1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Howling success, sled dog races

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Skipress, Aug 4, 2013.

1. Skipress

Skipress Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Third sled dog event at Falls Creek

Last night teams of Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, Alaskan Huskies, sponsored by local businesses such as Koki Alpine Resort and Feathertop Lodge, raced on what was an ideal track for dogs that are bred to pull sleds and their masters.

Steve Potter a commercial fisherman from New Zealand's west coast raced a 'borrowed' team of six Alaskan huskies and was more than happy to take out second place in his class.

Potter said: We don't have an event in New Zealand like this one at Falls Creek when you run around the town's streets. I must also stress the generosity we have been given by our host at Feathertop and the Falls Creek community is more than we would get at home. John Alcorn, our sponsor at Falls Creek, now has one arm longer than the other after he helped us handle our very energetic dog team.

"On the first night we encountered a blizzard and it cleared up just before we started racing Then last night it was almost the same. During the day it was wet and slushy then the track froze and it had a fresh cover on snow on top.

"The format of this even is brilliant, we are all together in the alpine village so we could enjoy a few drinks together and fully appreciate the hospitality we were offered."

Another Kiwi Peter Dobbs (sponsored by Koki Alpine Resort for the second time) won both heats and the event's six dog Siberian Huskie class.

Dobbs said:"It was a lot of fun. The weather was challenging, last night it was like an Artic excursion but my dogs have raced here before so they knew were they were going. They have a natural instinct to stay out of the powder snow and stay on the harder snow. It was a standard sprint race of about 4.5 kilometres and last night was my best result on the snow.

The owner of a team in three dog class Darren Watson, from Drummmond North just out of Melbourne, ran a six dog team at last year's event.

Watson said:"It was a bit tougher with less dogs, I was pipped in the overal placings by one second and had several second placings. Again beaten on two occasions by one second."

Footnote:
    The teams took take part in two nights of racing with the main event concluding last night. This unique event showcases Siberian Huskies, Alaskan Malamutes, Alaskan Huskies, various Hounds, and their mushers competing against each other and the elements. The designated course took teams through the heart of the village from Slalom Plaza up to the Village Bowl then down Falls Creek Road up onto Slalom Street, passing Winterhaven, The Man, Elk, Nelse Lodge & Cock n Bull, then to the finish line in Slalom Plaza in front of QT.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Skipress, Aug 4, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  2. Hully

Hully One of Us

Interesting what is termed a success...if this was a summer event I am pretty sure that it would not create enough incremental bednights to justify the cost and effort of putting it on and would be dropped from the calendar (eg Billie Carts). This year is the first time that I haven't been on the spot for the Sat night race but judging by the photo I saw on FB the crowds in Slalom Plaza were right down compared to other years (admittedly weather was rugged). Success probably because those competing get a free run of the village and looked after well so they would be loving it and based on the couple of front page media photos.

IMHO the future of our ski resort needs to be based on encouraging skiers for life (thumbs up to FCSL on a couple of their intiatives this season - 1234ever and Mum's Ski Free and Windy Corner for Ski De Femme for Cross Country) and providing a great location to learn and progress with skiing/boarding. I don't think that there is value in the effort being focussed on novelty events and travelling circuses. This is not the thread, but I might put up some of my ideas at some stage for discussion.

3. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

we need pics

4. Skipress

Skipress Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Crystal I'll contact Richard and ask him to post some pics..Skipress

5. VSG

VSG Crayon Master Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

D-eye did some amazing night shots of the races in 2011, FYI.

6. Crystal

Crystal (Sly made me Cry) - Sand skier extraordinaire Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

yes I was there for the 2011 race and saw the pics [​IMG]

#6 Crystal, Aug 6, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 12, 2013
  7. weerab

weerab One of Us

I was there too, it was great fun but so mild the snow was wet, dirty and very slow. Must have been hard work for the doggies. The post office/fudge guy in Mt Beauty used to have a team of racing huskies, but I think he has retired from the sport.