1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question I Want a pair of twin tips - Jskis anybody? Length??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Young Angus, Sep 16, 2019.

1. Young Angus

Young Angus Hard Yards

I've been ripping on a pair of Black Crows Orbs this season and they've been fantastic. I'm 170cm tall and they are 172cm length skis and are just right it seems.

I am looking for some skis that are a bit wider for skiing overseas in Japan or America and I'd like these to be more "free ski" orientated. Black Crows obviously have a lot of great options, but I love the look of the J Skis and really like the company's story and their skis by all accounts seem pretty awesome.

Got my eyes on The Metal, anyone skied these before? Allplay sounds fun but I like the idea of the extra width on The Metal and it still having good groomer ripping ability.

Also it comes in a 173cm and a 180cm length, my first instinct would be to go for the 173cm because it's close to the Orbs I've got but what are people's opinions about it being double rockered and if that means I could comfortably go up to 180cm (maybe the 173cm would feel too short??)...?

Any thoughts? Jskis look damn cool too!!! We all know that's important :)

2. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Your post is somewhat confusing but I think you are saying YOU want a pair of twin tips and are looking at the https://jskis.com/collections/skis line up.

There really is no choice.

[​IMG]

PS will edit your thread title.

Snowy Joey, Sage Oya and Young Angus like this.
  3. Young Angus

Young Angus Hard Yards

Haha yes that is correct thanks for clearing that up :)

4. skifree

skifree A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Do tell me you have placed an order for the FULL TURBO.

5. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Go the 180.

I add at least 5 cm to the ski length when buying twin tips.
    when considering early rise of the j metal you've got even less ski on the ground when skiing piste also. vs the black crow orbs without an early rise.

so id probably recommend 180cm twin tip over the 173cm.
    180cm, -5cm for twin tip, and another -3-4cm for early rise, and you're back to the 172cm that you're comfortable with.

maybe go for a lighter binding to make up for the extra weight of the j skis over the crows.

ps: the metal look like a pretty cool ski. ill stay with my bacons for that lightweight core and deep sidecut, but you had me thinking about their eventual replacement for a minute there :p

Young Angus likes this.
  6. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

J-skis are over hyped.
    If you want something boutique, look at a moment wildcat 108 or an icelandic Nomad 105.
    More mainstream brands check out something like.
    Atomic Bentchetler 120 or 100 depending on width you want.
    Faction Candide 3.0 is a nice ski, directional twin.
    Line Bacons are a sweet ski too.

Any, Young Angus and Sage Oya like this.
  7. Young Angus

Young Angus Hard Yards

So haven't posted in this thread for a while but back on the hunt for some twin tips and looking at something mainstream like the K2 Poacher. Looks like it's a very decent ski. Basically I want something that's going to be easy for me to learn switch and some tricks on while still being great on groomers if I want to have a bit of a carve.

This one sounds like a good one. I don't know much about the other ones mentioned above but I'll look into them cheers!

8. teleroo

teleroo still looking for Thredbo in the Park Ski Pass: Gold

Bloke on FB market place selling a set of 2019 Armada ARV 96s 184 cm. Bulli NSW. $575, but been for sale for a while. Still in wrapping. I bought previous yrs ARVs off him, also brand new.

9. Young Angus

Young Angus Hard Yards

I don't know anything about those skis but I'm thinking 184cm would be too long for me. I'm 170cm tall and I was looking for a set around 170-175cm maybe in length...you reckon they'd be too long for me?

10. Any

not sure you've mentioned your ability?

im 175cm i think (after the "accident"), advanced skiier, and very comfortable on 186cm skis.
    even when i was high intermediate, my first 185's felt scary long cause theyre taller than me!, but because theyre twin tip rocker camber rocker they were fine.
    arv is the same, theyre also twin tip rocker camber rocker. at least 15-20cm of that ski isn't touching the snow on firm pack.

however i wouldn't bring anything less than about a 100mm waist to japan.
    but i wouldnt take anything over about 115 to colorado (used to live there, not sure about elsewhere).

$575 isnt bad for a new pair of Armadas.
    but if you are paying for a new pair of skis, you may as well get exactly what you're after, not just whatever is available.

in Tokyo there is a street with a shitloads of ski shops competing against eachother. not huge amounts of western pow/rockercamberrocker skis, but quite a few still.
    almost anywhere in USA you can expect to find better prices than in AU or Japan too.
    if you're buying skis at the start of a ski trip you have to be quite flexible with what you want tho, they may not have brand xyz model abc in stock.

Young Angus likes this.
  11. teleroo

teleroo still looking for Thredbo in the Park Ski Pass: Gold

From the Armada website

Young Angus likes this.
  12. Young Angus

Young Angus Hard Yards

Hmm my ability is probably still classified as a mid to strong intermediate. Definitely not classifying myself as advanced yet.

I guess everyone is different when it comes to ski length but it gets confusing...most people I talk to say go longer because of the tip and tail rocker shortening the effective edge and then the websites still say to go for something up to your eye line even with some twin tips...which for me would be around 166cm. Would much rather just go to the USA on a trip and get some over there, would probably be able to get a crackin' deal on some good skis and bindings, shame our dollar is so rubbish right now though it ends up not being much different to just buying here.

13. Any

this is why I dont like to comment specifically on xyz vs abc skis. its soo subjective.
    i wonder if you can find a demo day somewhere. or better yet, find a rental store like rhythm that has a good range of new skis in stock and lets you swap rental skis unlimited times so you can try everything. you could ski 20 different models and brands in one day.
    i can say that when i found my match i knew it within the first run.

while rockered skis effective edge is shorter and so theyre easier to turn, you still have all that swing weight there that i think someone inexperienced might try to just force around and blow out their acls. so i think ski length is still a factor even when theyre not touching the snow.

when i was mid-strong intermediate i specifically went shorter (166cm skis vs about 179cm tall) and found the skis so much more fun and easier to play with. the boost in confidence really helped me improve /etc and the lighter softer skis sometimes let me get away with poor technique while i was still improving.
    they were twin tips, but was before the days of rockered and early rise skis. so 166 rockered would be even more exaggerated.
    however after about 3 weeks of on-snow time i regretted not going the next size up tho. they started to feel like snow blades and I thought I might be developing bad habits instead, I felt like I was just using my ass to turn half the time.

maybe you should plan to do the rental tryout thing.

DPS Driver likes this.
  14. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

@Young Angus If you're not sure on length, let's ask a few questions and we can probably help you lean in one direction.
    • How old are you?
    • What weight are you?
    • How fit are you?
    • How long have you been skiing?
    • Where do you want to ski these skis? Japan & America.
    • What's is your preferred turn length, short, medium, long?
    • How much off piste versus on piste do you do %?
    • What's your preferred skiing style, park, piste, side country, back country, big mountain?
    • What's your preferred speed slow, medium, fast?
    Answers these questions and we can help with length.

azzski and mannyk like this.