1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question I Want a pair of twin tips - Jskis anybody? Length??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Young Angus, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Early Days

I've been ripping on a pair of Black Crows Orbs this season and they've been fantastic. I'm 170cm tall and they are 172cm length skis and are just right it seems.

I am looking for some skis that are a bit wider for skiing overseas in Japan or America and I'd like these to be more "free ski" orientated. Black Crows obviously have a lot of great options, but I love the look of the J Skis and really like the company's story and their skis by all accounts seem pretty awesome.

Got my eyes on The Metal, anyone skied these before? Allplay sounds fun but I like the idea of the extra width on The Metal and it still having good groomer ripping ability.

Also it comes in a 173cm and a 180cm length, my first instinct would be to go for the 173cm because it's close to the Orbs I've got but what are people's opinions about it being double rockered and if that means I could comfortably go up to 180cm (maybe the 173cm would feel too short??)...?

Any thoughts? Jskis look damn cool too!!! We all know that's important :)

2. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Your post is somewhat confusing but I think you are saying YOU want a pair of twin tips and are looking at the https://jskis.com/collections/skis line up.

There really is no choice.

[​IMG]

PS will edit your thread title.

Sage Oya and Young Angus like this.
  3. Young Angus

Young Angus Early Days

Haha yes that is correct thanks for clearing that up :)

4. skifree

skifree grey Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Do tell me you have placed an order for the FULL TURBO.

5. Any

Any One of Us

Go the 180.

I add at least 5 cm to the ski length when buying twin tips.
    when considering early rise of the j metal you've got even less ski on the ground when skiing piste also. vs the black crow orbs without an early rise.

so id probably recommend 180cm twin tip over the 173cm.
    180cm, -5cm for twin tip, and another -3-4cm for early rise, and you're back to the 172cm that you're comfortable with.

maybe go for a lighter binding to make up for the extra weight of the j skis over the crows.

ps: the metal look like a pretty cool ski. ill stay with my bacons for that lightweight core and deep sidecut, but you had me thinking about their eventual replacement for a minute there :p

Young Angus likes this.
  6. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

J-skis are over hyped.
    If you want something boutique, look at a moment wildcat 108 or an icelandic Nomad 105.
    More mainstream brands check out something like.
    Atomic Bentchetler 120 or 100 depending on width you want.
    Faction Candide 3.0 is a nice ski, directional twin.
    Line Bacons are a sweet ski too.

Young Angus and Sage Oya like this.