1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question "Hyvent" Jacket material

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by chook_123, Sep 7, 2019.

1. chook_123

chook_123 First Runs

Looking at getting a Northface jacket and narrowed it down to 2 being the "lost trail" and the "Fuseform brigadine 3L". I think the only real difference is that the "Fuseform" jacket isn't Goretex but some hyvent material. I've only had experience with Goretex jackets and don't know if the 3 layers of hyvent will outperform the 2 Layers of Goretex that the "lost trail" has? Has anyone had experience with either jacket or that hyvent material?

Attached Files:

2. Spence

Spence One of Us

Good day Chook 123. Just so happened that I found myself in the North Face shop in Bondi Junction yesterday. I was looking at the Lost Trail jacket as well. The shop assistant said that TNF were moving their entire range to hyvent and moving forward were not going to be using Gore Tex at all. He was telling me about how the new fabric was superior. My doubts would be with longevity. My current TNF Mountain jacket has lasted since the early 90’s with the membrane only just starting to break down. So I am looking for a new jacket myself but I think I will stick Gote Tex. if I get the same years of usage it will probably be the last ski jacket I’ll ever need.

Jacko4650 likes this.
  3. chook_123

chook_123 First Runs

Thanks mate, might stick with what i know

4. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I had TNF Hyvent pants. They were fine, rugged, but quite heavy. I also didn’t think they were particularly breathable. As a reliable rugged pant though I thought they were good. No match for GoreTx though

Spence and Jacko4650 like this.
  5. teleroo

teleroo One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Gore Tex was always the bee's knees. But lots of alternatives these days and not much to objectively compare by, so is frustrating. Hard to know when manufactures switch from Gore Tex because of genuinely better/equal performance or to save a buck or to go with their own in house fabric that the marketers want.

FWIW, I was always a Gore Tex fanboy, but have been happy/pleasantly surprised with Mont Hydronaut pants and whatever is on my not too expensive Columbia ski parka (omni/vent/tech/something)

Spence likes this.
  6. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I had a couple of TNF hyvent jackets. Also recently had goretex (patagonia)

The hyvent jackets were completely waterproof, even on damp aussie days. Also windproof. Not as “crinkly” or noisy as goretex. On the downside the colours faded very badly after around 50-100 days.

Goretex is lighter. Also goretex is more breathable. The goretex is noticeably more comfortable on warm days, due to breathability. It seems to matter less if I get the layering slightly wrong with goretex.

nfip and Spence like this.