Ice_man's Snow Report - 9 to 11 July 2010

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
Keeping each day of the weekend trip seperate as each day was very different.

Friday 9 July
Lifts Open: 3/7 (Tank Hill, Magic Carpet, Hut Run to tower 2)

Weather Conditions: Sunny, mild.

Snow Conditions: I wasn't expecting much given how much melt there had been through the week. Tank Hill was very soft on skier's right, but icy and dry to skier's left of the run as it was under the shade all day. There were a few very small exposed bits of grass toward the bottom of the run, all marked out. The small bit of hill open at the bottom of Hut Run/Summit was also soft, and the entire area was getting very wet towards the end of the day. Given how little terrain was open, there were still large lift lines!
Champagne run seemed OK... until I saw the end of the run. It had been left to the toboggans through the week, and there is nothing left.

Ice_man's Pick of the Day: Tank Hill as it was the only run fully open.

Saturday 10 July
Lifts Open: 4/7 (Tank Hill, Magic Carpet, Hut Run to Tower 4, Summit from about the middle to the top)

Weather Conditions: Gale force winds. Light rain showers.

Snow Conditions: Was quite surprised to learn that Ski Patrol had been working on opening up the upper half of Summit. There were massive holes in the lower half of the Summit lift track, but it was very good up higher. There were absolutely no holes on the part of Summit that was open until it got torn up near the bottom due to the traffic. Snow was a little soft, but still quite fast. The lift was accessed by going to Tower 4 on Hut Run, then following a track (boarders had to walk!) to the middle station of the Summit T-bar. To return to the village, the ski patrol advised removing skis and walking as the cover down lower was patchy, but everyone figured out they could go off to skier's right early and ski all the way back to the bottom. (Just had to watch out for the bulletproof ice patches!)
Tank Hill was very slow, partially due to the much softer snow, but also due to the wind blowing you back up the hill!

Ice_man's Pick of the Day: Upper half of Summit was very good. Apparently they had been trying to save it for some time, but I'm guessing they finally gave in
wink.gif

Sunday 11 July
Lifts Open: 0/7

Weather Conditions: Partly cloudy. Moderate winds.

Snow Conditions: Warm temps overnight had melted all the soft snow, leaving patches of packed ice in the village. The bottom of Summit/Tank Hill was like a frozen lake and was blocked off by Ski Patrol. What was opened yesterday could probably be opened today if the icy surfaces improve.

I didn't think I'd be skiing this week, I am completely surprised. Baw Baw isn't doing too bad given the poor start to the season. We aren't even halfway there yet, so anything could happen.

Last edited by a moderator:

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Thank you, Iceman, for such a detailed report which saves me from making the mistake of going up tomorrow. Here's hoping that this week's predicted weather events come through, with good snow after some rain, to create some better cover at BB and elsewhere.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
Looking forward to some skiing at Gwinear soon. LM is great but it is nice to have some views and be able to ski off track! You also save a heap in entry and trail head charges which is quite significant if you ski by yourself. Anyway, CC shouldn't you be at work tomorrow anyway? Actually, I have had quite a few short holidays recently, any quieter at work and I'll be able to get the seniors card they asked me if I had at LM the other day. I was quite upset about that! I said, yes I am senior but have got no card. She didn't understand and just thought I had left it at home!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Weerab, I have rearranged my life priorities so as to have much more time for skiing this year. Work is over-rated. Have skied 5 days so far, (including 3 days downhill on the manufactured stuff at crowded F.C.) but I'm waiting for the weather to do the right thing and open up the BB plateau. Might see you up there and check out those sadly scratched new skis.

weerab

One of Us
Jul 13, 2009
Beautiful Altona Victoria
Actually, I'm not doing too bad myself, I have had 2 "days" so far, one at Hotham and one at LM. Went to Mt Beauty the day after Hotham but could not go up to Falls as we had to do some work on the block of land we bought at Tawonga South. One of these days we will put a house/cabin on it and then I I can ski to my heart's content. btw, I bought some Ebay boots at end of last season which have turned out to be not such a great bargain. The soles are peeling off and it's costing $120 for resoles, could have almost bought a new pair!

snowgum

A Local
Ski Pass
May 4, 1999
vic
Thanks Icy - grooming team seem quite inventive!
Be nice to think the guns will be ready for tomorrow's cold blast.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass