_au likes this.
  3. scullee

scullee Old And Crusty

Has he tried calling Perisher?

My understanding is you tail your Perisher Pass to the office there and they give you an Epic pass

4. Donzah

Donzah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I think discounted accomodation and Vail EPIC pass is a oxymoron.
    I get their emails and occasionally look at the deals. However their business model is pretty apparent.
    Cheap Season Pass and expensive land components.
    The best "deals" were for resorts like Breck and those in tahoe.
    IMO sort out cheaper accomodation via other methods and work around the black out dates.

alexd likes this.
  5. DidSurfNowSki

DidSurfNowSki Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

I have used the EPIC pass in the US for the lift passes which you sort out over there in one of their ticketing offices. For accomodation I used Airbnb and I hired a car to get around in. The Airbnb hosts are great at recommending places to eat, cheap parking etc.

6. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Yeah we ended up with airbnb at Breck, no car hire.

7. Astro66

Astro66 Still looking for a park in Thredbo
    Season Pass Gold

Use Epic Pass for lifts only. Organize accommodation elsewhere. Even hotels.com will be cheaper than Vail.

asammut_au likes this.
  8. Marty_McSly

Marty_McSly Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

This would be a card branded Epic Australia Pass?

Before 2016 the Perisher pass was branded Freedom Pass and you had to take your Freedom Pass card to the ticket office at any Vail resort to get a card valid in the USA.

Last year they sent out new Epic Australia Pass cards to customers buying the Perisher season pass. AFAIK these should just work at Whistler and Vail USA resorts (with the possible exception of the recently acquired Stowe) in 2017/18. That was not the case at Whistler this year as they hadn't had Vail systems rolled out yet. But it wasn't a biggie, I just rocked up to the customer services counter at the Whistler/Blackcomb gondola base and got a Whistler card with the days loaded on it.

So, best case, your friend's card will just work. Worst case, it takes 10 minutes to get a card at the guest services counter. Either way he needs to take his Epic Australia Pass card.

9. chicski

chicski Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Except it appears they have their databases all linked up, which is how they got my son's pic off the Perisher site onto his Epic pass (he hasn't had a Perisher pass for 4 years). So if you turn up with ID they should have all your info ready to go onto a USA compatible card. Assuming the RFID systems are different.