Huge Rescue!!!

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Hully, Jul 9, 2017.

1. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

For those that travel in the backcountry during winter and know the area, this story will provide great entertainment. Our country's elite!

zac150 likes this.
  2. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Hmm, based in Wagga... that'll be Kapooka Recruit Training School. They did provide an exact location and then waited to be collected, so better than a lot of other people do in the backcountry when things go wrong.

Ubiquitous Steve likes this.
  3. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

But there was 25 of them,

zac150 and Hully like this.
  4. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Yeah, I've bumped into this crew regularly over past winters...the leaders/trainers are pretty good blokes. My main dig is at the article, I would say released/communicated to media 'politically' around changes to policing arrangements at Falls. Heaps of people are transported out from much further afield every winter without any fanfare.

5. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Majority were probably recruits on adventure training, with maybe 4 or so Unit Adventure Training Leaders. Best option keep group together till injured member rescued and then all walk/ski out together. That being said fairly poorly written story, as essentially they did exactly the right thing, provided an accurate location and then waited.

crackson and Ubiquitous Steve like this.
  6. tele-whippet

tele-whippet beard stroker
    Season Pass Gold

These irresponsible extreme adventurers put the lives of the extremely brave rescuers at risk when the inevitable accident happens and they have to be rescued from inhospitable dangerous places!
    Ban these stupid, self glorifying egotistical activities and make them pay for the rescue expenses.
    Then shoot them dead ----- this would be great training for our armed forces to get them battle ready ----- oh, wait!

7. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

From my interaction with their leaders in previous years, that's them!

8. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

They should have got together and built a hut. With a dunny.

9. zac150

zac150 Dedicated Member

I'm going to guess that most of the 25 would have been beginner skiers, outside the Instructors so no matter how many they had pulling out an injured skier would have been pretty hard.

Especially as they would have had to look after others.

To be fair to them making the call was the right thing and I'm glad egos didn't get in the way, as it could have compounded the issue.

Chaeron, Ubiquitous Steve and Hully like this.
  10. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

My comments relate more to the non-story than those involved. Heaps are taken off the High Plains every season without any story. As I commented on the FB post, I've read less dramatic accounts of rescues from high on Mt Everest.

Ozgirl and teckel like this.
  11. Ubiquitous Steve

Ubiquitous Steve Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

Well good work to all those that transported injured person out to medical centre.Fortunately there are plenty of refuge Huts up near Nelses that would have provided options should they be required.

We are all likely to end up dragged out of backcountry no matter how skilled and fit we think we may be!!

Wrong time of season for easy rescues.....nuisance snow with bugger all base.

Don't ask Bears why we got shitty when Langford Gap door was nor refitted.....
    Accidents happen anywhere at any time up there....???

12. GS

GS Addicted Member
    Season Pass Gold

...and a plaque on the door

13. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

No plaques required due to commonsense and training of party concerned......I gather the wind chill was pretty full on over last few days ....
    So good work to all involved...Big River Fire Trail six kms out would put one somewhere on Nelses would it not..exposed as buggery....

14. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Come on....they're young and physically fit on an equipped backcountry ski tour. A snapped ACL, most likely worst case injury based on description and potential mechanism of injury, is hardly life threatening in any weather conditions for any properly equipped crew.

ladycamper likes this.
  15. skinavy

skinavy Dedicated Member

Along with the sheer amount of risk management and contingency planning that would have gone into this, like any military activity, meant that it all would have been pretty dull really. Would probably have gone a bit like this:

Setup shelter, make the call to the police/ambos (probably via a satphone), call the duty officer at Kapooka (so he can then make a stack more calls) and then brew up and wait.

Hully and crackson like this.
  16. zac150

zac150 Dedicated Member

Maybe that just it the non story is the story, focus on the fact that they did the right thing as a guide to others. It's the first rescue of the season so a gentle reminder to be safe!

17. crackson

crackson Addicted Member
    30 Day Pass

And not elite. Not even close.

18. BilbyBill

BilbyBill Well-Known Member

Interesting to note that no Police were available on the mountain.

19. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

On exposed ridge tops ....with high wind velocity....with little snow cover to dig into....it may have been a little bit more of a worry than you might think.Plus they knew that skidoo rescue unlike the resort could not get out there most probably.

The parties that get literally dragged of Bogong probably all believed they were fit and equipped too.....

20. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Not sure what to make of the elitist mentality of some backcountry users...accidents happen to the best.....eg. the funny little Frechman fell to his death recently ......no more amazing climbs in record time.....!

And no doubt a plaque for him will be erected somewhere??

21. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

maybe they they were looking after the Melb wallys that keep driving off the roads.

Anyway if boys had got desperate they could have summoned :whistle:the Mitta Mitta 1st Attack Dozer which appears to be involved in all kinds of rescues from time to time.;)

#21 Ubiquitous Steve, Jul 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  22. Moondog55

Moondog55 Dedicated Member

I also know the instructors on those courses quite well. Followed the book procedure to the letter, did everything right and no-body died; must have no other news to write about.
    As to the particpants? Sometimes they are returned combat soldiers trying to deal with PTSD or learning to deal with the consequences of injury

23. art

art Active Member

Too soon?
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=too soon
    Maybe
    [​IMG]

Chaeron likes this.
  24. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Yeah it's never too soon it appears for forum members to give expert advice here....an accident happened and they contacted authorities that enabled a rescue of the injured person....end of story.....

The leaders acted correctly.....they followed procedure probably to the letter.

Team Bears say it ended well....it ain't a perfect world ..things happen....

Charlie and neilmny like this.
  25. Hully

Hully Dedicated Member

Again.....my intention not to criticise the crew out there doing their thing, my cynicism was driven by the sensational nature of the news story.
    'Rescuers' would have driven an all terrain Prinoth Huski along 6km of sealed road with a few cms of snow on it and then 1km up a maintained firetrail. This is a route that a does groomer travels every day in winter. It wasn't a time critical injury. It wasn't Mt Bogong, it didn't warrant a new story. A lead story on our regional radio news this morning.
    The story was prepared and leaked to the media (by who?) to draw attention to the fact that Vic Pol have made changes to policing arrangements at Falls Creek.

zac150 and currawong like this.
  26. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

I see a genuine need for a medical evac and the reason it made a story was due to the Army personnel and it being the first rescue of the season. I also see it as a great training exercise for all involved to get them working as a team for when it is a life threatening emergency.
    A bit harsh? I would say I was an irresponsible extreme adventurer as well and likely more so as I don't go out with 25 others on backcountry trails 6km from a resort and about a kilometre from the main road. The safest place is for all to stay in front of the computers and make judgement on the rest of the world. Ban skiing as people inevitably will get hurt.

27. Moondog55

Moondog55 Dedicated Member

I think you missed the "tongue -in-cheek" emoticon implicit in that reply.

28. Gimp

Gimp Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Adapt, initiative, self rescue?

crackson and Hully like this.
  29. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

I saw the rovers do that one year ...a girl stuffed a knee just at Langford Gap in the steep pitch from road...she and others sat by fire in the hut while the rovers went to their lodge and brought back a sled...they were moving in for the week so the knee would have had a chance to recover and the girl still had a holiday!
    Very impressive group.......and that kind of practice drill is so rewarding for all persons involved.

30. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Where there no police there because of some emergency elsewhere or has somebody made some move from head office....It's school holidays ...I would have thought that it would be police there .

31. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Likely I did. Can't see it still. It is easy to misinterpret written words. Apologise for any offence. I am not an emoticon kind of person. I agree self rescue is always the better option but the Army has regulations and guidelines to adhere to and disciplinary action if not.

32. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

It's a bit puzzling. Do they wait for emergency services if they are injured in combat?

Hully and crackson like this.
  33. zac150

zac150 Dedicated Member

Yep, isn't a medivac exactly that, a form of emergency extraction.

It made the news because a) first rescue of the season, which B) makes it a timely reminder and C) their appears (I am not 100% across this) that in Vic, their is a new structure on rescues in the mountains or at least at falls.

I think they did the right thing, as I said above I can only guess that they didn't have enough capable skiers to perform a self rescue and move the group out to safety. With uncertain weather on the forecast sitting out in the snow is not the best place to be and as none of us were out there we don't know if the person went into shock; Shock + exposure isn't a great mix.

I know it is easy to judge until you have been in the situation where a call had to be made about either self rescue or to get assistance. I've been there and to be honest in the end it was a very easy call to make.

I have significantly changed my tune on the whole self rescue belief since then and also after being fortunate enough to sit next to the paramedic who worked on the helicopter during the infamous Sydney to Hobart race. We were talking about EPIRB's and when to use them and he pulled me up when I said it had to be life or death and he simply asked how I would know? My interpretation of his view was that they would prefer to rescue people than risk a non threatening situation rapidly change due to unforeseen circumstances i.e conditions or an unseen unrecognisable internal injury.

Remember D = danger. Why put the rest of the group potentially at risk.

34. currawong

currawong Old And Crusty
    Season Pass Gold

the issue is not that they requested assistance but the manner in which it has been reported. rescues don't get much easier than a trip out to watchbed in a husky

Chaeron, weerab and Hully like this.
  35. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

I can't find the bit that suggests that it was anything but straightforward and routine.

36. Xplora

Xplora Active Member

Precisely what happens. You can't stop a battle when someone is injured so they call for a medical evaced by whatever means available at the time depending on the theatre of war. It could be vehicle or helicopter. The majority of our armed forces will never see any combat and since this was not a combat situation there is no need to expect this person should wait any longer for medical treatment than necessary. They are human, feel pain and have a right to the same treatment as any other person injured on the slopes or BC.

Ubiquitous Steve and zac150 like this.
  37. Bertie Egg

Bertie Egg Active Member

Yep. His name is Simpson.

38. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

Anyway that Tour de France is providing entertainment for Team Bears as the "elite"go down like skittles.

Mont du Chat descent stage 9.....nothing like back up!!

39. Ubiquitous Steve

Season Pass Gold

even jesus crashed.....sorry Team Bears mean Jesus Harada!!!!:whistle:

now this stage 9 certainly had some drama and lots of rescues!!!