1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

I think I’ve created a monster...

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Peanut, May 17, 2020.

1. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I was reading last night while winding down for bed when Mstr 9 approached me.

Mstr 9: I haven’t been skiing in a really long time.
    Me: Dude, we all went together in early September last year.
    M9: Yeah, but that was ages ago.
    Me: Yeah, I suppose.
    M9: Mum, I really need to go skiing.
    Me: I know mate, me too.

*Goes quiet for about 30 seconds.*

M9: Mum, what’s the V8?
    Me: It’s an 8 seat chair lift on Front Valley at Perisher.
    M9: Where’s Front Valley?
    Me: Do you remember when we skied across from Smigs for lunch on the first day of our trip last year for lunch?
    M9: No.
    Me: Then we skied back across to Smigs and got rained on?
    M9: No.
    Me: Let me see if I can find you a video of the V8...

*Watch a couple of YouTube clips together that show the V8.*

M9: I want to go to Thredbo with you.
    Me: You can’t. It’s a uni trip.
    M9: That’s not fair that you get to go skiing for a whole week without the rest of the family.
    Me: But I have to get better so I can keep up with you lot.
    M9: I’m really not happy with you, Mum.

What have I created?

Ian D, sly_karma, mr and 20 others like this.
  2. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

"What have I created"

A money pit and a life long addiction to something fun :D

3. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Wait until they get faster than you and are waiting down the end the run tapping their skis.
    Me: Rightio mate , try this one . It’s a black run with reasonable moguls but you should be fine.
    M 12 (after completing the run 30 sec before me.) Hurry up dad.
    Me: don’t be a smartass mate. Who pays for your skiing?
    M12 : ok boomer.

4. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

Definitely. It’s even more of a money pit when the kid needs adaptive private lessons, but the joy on his face is so worth it. :)

cold wombat and Roymond like this.
  5. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

He’s already faster than me, more confident on blue runs and still skis snowplough!

Last year I had a couple of private lessons and wanted to show the family a run we hadn’t done together. M9 kept shooting off in front and going the wrong way.

Also, the boomer thing - rude! I had a student ‘ok boomer’ me last year. I eyeballed him over my glasses, indignantly told him that I’m a millennial, and that members of my generation made that up as a protest against members of my parents’ generation that blame us for the social and financial struggles that many of us are facing at a period of our lives when they themselves were benefitting from a post-war boom. I then followed up with telling said student to get back in their box.

6. qwill

qwill Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It's no fun when we sound like our parents................

7. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Someone's trying to pick a fight! ;)

Jacko4650, cold wombat and Peanut like this.
  8. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

Not me. I understand why people get frustrated, but slagging off people and generalising a whole generation does nothing to actually address the issues people are facing. Also, I’ve had way too much of people putting me down and dismissing me for things I have no control over (age, gender, interests) my whole life to think that the ‘ok boomer’ thing is an ok thing.

skifree likes this.
  9. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

As well as down right scary!

Marty_McSly, cold wombat and Peanut like this.
  10. Karicta

Karicta A Local Ski Pass: Gold

You’re right

you’ve created a monster.

Chaeron, cold wombat and Peanut like this.
  11. skichanger

It could be worse, one of mine took up mogul skiing.........

Upside is we now have our own personal ski instructor. DH was the practice student pre level 3 exams. Worked for both of them.

12. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

In fairness to him, I’m actually gen x but it’s a running joke that when I act like a boomer I can get called out on it. Started with that damn baby yoda meme.

cold wombat, Peanut and snowgum like this.
  13. Legs Akimbo

Legs Akimbo Grumblebum Ski Pass: Gold

Wait until the question is "Where are we going skiing this summer?" instead of "Will we..."

14. nezumi

nezumi One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

After a trip with friends late last year, I got told that my son had drawn a picture of "Mt Bulla" because he was sad that I went without him.

He was 3 at the time....

Peanut, skiflat, Chaeron and 4 others like this.
  15. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I’m dreading the opposite ‘Dad can we go to Noosa in September with all my friends???’

16. smackies

smackies A Local

We closed. ;)

17. chrisj

chrisj A Local Ski Pass: Gold

What goes around, comes around.
    Can you see a certain irony here?

teckel, TinkyH23 and cold wombat like this.
  18. nezumi

OK Boomer.

skiflat and cold wombat like this.
  19. nezumi

A more articulate and nuanced response: There is a clear distinction between Peanut's comments of "members of a generation", and ascribing a pre-determined set of attributes to an entire generation writ large.

"OK Boomer" as a concept derives from the dismissive advice and attitudes often exhibited by members of the Baby Boomer generation, especially around things like how to get ahead in life, saving for a home, job hunting, and even matters as far reaching as gender identity and sexuality. It is best used when it is clear that the "Boomer" in question is not interested in actually learning, but wishes to take an authoritative position over someone and not learn. It is shorthand for "I don't have the time or energy to waste trying to discuss this with you and educate you on something when I believe that you will not engage with me in good-faith".

sly_karma and Peanut like this.
  20. chrisj

And yet you cannot see the irony in using a cliché to dismiss an entire generation.

21. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

@Peanut many people felt Frankenstein's creation was a monster but you should be proud that you have helped to mould another generational member of elite snow lovers

crackson and Peanut like this.
  22. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I have one that wants to learn to do jumps and stuff. I’ve told him he needs to learn to ski parallel first.

crackson likes this.
  23. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

Pfft. I wish. I’d be pushing that myself if we had the money. Also, M9 has to stop having meltdowns in international airports first.

24. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

And in the context I was ‘ok boomered’ was to tell a kid that was about to drink out of a beaker in a science class not to drink out of said beaker. I find that comment highly problematic as is, but I was pretty furious to have it used against me by a 15 year old who doesn’t understand the context of the origins of the comment, and who was seeking to dismiss me when I was stopping him from doing something blatantly dangerous.

cold wombat, crackson and nezumi like this.
  25. nezumi

And you cannot see that the very definition of a generation is a group that shares similar and distinct characteristics by virtue of similar formative experiences in childhood.

As it stands, "OK Boomer" is not strictly limited to members of the Baby Boomer generation, but to anyone who is blinded by their own privilege and takes an attitude of "I've got mine, so why should I help you get yours. A twenty year old with a trust fund is just as likely to be on the receiving end of an "OK Boomer" as someone actually born in 1950.

It's the same as a "Karen". Although you don't *have* to be a 40 something white woman sporting a bob cut with highlights to be described as a "Karen", it is certainly more common. The term, however, applies to anyone who goes ballistic over the slightest infraction by service staff, whether real or perceived, and demands to see the manager.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  26. chrisj

No, a generation is simply a cohort of individuals born in a given 20 year period of time. The boomers were as diverse a group as any other generation, yet you seek to define them by their supposed "similar and distinct characteristics". The boomer generation spawned the environmental movement, women's liberation, the anti-war movement, Gay rights, yet you characterise them as a bunch of old farts, jealously guarding their real estate investments. What you need to understand is that in every generation, a proportion of people become increasingly selfish and conservative as they age. It will happen to your generation one day. Then some succeeding generation will blame you all. What goes around, comes around.

whether, teckel, TinkyH23 and 2 others like this.
  27. gareth_oau

gareth_oau Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

tell the kid not to look at it so much as boomering but looking after the mentally disabled

Peanut and cold wombat like this.
  28. skichanger

Absolutely! Actually if he is flying down the mountain in a snow plow he really does need to progress from that. To be honest it should not be that hard if you can get him to follow someone else. Kids model without realising they are doing it. Also work on how much more he will enjoy skiing if he can parallel.

Peanut and crackson like this.
  29. nezumi

The Greatest Generation - 1901-1927. 28 years
    The Silent Generation - 1928 - 1945. 18 years
    Baby Boomers - 1946 - 1964. 19 years
    Generation X - 1965 - 1980. 16 years
    Millenials - 1981 - 1996. 16 years

The definitions of generations are taken from societal and cultural attributes based on markers of change, otherwise it would be every 10/15/20/arbitrary number of years. It's also part and parcel of how generations are named - after all, Baby Boomers would not be know as such if there wasn't a rapid increase in the birth rate in the post war years.

I don't discount any of the achievements and advancements of the baby boomer generation, but I do discount your assessment of the "OK Boomer" phrase. It is used as a counter to say, in essence, "I do not wish to waste my time debating with you, when I have no confidence that you are engaging in good faith. Your attitudes are outdated and you are most likely set in your ways and unwilling to change, so there is nothing to be gained from this exchange".

As far as people inaccurately ascribing behaviours to a generation, I am a Millenial (or more accurately a Xennial by the sub-generations theories), so I am well accustomed to being stereotyped as lazy (while also killing innumerable industries).

Telemark Phat likes this.
  30. chrisj

Ok, well @Peanut first defended the usage of the term "OK Boomer", then objected to a younger person using it on her. I responded with "What goes around, comes around" and based on that you "OK boomered" me. I gather you were able to surmise from my comment that "your attitudes are outdated and you are most likely set in your ways and unwilling to change".
    My "attitude" is that it makes no more sense to prejudge anyone based on when they were born than it does to prejudge them based on their race or gender. If that attitude is outdated in your eyes, so be it.

whether and cold wombat like this.
  31. nezumi

See, there's the fundamental difference in perception. I read "members of ... generation" to mean "some people within", not "all". To my reading,
    says that the term is used against some members of the Baby Boomer generation, rather than against the generation as a whole.

Telemark Phat and Ozgirl like this.
  32. nezumi

Because it was an ironic approach to what I perceived as an irrational rage at the mere description of a term and how it was formed. Peanut never said that she used the term 'OK Boomer' - she merely provided the context for the genesis of the term to a student who was using it in a wholly inappropriate manner. You appeared to take umbrage with this and treated it as if she had used it as an intentional slight.

33. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

It is quite concerning that so many people feel the need to explain themselves.

Telemark Phat and DPS Driver like this.
  34. chrisj

Definitely not umbrage - more amusement. The 15 year old in question was basically saying, "You're from an older generation than mine. Therefore anything you have to say is irrelevant". Same as everyone else who says "OK Boomer".

35. iagreewithhim

iagreewithhim One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Some of you people seem to have trouble telling the difference between a phrase and an attitude. The phrase "ok boomer" has been around for a year or so(?). The attitude it encapsulates (dismissive of anyone over a certain age) has been around for donkeys years. Nothing has changed, except that people now have a new word to put in their memes.

chrisj, whether, nezumi and 1 other person like this.
  36. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

37. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

It’s the new “whatever”.

cold wombat and Bogong like this.
  38. Billy_Buttons

Billy_Buttons Que Sera, Sera Ski Pass: Gold

Some people just don't appear to ever grow out of their teenage years of rejection of their oldies opinions or sage advice.

teckel likes this.
  39. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

I never defended the use of “OK Boomer”. I objected to it being used toward me by someone (a 15 year old student) who blantantly didn’t understand either the origin of the term or the fact that I’m not even old enough to be a boomer. I sought to explain the context of its origins to the person who called me a boomer. I actually hate the use of the term in any context and would never defend it’s use.

Or I could have just walked away from the student in question after he ‘OK Boomered’ me, not said anything further and let him drink a corrosive substance...

cold wombat, nezumi and chrisj like this.
  40. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thread running nicely on topic.

41. Peanut

Peanut One of Us

The plan is to get both kids into adpative lessons together. I’d say that after 4-5 days on the snow with a few 3 hour lessons in the morning, they’ll pick it up quickly enough. I’m not sure what the progression is from there to get into jumps/freestyle.

nezumi likes this.
  42. crackson

crackson A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Parallel with good speed control is enough to start doing little jumps.

Work up to bigger jumps very slowly.

Wear a helmet.

And make it fun.

Peanut and Lady Penelope like this.
  43. skichanger

It depends on what they/you want to do and how often they can get to the resorts. My eldest went through Perisher Winter Sports club and is now coaching moguls there. Not sure that I would recommend anyone going down the path we went down though.

Work out what outcome you want and talk to ski school. Filter everything you get told.

Peanut and crackson like this.
  44. skichanger

Scariest thing I have encountered in the last year was the person in their early twenties who blindly believed everything their parents told them. :eek: The idea of my kids not questioning at least some of the things we say would mean I have been a failure as a parent. Does not mean being rude is ok though.

Roymond, dawooduck and nezumi like this.
  45. MisterMxyzptlk

MisterMxyzptlk Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Not sure if the OP refers to child or this thread

nezumi and Dave6 like this.
  46. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

WhyNotBoth.gif

nezumi likes this.
  47. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

I still want to know what the proper OK is for Millennials. We have OK Boomers, and OK Karen, but nothing for Millennials.

48. Telemark Phat

Ok Boomer

49. Telemark Phat

Don't stress the parallel thing. You haven't described where on the spectrum your son sits, but generally being on the spectrum slows a childs physical development. I would not be surprised if he is yet to develop the required balance and strength to ski without a snow plough.

Ozgirl likes this.
  50. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Ok No