Hurricane Hurricane Irma

Trail Blazer

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2000
Jimi on Weatherzone. Pymble, Sydney
Yes. At higher cruise levels it's just a close collection of TS cells and systems that can be avoided as is the norm in the tropics by avoiding the 'hard' bits or even just overflying. You do see some neat radar scans of the eye and the tendrils.

Only a few weeks i tried it out at a mid level (15,000'). Results, not so successful LOL we got boxed in and had to go through a tendril. It imaged on the radar as a long front of very tightly packed TS cells and very active lightening. So we picked a soft spot (less intense radar return between the cells) and headed in. Very heavy rain (maybe soft hail but hard to say), moderate/severe turbulence and we got hit by lightening. Very rough but not extreme and no limits busted. Wouldn't want to make a habit of it in an airliner.

At sea level its obviously problematic with the wind and at this point things are locked up and the airport shuts down.
What were you flying?

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
www.owithalinethroughit.com
7E004311-C7D4-45FF-9EFE-E45CF02F4A31-15530-0000183B872DF946.gif
Latest jtwc

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Yes. At higher cruise levels it's just a close collection of TS cells and systems that can be avoided as is the norm in the tropics by avoiding the 'hard' bits or even just overflying. You do see some neat radar scans of the eye and the tendrils.

Only a few weeks i tried it out at a mid level (15,000'). Results, not so successful LOL we got boxed in and had to go through a tendril. It imaged on the radar as a long front of very tightly packed TS cells and very active lightening. So we picked a soft spot (less intense radar return between the cells) and headed in. Very heavy rain (maybe soft hail but hard to say), moderate/severe turbulence and we got hit by lightening. Very rough but not extreme and no limits busted. Wouldn't want to make a habit of it in an airliner.

At sea level its obviously problematic with the wind and at this point things are locked up and the airport shuts down.
:eek: Can't you fly around those things (at mid levels)?

whether

One of Us
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2014
Apparently there are two nuclear power plants in Florida that are right in Irma's projected track.
So wouldn't they have been there when Hurricane Andrew went through or are they new???

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
So wouldn't they have been there when Hurricane Andrew went through or are they new???
Nuclear plants were there in 1992.

".....the nuclear sites are among the strongest in the United States and are designed to withstand heavy wind and storm surge. Turkey Point's nuclear reactors are enclosed in six feet of steel-reinforced concrete and sit 20 feet above sea level. Nuclear plants also have significant redundancies that serve as back-ups to back-ups.
Turkey Point, located just south of Miami in Homestead, survived a direct hit from Hurricane Andrew in 1992. However, the facility did suffer $90 million in damage from that Category 5 storm, according to press reports."

Gusts with Andrew were up to 270kph, and crossed Florida east to west, while Irma looks like traversing the whole state, which would inflict much more damage.

Reactions: whether and LMB

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
RIP miami
That's a crazy projected path.

If you believed in a vengeful God you'd be easily swayed to thinking he has pointed the finger!
(Oh oh...it's America....)

I'm not looking forward to seeing all the devestation - if St Maartens Airport is anything to go by this thing will rip apart anything not built like a bomb shelter.

Reactions: Gregah
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Snow Blowey

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Jan 7, 2004
Dubbo NSW
Cat5 is obviously the highest category of the Saffir-Simpson scale.
The scale is not going to updated to a 6 category scale because of a record breaking system. It simply means it's unparalleled in the category 5 rating. It gets no worse than these conditions with catastrophic and absolute destruction - nothing more, nothing less.

In the words of Robert Simpson himself

Pfffff.... clearly misunderstands his own rating system. Now much more useful as twitter news, face news, ski.com news, sunrise news hastag wow factor rating. Noone's impressed by the number 5.

Reactions: whether and piolet

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
In some respects, the Carribean & Florida coasts are home to the superyacht and ultra rich brigades (many of the superyachts have scrammed out of the area a week or two ago) ... which may bode well in terms of the $$ around to repair things or at least bring tourism/support incomse back into the areas.

That said, the ultra rich probably hold onto their coin and the public purse will pay for it.

Reactions: piolet

Darb

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 19, 2002
Perth most of the time
Can anyone elaborate on why the hurricanes seem to always veer right and up the Florida coast? I presume it's a natural occurrence, most seem to take that course ... gulf of mexico or Florida land mass itself causes it to?

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
Can anyone elaborate on why the hurricanes seem to always veer right and up the Florida coast? I presume it's a natural occurrence, most seem to take that course ... gulf of mexico or Florida land mass itself causes it to?
Poleward motion of cyclones is caused by a number of influencing factors, the main (as I understand it) being Coriolis and the beta effect.

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
But you'd have to think in this case land interaction also has a very significant influence, essentially the cane "rolls" along the land as the western winds are slowed.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
But you'd have to think in this case land interaction also has a very significant influence, essentially the cane "rolls" along the land as the western winds are slowed.
A similar thing seems to happen in the Cairns area as well. Historically significant cyclones seem to avoid a direct impact on the area directly around Cairns. The long term locals say the mountain ranges are the reason. I can't comprehend it myself though.

Reactions: filski

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
Grr my favourite sat webpage is refusing to respond, it could be shitty internet where I am at the moment (Bandar airport in Brunei) or it could be overloaded.

Could someone see if they can get and post the latest MW image?... apparently Irma is forming a double eyewall as part of an ERC.

filski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Mar 14, 2011
A similar thing seems to happen in the Cairns area as well. Historically significant cyclones seem to avoid a direct impact on the area directly around Cairns. The long term locals say the mountain ranges are the reason. I can't comprehend it myself though.
The worst ones come across from the gulf. I've always felt sitting between significant ranges to east and west spared us the worst of the winds.

piolet

Better make it three
Ski Pass
May 27, 2004
in the cupboard covered in dust

Mechanical interruption and a drier continental airmass?
Or at least a different one in the case of florida

trappers

Safety not guaranteed
Ski Pass
Jul 28, 1999
An airport
A couple more before they tell me to turn my phone off. WV shows some dry air to the nw.
IMG_0544.JPG

I hope this helps slow down reintensification after current ERC which can be seen on the collection below (esp 37GHz MW)
IMG_0545.JPG

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
The worst ones come across from the gulf. I've always felt sitting between significant ranges to east and west spared us the worst of the winds.
Where were you living at the time? A cyclone crossing from the gulf to the Cairns area would be nothing more than a heap of rain by the time it got here.

Reactions: whether

filski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Mar 14, 2011
Where were you living at the time? A cyclone crossing from the gulf to the Cairns area would be nothing more than a heap of rain by the time it got here.
Yes and no, depending on strength the winds can pack a punch still and they're coming from the north rather than the SE.

Winifred was the last one I was in. I thought it might have been a gulf starter but it seems I'm wrong. She was a doozy though.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
Winifred was the last one I was in. I thought it might have been a gulf starter but it seems I'm wrong. She was a doozy though.
I was living in White Rock at the time. Winifred formed off the east coast of Cape York and tracked south/south east gradually getting closer to the coast. On the Saturday morning once she cleared Mt Bellenden Kerr and Bartle Frere swung almost due west hence the locals theory about the mountain range effect. Looking out to sea that morning was the blackest sky I've ever seen, the street lights were still on at 9am.
Winifred was the first significant cyclone I'd experienced since Althea in Townsville when I was a kid and yes I was shitting myself.

filski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Mar 14, 2011
I was living in White Rock at the time. Winifred formed off the east coast of Cape York and tracked south/south east gradually getting closer to the coast. On the Saturday morning once she cleared Mt Bellenden Kerr and Bartle Frere swung almost due west hence the locals theory about the mountain range effect. Looking out to sea that morning was the blackest sky I've ever seen, the street lights were still on at 9am.
Winifred was the first significant cyclone I'd experienced since Althea in Townsville when I was a kid and yes I was shitting myself.
I distinctly remember Winifred - there was a moment we heard rather than saw. We were in the backyard and it hadn't been too bad to that point. Then a sound like a plane preparing to take off, we saw the massive tree 200m away across the creek literally explode - leaves blown off and small branches. We all turned and ran.

I dunno where I heard the story about the peninsular now*. Mum used to tell it but was sure it was more common knowledge.

*when that tree exploded, winds were from the NE.

Seafm

Too far from the snow
Ski Pass
Jun 5, 2014
Cairns, Queensland
I distinctly remember Winifred - there was a moment we heard rather than saw. We were in the backyard and it hadn't been too bad to that point. Then a sound like a plane preparing to take off, we saw the massive tree 200m away across the creek literally explode - leaves blown off and small branches. We all turned and ran.

I dunno where I heard the story about the peninsular now*. Mum used to tell it but was sure it was more common knowledge.

*when that tree exploded, winds were from the NE.
Based on that wind direction it sounds you were in Innisfail or not far south, right in the firing line.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
What's with Cheech Marron sitting between the pilots in that video controlling the big lever?
Is that a normal seating configuration in the P3 or just setup for that plane for flying into Hurricanes?
Just for flights into hurricanes. He's working just the throttles - you wouldn't normally need such frequent adjustment on a normal flight, but when you're in the middle of a hurricane you're going to have sudden shear all over the place so you need someone alert and working the throttles while the pilots just concentrate on keeping the thing the right way up!

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Latest guidance suggests that Miami and the east coast of Florida will be spared the worst, which will be reserved for Tampa.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass