Hurricane Hurricane Irma

Majikthise

Sage
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1970
Blue Mts
Intensifying again according to tropical tidbits...914 and falling.
Meanwhile Jose and Katia climb on board.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Screenshot_2017-09-07-12-55-22.png

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Prefer to experience neither, but I think the risk of living in a bushfire zone is preferable to cyclone/hurricane.

Reactions: POW Hungry

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Prefer to experience neither, but I think the risk of living in a bushfire zone is preferable to cyclone/hurricane.
Dunno. Don't want to find out. But (compared with Black Saturday)...
Pros for Irma: plenty of warning for preparation/evacuation, plenty of warning for relief operations.
Pros for Black Saturday: edges sharply defined - go across those edges and no damage (after the event).
Both result in total destruction and loss of life. :(

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

GS

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 20, 2004
Yarra Valley Vic
Dunno. Don't want to find out. But (compared with Black Saturday)...
Pros for Irma: plenty of warning for preparation/evacuation, plenty of warning for relief operations.
Pros for Black Saturday: edges sharply defined - go across those edges and no damage (after the event).
Both result in total destruction and loss of life. :(

Not sure there are any 'pros' for either...maybe less 'cons' :)

Reactions: teckel

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
I still have to endure the cyclone bit. When it comes to bushfires I'd rather live in the middle of suburbia than a shack in the bush anyday.

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Probably a stupid question but:

What would it take for a hurricane to surpass the current Category 5 stats and become a whole new category?

When/how would they decide a hurricane is so strong that it's pushing the boundaries of a Category 5 and knocking on the doors of a higher Category?

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Probably a stupid question but:

What would it take for a hurricane to surpass the current Category 5 stats and become a whole new category?

When/how would they decide a hurricane is so strong that it's pushing the boundaries of a Category 5 and knocking on the doors of a higher Category?
Cat5 is obviously the highest category of the Saffir-Simpson scale.
The scale is not going to updated to a 6 category scale because of a record breaking system. It simply means it's unparalleled in the category 5 rating. It gets no worse than these conditions with catastrophic and absolute destruction - nothing more, nothing less.

In the words of Robert Simpson himself
there are no reasons for a Category 6 on the Saffir–Simpson Scale because it is designed to measure the potential damage of a hurricane to man-made structures. Simpson stated that "...when you get up into winds in excess of 155 mph (249 km/h) you have enough damage if that extreme wind sustains itself for as much as six seconds on a building it's going to cause rupturing damages that are serious no matter how well it's engineered."

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
Cat5 is obviously the highest category of the Saffir-Simpson scale.
The scale is not going to updated to a 6 category scale because of a record breaking system. It simply means it's unparalleled in the category 5 rating. It gets no worse than these conditions with catastrophic and absolute destruction - nothing more, nothing less.

In the words of Robert Simpson himself
Great explanation thank you

Reactions: POW Hungry

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Can someone explain how the hell anyone can fly through a cat 5 storm? It shreds concrete buildings fastened to the ground with rebar.

Saw vid other day claiming they flew through the eye. Nothing in the video seemed to back that up at all and seemed like a beat up.

Is it calmer at the higher flight altitudes ?

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time

See I just think how is that possible. I know a strong aircraft can outfly the wind speed but wouldn't it be far too rough as you fly in and out of the eye , ie sudden and massive wind gust would totally throw the air craft off as it hits the wind wall from the calm eye.

On another note , who's this commenter ? Lol.

IMG_8245.PNG

Reactions: LMB

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Apparently there are two nuclear power plants in Florida that are right in Irma's projected track.

Reactions: Claude Cat

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
Apparently there are two nuclear power plants in Florida that are right in Irma's projected track.
Oh dear.
Be interesting to see if they can be contained as well as Fukushima.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Oh dear.
Be interesting to see if they can be contained as well as Fukushima.
Controlled shutdown long before the Irma arrives.
The Fukushima tsunami was unexpected, both in timing and size.

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
Brad @Darb the P3s have a top speed of ~400kts. that is about double the top speed of the strongest winds in a 'cane. that helps reduce the turbulence significantly since it is is the differential speed which matters. also the plane my be flying into or against the wind, again it is the relative difference that matters in terms of acceleration and the turbulence.

So from my point of view it is not surprising at all. they have been doing this for years hundreds (maybe thousands) of flights and data which provide amazing insight into the interior of cyclones/ hurricanes/ typhoons.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Back in the early eighties one of these aircraft was in Australia doing some unrelated research work with the CSIRO. At the same time a cat 4 cyclone was off the North Queensland and they took the opportunity to do a couple of flights through it. One of the things they did do was seed it in a similar way that is used for seeding clouds to produce rain. The idea is to temporarily weaken the system which did work to some extent from memory. This particular cyclone eventually made a near direct hit on Mackay.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust
Can someone explain how the hell anyone can fly through a cat 5 storm? It shreds concrete buildings fastened to the ground with rebar.

Saw vid other day claiming they flew through the eye. Nothing in the video seemed to back that up at all and seemed like a beat up.

Is it calmer at the higher flight altitudes ?

Yes. At higher cruise levels it's just a close collection of TS cells and systems that can be avoided as is the norm in the tropics by avoiding the 'hard' bits or even just overflying. You do see some neat radar scans of the eye and the tendrils.

Only a few weeks i tried it out at a mid level (15,000'). Results, not so successful LOL we got boxed in and had to go through a tendril. It imaged on the radar as a long front of very tightly packed TS cells and very active lightening. So we picked a soft spot (less intense radar return between the cells) and headed in. Very heavy rain (maybe soft hail but hard to say), moderate/severe turbulence and we got hit by lightening. Very rough but not extreme and no limits busted. Wouldn't want to make a habit of it in an airliner.

At sea level its obviously problematic with the wind and at this point things are locked up and the airport shuts down.

Call_me_Ishmael

One of Us
Nov 19, 2011
What's with Cheech Marron sitting between the pilots in that video controlling the big lever?
Is that a normal seating configuration in the P3 or just setup for that plane for flying into Hurricanes?

Reactions: Claude Cat
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass