1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

[IDEA] Oberon, NSW Ski Field?

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Infinity Dawn, Sep 28, 2016.

?

Which Mountain?

1. Mount Trikett

60.0%
  2. Mount Bindo

40.0%
  1. Hemsley

Hemsley One of Us

Obviously not leaving at peak hour, sometimes it can take two hours in traffic from Manly to Campbelltown

2. tropicalsnow

tropicalsnow Hard Yards

It would be more practicable to resurrect the ACT ski fields, such as Mt Franklin, which are significantly higher and receive more snow, than attempt anything in the Oberon area, especially given climate change. Mt Franklin is just under a five hour drive from the centre of Sydney.

Wardy likes this.
  3. Infinity Dawn

Infinity Dawn One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Thats what im clearly thinking, bindo is the only way possible. Im working on a 3d modle now and hopefully aple to share soon!

4. Infinity Dawn

I was also working on one in the corin forest but i figured there is no roads so would be to hard.

5. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Used to do Pyrmont to Jindy in 4.5 hrs regularly. Just leave Sydney after 7.30pm. Would imagine its even faster now with the new bit around Canberra.

6. Dace

Dace Hard Yards

It take 5 hours and 9 minutes to get from Wollongong to Perisher carpark. Including 2 shortish stops :)

7. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Although some people here say they can
    Maybe it's possible. but you are still only at Jindy, not the snow, add another half hour to your trip. Then of course you are there at mid-night, so you will have to wait another 7 hours to still get onto the snow. That's 11.5 hours for you.

People tend to forget, Bindo or Mt.Tricket wont be big resorts, but would suit families, newbies, and those who just want a quick day trip. A family could leave Sydney at 7am in the morning. Be on the snow at 9.30am. Have a nice lunch. More snow fun. And travel back home in time for dinner. They will save big $$$ on big resort tickets, accommodation, meals, travel times, packing extra clothing, sleeping gear, toiletries, etc Day tickets could be as low as $30 a day ticket or $15 a session. Families could combine a snow and cave experience with Jenolan caves down the road, or go visit Kanangra Walls for some spectacular views.

8. Snow Blowey

Snow Blowey Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

But that crowd needs to hire everything - so add another 2 hours to the trip and prep time.

9. rollyz

rollyz One of Us

Not these days, they grab everything from Aldi ;)

Ted Harper likes this.
  10. ironcovecreek

ironcovecreek Hard Yards

I was up on Mount Bindo yesterday for the sunset. I took these snaps with my poor quality phone camera but they turned out OK. I added them to wikipedia too. The temperature was a beautiful 20 degrees with a cool breeze, a welcome relief from heat down in Sydney. :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    All photos sourced from wikipedia Author: Alastairjsim. December, 2016.

11. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I take it the fire lookout tower is no longer manned? Nowadays I think most jurisdictions use IR mapping and lightning strike tracking with aerial followup if needed. The US Forest Service has converted a fair few of its towers into accommodations for rent. Definitely rooms with a view. BC had no vision, just bulldozed or burned many of its towers.

12. ironcovecreek

ironcovecreek Hard Yards

It looks rather unused and not in the best state of repair but I think it is still functional. The stairs have a steel panel blocking anyone trying to get up and there is also a padlocked manhole at the top preventing access to the tower platform itself. I was hoping that it might be possible to get up there because the view would be magnificent but unfortunately it's all locked up.

The radio antenna thing next to the tower is also surrounded by a barbed wire fence. Does anyone know what this antenna is used for?

13. sly_karma

sly_karma Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

In the past it would have been a repeater for the fire/emergency services VHF radio network.

14. ironcovecreek

ironcovecreek Hard Yards

I was up in Hampton State Forest last week. I took a few photos of the Thill Ridge Campground at the corner of the Tea Tree Ridge Road and Bindo Boundary Road as well as some photos of Mount Bindo itself. Look closely and you can see the fire tower on the summit. The photos were taken at approx. 1240m ASL.

The campground, looking back towards the Blue Mountains

More of the campground, Mt Bindo in the background.

Mt Bindo at dusk. You can see the fire tower on the summit.

Infinity Dawn likes this.
  15. Infinity Dawn

Glad this popped back up! Would be nice to have

16. ironcovecreek

ironcovecreek Hard Yards

It's a really nice part of the world up there. It's so quiet and there is always a fresh, cool breeze, even in the warmer months. It always feels like I have the place to myself when I'm up there. It would be great if the Bureau of Meteorology put an automatic weather station (AWS) on summit of Mt Bindo so we could get some regular accurate temperatures up there. Similar to what the BOM has on Mt Ginini.

17. Kash

Kash Addicted

Love this thread. I think there's merit in it, but not as a ski resort the likes of Corin. If Corin is successful, maybe. but best to see how that plays out.

I think there would be more merit in marketing something as a hybrid dry slope / winter slope. ie when theres actually snow (for 1 or 2 days per year), bonus, but the rest of the time its set up like a dry slope, which are huge all over the Europe and the US.

Ted Harper likes this.
  18. Kopite

Kopite One of Us

You may as well do the dry slope in to Sydney to catch after work people and evening customers in that case.

19. J_-W_-X

J_-W_-X Hard Yards

20. Infinity Dawn

Anything is possible with money :p

21. Ben

Ben One of Us

After reading this and have a keen interest in the industry along with having had a lot to do with Corin it is very viable. With PnL projections, visitation and a business plan on hand it can be done.

Having helped and consulted to set up Corin to it's current situation, if any one is interested I could share some information to look at getting something like this off the ground. I for one am keen and have already got information in Snow factory and a deal in place for snowmaking, groomers, hire equipment etc... Message me if you're keen

rollyz likes this.
  22. simmo88

simmo88 First Runs

I thought I'd dig up some photos that I took last year during a bumper snowfall in the Oberon district west of the Blue Mountains in New South Wales. Snow fell over three consecutive days and nights, the snow started falling heavily late Friday night / early Saturday and continued well into Sunday.

Oberon town Saturday Friday 9th August later in the afternoon the sleet began:
    A.jpg

Photos taken at 10km east of Oberon along the Duckmaloi Road near Melaleuca Mountain Chalets - (altitude approx. 1150m ASL):

Friday 9th August 2019 windy snow squalls began:
    B.jpg C.jpg

Same spot the very next morning Saturday 10th August 2019:
    D.jpg E.jpg F.jpg G.jpg

Sunday 11th August 2019:

Oberon town Sunday 12th August 2019:
    O.jpg P.jpg

Attached Files:

• L.jpg
      L.jpg
      File size:
      1.7 MB
      Views:
    • O.jpg
      O.jpg
      File size:
      1.6 MB
      Views:
    • P.jpg
      P.jpg
      File size:
      1.4 MB
      Views:
    • N.jpg
      N.jpg
      File size:
      1,009.8 KB
      Views:
    • R.jpg
      R.jpg
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  23. simmo88

simmo88 First Runs

Monday 12th August
    1.jpg 2.jpg 4.jpg 6.jpg

Fozzie Bear, AWJ and cold wombat like this.
  24. simmo88

simmo88 First Runs

Looking north west towards Mount Bindo:
    11.jpg 33.jpg 44.jpg