I made a mistake and bought a too-long ski online

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
A bit of background. I'm 163cm so I'm short and my weight ranges between 60-70kg during the season so I'm on the fat side. I'm an intermediate skier. I don't often do off-piste, mostly on the regular runs.

I have a beginner flex ski that is 152cm long. When in ski school the instructor told me I should buy a more rigid and longer ski. He suggested a length between 156-158cm which is in line with other online ski-size calculator websites.

I bought a pair of intermediate skis online. For some reason, it turned out that I chose 163cm instead of 156cm. I didn't realise this until I got the ski and saw the size label. Note on the ski length: when I actually measured it against my body it's about my forehead so it's more like 161cm than 163cm.

Sending it back is out of the question because the site is US based. I'm now worried that the excess length (about 5cm) will make it hard for me to ski or make it dangerous because I'm not used to long ski as I have been skiing short skis since the beginning.

What's your opinion and any suggestions?

Thank you.

Annabuzzy

That's 'ma Lord Buzzy to you
Ski Pass
Jul 31, 2012
Sydney
A bit of background. I'm 163cm so I'm short and my weight ranges between 60-70kg during the season so I'm on the fat side. I'm an intermediate skier. I don't often do off-piste, mostly on the regular runs.

I have a beginner flex ski that is 152cm long. When in ski school the instructor told me I should buy a more rigid and longer ski. He suggested a length between 156-158cm which is in line with other online ski-size calculator websites.

I bought a pair of intermediate skis online. For some reason, it turned out that I chose 163cm instead of 156cm. I didn't realise this until I got the ski and saw the size label. Note on the ski length: when I actually measured it against my body it's about my forehead so it's more like 161cm than 163cm.

Sending it back is out of the question because the site is US based. I'm now worried that the excess length (about 5cm) will make it hard for me to ski or make it dangerous because I'm not used to long ski as I have been skiing short skis since the beginning.

What's your opinion and any suggestion?

Thank you.
I don’t think thats wildly excessive. If you were an advanced skier the length would be bang on - maybe even a touch short. You’ll barely notice the length difference. I think they’ll be fine. My wife is circa 65kg and skis 163-165cm skis. She found circa 156 too short.

Dos

One of Us
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Visit site
Thank you, everyone. That makes me feel better.

Let's hope I get a chance to try it this year be it Northern winter or our winter.

@Sandy It's actually an old ski. Salomon X-Max X6 2017/2018. I bought it in 2019, but it arrived late and I didn't get to use it in 2019. Then Covid happened. I didn't get to ski at all during these past two years so I didn't give it much of a thought and just forgot about it.

I can't find the exact information that specifies whether it has rocker on the tip or not or what it is. Maybe it's too old now.

ski_salomon-x-max-x6-2017_n10219-7219-1_l.jpg

Reactions: Richard and Chaeron

Richard

Maintenance Dept
Administrator
Mar 14, 1995
Clarence Town
FYI @Dos

Ski length is the length of the rail of the ski which basically includes the full radius cut -- like measuring a long curved beach - not the height of the ski measured against the doorway jam like you measure your kids heights as they grow.

Plus. You will be fine (as others have said). You may have a bit of trouble not chattering your tips against each other at first so hunker down and use a slightly wider stance -- and go hard on some nice early morning groomed runs to start with.

DPS Driver

A Local
Jul 18, 2014
They're too old. Best you pop out to a local ski shop and buy a newer pair.

Just an FYI, I'm a ski rep so I may or may not be biased. ;)

They'll be fine. You'll appreciate the extra length in no time. It's only 2.5cm either end.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Moondog55

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 2014
They're too old. Best you pop out to a local ski shop and buy a newer pair.

Just an FYI, I'm a ski rep so I may or may not be biased. ;)

They'll be fine. You'll appreciate the extra length in no time. It's only 2.5cm either end.
It's even less if you think about it in inches. There's only one place where a couple of extra inches is really noticed.

• Haha
Reactions: Marty McSly and Dos

linked_recoveries

One of Us
May 13, 2015
Sydney CBD
If they initially feel a little long, and you get that 'wandering tips' feeling, you can use the adjustment of the bindings (or get a fitter to do it for you) to mount yourself a little forward on the ski. Start with 10-15mm (or so) then go for a ski and see how it feels.

Reactions: Dos and Richard
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass