1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Ice climbing Falls Creek

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by soza, May 1, 2014.

1. soza

soza One of Us

Posted this in the backcountry thread but thought some of those who enjoy FC cross country trails may have seen a nice spot to practice with crampons and an ice axe.

Last winter my wife and I had the oppertunity to camp out at Mt Loch and try a bit of ice climbing with some friends. The wife has always been an avid climber and its been on her to do list for many a year.
    Anyhow she has since built up a collection of gear and plans on attending an ASM introductory mountaineering course in Kosciuszko this winter with a view to climbing Mt Aspiring next year. (me, I get to tick heliboarding of the list)
    We intended to have a bit of a play at Mt Loch again but as we have season passes and resort entry passes for Falls wondered what options we had closer to FC resort.
    An `ice climbing` internet seach brings up serious multi pitch climbs at Bogong, Blue Lake and Buller but all we are after is easy access to a south facing drift steep enough to traverse for a couple of hours in a morning......something with a mellow pitch and safe bottom like Mt Loch but without the long trek in.
    We are both boarders so havent explored any of the FC backcountry but was thinking the ruined castle to Mt McKay might have something suitable.

2. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

sorry, don't know. If i see anyone who might I'll try to remember to ask. how far is too far to trek? would you consider xc skis to access via groomed trails?

3. weerab

weerab One of Us

What about Mt McKay? I guess it would be more of a snow climb than an ice climb. There's not really that much steep enough out from Falls.