Iconic backcountry tours in Canada (BC/AB)...?

Rolo

One of Us
Jul 28, 1998
ACT
Heya. So I've finally flipped out, done a life audit and decided that I need to spend at least a year away from my desk...so I'm headed to Canada in late November.

Will be based at Red Mountain/Rossland, but will only be working part time so should have a bit of flexibility for BC adventures. Have been doing a bit of looking and searching, but thought there might be some wise minds here that could point me to any iconic or "must do" backcountry skiing areas/tours/etc in that corner of Canada...?

Sort of thinking the Canadian equivalent of Haute Route, if there is one...

Cheers,
Rolo

Ziggy

A Local
Aug 24, 2003
Sounds great Rolo.

One of those extended BC hut to hut tours is on my bucket list.

Good luck.

BlueHue

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 17, 2003
South of Cooma
Rogers Pass not far out of Revelstoke is the one that comes immediately to my mind. Never been to that part of BC but heard plenty. Big mountains, big snow and...................... friggin big avalanches.

Alex.C

One of Us
Oct 14, 2003
Canmore
I can highly recommend a traverse of the Wapta icefields for a 4-8 day hut-hut trip, can be only as technical as you want it to be (glacier travel + avy skills as a minimum) depending on peaks you bag along the way. Not much else I can think of that is extended and a multiple hut to hut type trip in the Rockys though the Columbia icefields further North are _big_ and awesome. I'm less familiar with stuff further west though. I can however highly recommend the books below by Chic Scott:

Alpine Ski Tours in the Canadian Rockies: Summits & Icefields

Alpine Ski Tours in the Columbia Mountains: Summits & Icefields

Edit: I was going to link the TR I did of a quick 4 day trip across the Wapta but it seems to have gone away, so here's a few random photos from it:

514793233_FVPQS-M.jpg

514797200_YB5DQ-M.jpg

514806034_4FaaW-M.jpg

514804308_3xvdG-M.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass