Idea For Website

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Coastal suburban boonies.
Seems nobody has understood it. Try describing it in a bit more detail.

Are you only interested in "southerly" weather fronts?

How far in advance do you want notice?

How precise do you expect the timing to be?

What if there isn't a "southerly" in the forecast for the next day or two; do you want it to say "nothing to see here" or give you the expected conditions?

Or current obs?

Do you still want it to give you multi-day forecasts?

Cloud cover?

UV index?

There are lots of questions people ask about the weather. The more data the user interface tries to pack in the harder it is to see the data clearly. So presenting data such that you can see what you want without having to ask anything is complicated.
No. I want to know when the southerly will arrive.

SnowBound

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 7, 2007
Northern Beaches, Sydney
0hQyd5L.gif

POW Hungry

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 28, 2000
Eastern Burbs of Sydney
Seems nobody has understood it. Try describing it in a bit more detail.

Are you only interested in "southerly" weather fronts?

How far in advance do you want notice?

How precise do you expect the timing to be?

What if there isn't a "southerly" in the forecast for the next day or two; do you want it to say "nothing to see here" or give you the expected conditions?

Or current obs?

Do you still want it to give you multi-day forecasts?

Cloud cover?

UV index?

There are lots of questions people ask about the weather. The more data the user interface tries to pack in the harder it is to see the data clearly. So presenting data such that you can see what you want without having to ask anything is complicated.
100% agree. If you ask that 'simple' question don't expect a simple answer because it's flat-out complex.
If you don't understand that then perhaps you don't have a reasonable understanding of weather.

Reactions: cold wombat

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia

Exactly
There are hundreds of stations of data you can read literally live right up and down the coast
No one is going to make a website out of it because there are very few weather nutters like some of us here to make it feasible
Doesn't mean you can't see where the southerly is and when it will hit you
Just means you need to push a few more clicks on the mouse

Reactions: POW Hungry
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
I'm onto it now.
Need help from Mrs ( that's the hard part ) as she knows XL better than me.

nfip

Cold 'n Rusty
Ski Pass
Jul 24, 2006
Yuin Country
There was a point?
I thought it was just retirement boredom wrapped in a silly question

I was after a distraction from the Test I'm listening to on Grandstand.

Everyone is demonstrating that the information is out there. How hard can it be to scrape it, do a calculation and produce some simple information based on geolocation?

I actually do agree with this tho Legs.
It would come with a massive disclaimer for the fizzer ( variables) that Pow mentioned ^^

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
I'll let you in on a little secret: Nobody knows what a southerly is. Everyone just pretends they do so they don't look stupid. Keep it as our little secret OK.
I see. Here's a little secret for you. Just because you don't know something doesn't mean the rest of the world shares your ignorance.
Isn't that what all the links given to you do?
Nooo. The links require interpretation. They say where it is, not when it will reach somewhere. My app/site would give a simple time (obviously with a bit of leeway) when the change could be expected at a particular spot.

cin

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
May 31, 2008
Chernobyl, Russia
I see. Here's a little secret for you. Just because you don't know something doesn't mean the rest of the world shares your ignorance.

Nooo. The links require interpretation. They say where it is, not when it will reach somewhere. My app/site would give a simple time (obviously with a bit of leeway) when the change could be expected at a particular spot.

So when are you launching the site?

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Legs. Just start with something easy like i did a coupla years back. View the BSCH GFS . Flick through the 3 hourly maps for precip shear and temp and learn the basic equation for Hpascals/elevation. Read all the weather posts and see what eventuates. Repeat . Then move on to Euro and Canadian models etc.

Legs Akimbo

Grumblebum
Ski Pass
Mar 3, 1999
Legs. Just start with something easy like i did a coupla years back. View the BSCH GFS . Flick through the 3 hourly maps for precip shear and temp and learn the basic equation for Hpascals/elevation. Read all the weather posts and see what eventuates. Repeat . Then move on to Euro and Canadian models etc.
Uuuummmmm. It's not just for me. It is for the poor suckers who are suffering through the heat and humidity of a summer day who want to know when relief will arrive. It is a question that everyone asks. When will the southerly arrive?

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Uuuummmmm. It's not just for me. It is for the poor suckers who are suffering through the heat and humidity of a summer day who want to know when relief will arrive. It is a question that everyone asks. When will the southerly arrive?
33 bucks a year and its all here for them.

Reactions: nfip

cold wombat

Twitter Contributer
Jun 4, 2008
Perth

So what you really want to know is when you will experience "relief". Got it.

Here you go: http://www.tiffanysgirls.com.au/
That is the website you've been looking for.

Last edited:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass