Hut near lake mountain or similar?

Time

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2008
A few mates are keen to do a first overnight trip, but haven't had much time on snow, so i'm after a easy place to introduce them to. I don't spend much time in VIC BC but have read some pretty good things about lake mountain.

Is there a snow shoe access to a hut or overnight spot in lake mountain area at all?

Time.

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Yes cannot remember name of it but from Trail to the north of Lake Mt there is a fire trail down hill to a fairly new hut that I think has fire place or pot belly stove ...not difficult walk and not to far from Plateau...Boundary Hut got burnt down but before that ruin there is a track to the NW roughly that decends to a newly built hut..Teckel can help you with more detail...

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
Otherwise consider taking em to stirling....bluff spur hut...basically a walk shoe or ski up a clear protected trail

teckel

"I'm not a cat"
Ski Pass
Oct 16, 2004
Narbethong, Vic
www.mysticmountainsskihire.com.au
Yep. Keppels Hut. It was rebuilt after burning down on Black Saturday. Or you can tent camp on the ski trails. Keppels would be under snow now, but isn't always, as it's downhill from the mountain.

Pre-fire (shingle roof)
zIMG_1008.JPG

Post fire (tin roof)
05-Heidi%20checks%20out%20the%20newly%20built%20Keppel%20Hut.JPG

Last edited:

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
A hut! That's what the Lake needs. A destination for better skiers in ordinary weather.

As it is, there's loops for lunching back at base or at a lookout in good weather. But like Mt St Gwinnear it could do with a hut out back.

Best spot - probably rebuild Boundary or maybe on the furthest point on Jubilee.

Doubt it could happen though - parties seem fairly anti hut. Maybe we could advocate Boundary Hut #2 for heritage & cultural reasons??? Any ideas folks?

Reactions: ladycamper

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
That was meant to read 'Parkies' not 'Parties'.
(apologies to PV people without a voice who do favour huts! Such a shame we Aussies cringe at simple BC huts but don't worry about damage 5000 bed villages and lifts. (Which I admit I use often these days!!)

Very Strange! :(

Time

Hard Yards
Aug 18, 2008
Otherwise consider taking em to stirling....bluff spur hut...basically a walk shoe or ski up a clear protected trail
This seems like the better idea i think!

Where is best to park and where do you start from in winter?

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
drive to telephone box junction after paying entry fee at mirimbah, head up bluff spur trail which is the one on the right past the ski hire. takes about 2 hours of fairly constant uphill to get to hut. take firelighters for the fire, the ashes draw at the bottom allows to manage air into firebox. if weather is good go for a wander to the summit or around to some of the other trails. leave intentions with the patrollers at tbj

Reactions: ladycamper
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

it123

Addicted
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2004
Melbourne
You could camp at Mt Buffalo, snow shoe in to Lake Catani camp ground, they have the stone day shelter and toilet. Need to book though.

mr

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 24, 2003
melbourne
I didn't think catani was open in winter......maybe its changed

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
they really should rebuild boundary hut with some nice big glassy walls and a good wood stove inside …keep the family groups happy on those borderline days….give them a warm place to sit in tranquil surrounds …..

anti hut lobby have had there day and its time to build for the future….tho the snow future could be a challenge//who knows ...

CaptainC

Addicted
Jun 15, 2005
Melbourne
Parks Victoria do allow camping at Lake Catani in the snow season now. Go to http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks/mount-buffalo-national-park and download the snow season guide. There is a drop toilet hidden in the trees behind the picnic shelter. I went there on the weekend and it even had about 4 rolls of toilet paper. Main issue would be that Lake Catani water needs to be treated. Maybe you could melt snow, there is plenty at the moment.

stansi

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 1, 2007
Shepparton Vic.
This seems like the better idea i think!

Where is best to park and where do you start from in winter?

There are also other Huts and camp sites at Mount Stirling.
- King Saddle Shelter. with toilets
- Razorback Hut with toilets
- Mt. Number 3 Hut with toilet
- Woolybutt Saddle Hut with toilets
- King Spur Hut with toilet
- GGS Hut with toilets
- Craigs Hut with toilets
- Bluff Spur Hut with toilet

download the PDF map from the Stirling site.

Reactions: Ubiquitous Steve
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass