Advice needed Ice axe and Crampons

EthanW

First Runs
May 31, 2021
Hey guys, I'm planning on doing a winter backcountry camping trip this July. I have no concerns about required gear with the exception of crampons and an ice axe. I am not sure if they are necessary to take. Currently, I would probably take micro-spikes and an ice axe. We don't ascend a slope steeper than 15 degrees and will only go ahead if weather is favourable so I'm wondering if this is overkill. Also will have snowshoes.

Here is the route for reference https://www.gaiagps.com/map/?loc=11...&trackId=5bfc1fe3-4e6f-4b3d-b133-ccc4bd229549

If anyone has any other comments or advice about the route its always welcome.

Cheers in advance

Reactions: Jacko4650

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
Welcome to the forums! Hopefully we get some snow.

Link doesn’t work…..

Take ski crampons…. and skis…. Or just snowshoes. Not both.

or if you’re a snowboarder then hire some splitties….

If you’re on snowshoes don’t bother with crampons etc.

Scope out the terrain, stay within the sensible bounds of the weather report, don’t do anything sketchy beyond your comfort zone, work up to it. Just enjoy being out there.

Multilple day trips prior to overnight will take the edge off easing into being on the snow out of bounds - one covers way more distance and has way more fun on skis with a light day pack than with a heavy pack….

There’s enough out there in the side country for you to extend your experience initially without having to concern yourself with lines and conditions that turn an enjoyable day into a horror show for beginners (the situations that require crampons and ice axes - and they’re no use unless you’re practiced in their use)

Exposure and slipping on ice on sketchy terrain has done for more folk than avalanches….

Trees and uncontrolled speed on skis don’t mix well.

If you’re really keen on hauling the extra weight just in case then hire rather than buy the axes and crampons - Wilderness Sports or Rhythm in NSW, Ajays or The Wilderness Shop in Vic…. Not exxy….

But carrying metal will mean you’re either leaving behind single/double malt or carrying more so you’ll skin up more slowly and ski down less comfortably.

Those that ski to the conditions and the terrain when starting out carry less, not more, but conform their expectations to the weather report and to their level of experience.

Moving off piste to camp on the snow is like hiking with a heavy pack as opposed to running in the city - the trail runners have the best of it by gaining distance through fitness while being less concerned with bringing the kitchen sink.

Enjoy!

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Annotation 2021-06-01 074737.jpg

Route from OPs link.

Reactions: nezumi

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Remember Ice tools can make things safe, but they also allow you to get into much more trouble.
A bit like having a winch on the front of a 4wd. If you need to use it then should you really be there and then it can be pulling you into more trouble. Just hypothetically speaking. Maybe tools will also help with a safe retreat. Bit like having a winch on the back of the car. It is unclear if it is a ski trip or snowshoe trip. Agreed not to take snowshoes if you have skis.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Any insight/particular reason for route shown, seems a bit circuitous missing some good bits?

EthanW

First Runs
May 31, 2021
Treat this route as drawn very much as a guide only. If you follow the route absolutely accurately you will run into various obstacles. So do not follow this route in a white out.

Are you on skis or board?

How many nights?

Proposed camps sites on the proposed route?

Hey mate,

Will not be on either just snowshoeing.

Planned for 3 nights

Campsites are Mt Clark, Johnnies Hill and near seamans hut. However as you can see from the route it'd be very easy to cut it shorter if conditions etc made me go slower than estimated.

Cheers

EthanW

First Runs
May 31, 2021
Any insight/particular reason for route shown, seems a bit circuitous missing some good bits?

Hey mate
Ive planned to route to avoid any steeper gradients as well as make it possible to cut the length of the trip shorter if I was travelling slower than expected
Cheers

Reactions: Myazma

skifree

Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Hey mate,

Will not be on either just snowshoeing.

Planned for 3 nights

Campsites are Mt Clark, Johnnies Hill and near seamans hut. However as you can see from the route it'd be very easy to cut it shorter if conditions etc made me go slower than estimated.

Cheers
OK, looks doable. As you say I can see you can cut some corners if you are going too slow.

Good luck.

Reactions: EthanW and Chaeron

Xplora

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 7, 2015
Hey mate
Ive planned to route to avoid any steeper gradients as well as make it possible to cut the length of the trip shorter if I was travelling slower than expected
Cheers
If your using something like the MSR Evo snowshoes then leave the crampons behind but stay off any steep solid ice. They will work fine in most conditions with the toe spikes and metal ribs underneath. Mircospikes will suffice. Iceaxe requires practise same as self arresting with a whippet pole. You can do yourself a nasty injury if you don't know how to use one.

Reactions: EthanW
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass