IKON Pass - sounds good

Discussion in 'United States' started by absentskier, Jan 26, 2018.

1. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Sorry if this has already been posted.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en

The new IKON pass has been announced. Details are scant but the line up of resorts is impressive. My guess is that it will be a season pass at the Alterra resorts and a continuation of a limited days style pass for the other Mountain Collective resorts.

Waiting intently on the details as a Steamboat skier.

chicski likes this.
  2. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

Coming winter 2018/19.
    Mountains: Alta, Aspen Snowmass, Big Bear, Big Sky, Blue, Copper, Deer Valley, Eldora, Jackson Hole, June, Killington, Loon, Mammoth, Snowbird, Snowshoe, Steamboat, Squaw Valley Alpine Meadows, Stratton, Sugarloaf, Sunday River, Tremblant and Winter Park.

Price and details to be announced soon.

3. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

#therealepicpass

4. fmdc9

fmdc9 Hard Yards

Is it really all that different from the mnt collective? Just swaps a few resorts here and there

5. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Nice if your a US skier.
    Bad if your a Canadian Skier. Interesting lack of any west coast Canadian resorts.
    Are they missing a big chunk of market there?

6. benchives

benchives Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

It does imo

Even has mid west big sky resort which is epic

Needs a kootenay or Canadian Rockies resort

7. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable
    Ski Pass - Gold

Would make for a decent 2 month van life ski trip.

8. Donzah

Donzah Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

That's assuming it's a season pass with no lock out days.
    Could be a odd collection and a mosh mash of arrangements.

9. Chowder11

Chowder11 Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Needs a few IMO.

Strange as there is no Western Canadian and no PNW states resorts either.....
    Thats a big chuck of Nth American ski right there.

10. Seth

Seth Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah it is but it has a truckload of quality skiing in there without it.

Ozgirl likes this.
  11. benchives

Ski Pass - Gold

This

Jackson
    Aspen
    Mammoth
    Big sky

These are serious mountains - I’d be stoked just doing these guys for a season

Ozgirl likes this.
  12. Seth

Seth Old n' Crusty
    Ski Pass - Gold

Not keen on alta, snowbird or Squaw?

13. benchives

Ski Pass - Gold

Haven’t been to these guys but definitely part of the reason it’s a decent alternative to epic

14. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Details out... .not so fantastical now.

15. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

You serious?

****ing amazing for someone like me. Mind blown.

CarveMan and Donzah like this.
  16. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

I can get an Ikon Pass for $200 less than last year’s Steamboat Pass alone.

17. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

Alterra Mountain Co. has thrown down an $899 season pass that offers unlimited skiing at 12 resorts and a lower-cost version to replace the beloved Rocky Mountain SuperPass, promising a season-pass war that will challenge Vail Resorts’ previously unrivaled Epic Pass and transform the ski resort industry.

The Ikon Pass — on sale March 6 at ikonpass.com — will offer unlimited access to Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Steamboat and Eldora and eight ski areas in California, Vermont, West Virginia and Canada, plus seven days of skiing each at six destination resorts: Utah’s Deer Valley, Wyoming’s Jackson Hole, Montana’s Big Sky, Canada’s Revelstoke, and Vermont’s Killington and Sugarbush. It also comes with a total of seven days at the four Aspen Snowmass resorts, AltaSnowbird in Utah, SkiBig3 in Canada (Banff Sunshine, Lake Louise and Mt. Norquay), and the trio of Sunday River, Sugarloaf and Loon Mountain in New England.

We’ll do the math for you: 26 destinations in nine states and four Canadian provinces, totaling almost 64,000 acres.

As a rival for the Epic Local Pass, the $599 Ikon Base Pass provides unlimited access to eight ski areas, including Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Eldora and areas in California, West Virginia and Canada. It comes with five days at each — with holiday restrictions — of these resorts: Steamboat, California’s Mammoth, Deer Valley, Jackson Hole, Big Sky, Vermont’s Stratton and Killington, Revelstoke and Sugarbush, plus five total days at AspenSnowmass, AltaSnowbird, SkiBig3 and the New England mountains. The base pass has blackout dates between Christmas and New Year’s Eve and the holiday weekends in January and February.

Kids 12 and under pay $199 for the Ikon Pass and $149 for the Ikon Base Pass with the purchase of an adult’s pass.

Zeroz, Born2ski and chicski like this.
  18. chicski

chicski One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Definitely an option once I stop buying Epic passes (after this year)

19. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

As always, there are winners and losers. For example, Winter Park season pass holders lose big time (if I’m reading it correctly). Used to be $500 for adult season pass and a kid for free. So not good for them.

Likewise Copper can expect bigger crowds from now on.

20. Sbooker

Sbooker Hard Yards

You're missing something.

21. Sbooker

Sbooker Hard Yards

For another $100 they get access to a heap of other great mountains. Surely WP skiers would be over the moon?

22. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

#therealepicpass

I'm reading some moaning from Utah locals about it, but as a tourist it's absolutely perfect. I could line up a number of road trips on this pass and have some sensational skiing.

23. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Was just reading comments online from locals

24. Harper11

Harper11 Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

Looks pretty good

For about the same price as a 7/10 pass at deer valley you get so much much more

Getting to the point where barely anyone won’t have one of these passes

25. skivet

skivet Hard Yards

Good morning all! Looking at the Australian epic pass ($819 now but rises after feb 26th) Does anyone know what the cost is after feb 26th and when is the latest time you can buy this pass in Australia. Am toying with the idea of basing myself and family in Dillon for a few weeks and this pass would be ideal. Have looked at ski pass prices in Colorado and the figures stack up well with this pass. Only problem is nothing is set in concrete yet and don’t want to buy the passes now.

26. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

It's a tourist pass not a locals one.

27. Donzah

Ski Pass - Gold

Yeah.. .would work for a paedde type trip

CarveMan likes this.
  28. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

It's more than that. it has to work as a locals pass too or it won't succeed ultimately. It's just that depending on where your 'local' is, you'll either be a winner or a loser.

29. Zeroz

Zeroz One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Why? How many locals want a pass for 26 destinations? Given the competition in multi-resort passes, using Ikon to target the more price/package sensitive tourist trade makes way more sense.

A few locals may be pissed off about a $200 difference v seasons pass, but.... acceptable collateral damage.
    If the locals are complaining about more tourons, busy days, then that's because they're not in the ski resort business.

Looks perfect for unplanned road tripping. It''s got a wide geo range to cover unpredictable snow levels. It's got good resorts. I'd buy it just to avoid the hassle of buying tickets, assuming the activation process at each area is easy.

fmdc9 likes this.
  30. Brimmo

Brimmo Hard Yards

Can you direct me to where you are reading about Utah locals moaning about it ? (not disbelieving you - simply interested in reading the complaints) I think the new ikon pass is going to be fantastic, I like the fact they are not simply copying the Epic pass at different resorts but actually making a very attractive alternative.

31. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

The folks who are more unhappy with the Ikon Pass pricing are those who were taking advantage of the MAX Pass in the northeast (NY, VT, NH, ME, MA) with perhaps one trip to a MAX Pass location in the Rockies.

An open question is what resorts will offer a simple season pass for locals who are only interested in skiing their local resort. Tremblant has implied such a single-resort season pass will still be offered. Not so clear for Mammoth.

Also will be interesting to see what the pricing is for the Mountain Collective. Taos is staying with the MPC, but won't be on Ikon. Aspen/Snowmass will be in both. Probably both for Alta, Snowbird, Jackson Hole. Perhaps Sugarbush and the three around Banff, which were added as Ikon Partners after the initial announcement. I know people who are considering getting both the Ikon Base and the MCP.

32. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room
    Ski Pass - Gold

FB Comments on Snowbrains/Unofficial Networks posts announcing the pass.

I guess if you were a Utah local you would love a season pass that covers Alta/Bird and Deer Valley for the whole season, but as only DV is owned by Alterra then I think it's an unrealistic expectation. In the case of the Epic Pass all their resorts are owned by the same company, so I think all the resorts in the Ikon Pass need to be commended for getting together to provide an offering. Alterra is building a good stable of resorts under their ownership but there's a bunch of great places to ski on the pass that they do not own.

33. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

Mammoth? Isn’t the Ikon Pass cheaper than this season’s Mammoth season pass?

34. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

Apparently for people who renewed the Cali4nia Pass that included Mammoth, June Mt, Bear and Summit was US$649. With Ikon the only way to get unlimited days at Mammoth for 2018-19 is to pay $899 for the full Ikon Pass. Have no idea what the premium Mammoth-only pass cost. I know that it included the perk of a 50% discount for lift tickets at other MCP locations.

I get the impression that people expect the Ikon prices to go up at some point before September.

35. Harper11

Harper11 Part of the Furniture
    Ski Pass - Gold

A lot of the resorts probably don’t really care what locals think depending on their location. A local who only spends $650 on a season long pass and never spends a cent on accommodation, gear hire, lessons and brings a packed lunch is a pretty terrible customer. An out out of towner who dumps 5 grand in 2 weeks is what you want.

Zeroz likes this.
  36. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

The thinking behind the Ikon and Ikon Base passes is starting to make sense. As I expected, access to Deer Valley is limited even for the $899 full pass to keep DV season pass holders happy. The days at Partner locations are based on the idea of taking one ski vacation for about a week. In comparison, the Epic Local includes 10 days outside holiday black out periods.

$899 Ikon Full Pass

Unlimited (12 Alterra resorts)
    Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Steamboat, Eldora; Squaw/Alpine; Mammoth, Big Bear, June; Tremblant, Blue in ONT, Stratton, Snowshoe

7 days each: Revelstoke, Big Sky, Jackson Hole, Deer Valley (Alterra); Killington, Sugarbush

7 days combined: Aspen (4), Alta/Snowbird, Banff SkiBig3 (LL, Sunshine, Norquay), Boyne NE (Loon, Sunday River, Sugarloaf)

$599 Ikon Base Pass, holiday blackout dates Dec. 26-31, 2018; Jan. 19-20, 2019; Feb. 16-17, 2019

Unlimited (9 Alterra resorts)
    Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Eldora; Big Bear, June; Tremblant, Blue in ONT, Snowshoe; plus Squaw/Alpine with blackout dates

5 days at 4 Alterra resorts, with black out dates: Mammoth, Deer Valley, Steamboat, Stratton

5 days each at Partners, with black out dates: Revelstoke, Big Sky, Jackson Hole; Killington, Sugarbush

5 days combined, with black out dates: Aspen (4), Alta/Snowbird, Banff SkiBig3 (LL, Sunshine, Norquay), Boyne NE (Loon, Sunday River, Sugarloaf)

#37 MarzNC, Feb 25, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  37. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

Apparently there was a loud outcry by Mammoth locals about the fact that the $599 Ikon Base pass only included 5 days at Mammoth. A change was made so that Mammoth and June are now the same as Squaw/Alpine, meaning unlimited with holiday blackout dates.

$599 Ikon Base Pass - as of 03Mar2018
    holiday blackout dates Dec. 26-31, 2018; Jan. 19-20, 2019; Feb. 16-17, 2019

Unlimited (10 Alterra resorts)
    Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Eldora; Big Bear; Tremblant, Blue in ONT, Snowshoe; plus Squaw/Alpine, Mammoth, June with blackout dates

5 days at 4 Alterra resorts, with black out dates: , Deer Valley, Steamboat, Stratton

5 days each at Partners, with black out dates: Revelstoke, Big Sky, Jackson Hole; Killington, Sugarbush

5 days combined, with black out dates: Aspen (4), Alta/Snowbird, Banff SkiBig3 (LL, Sunshine, Norquay), Boyne NE (Loon, Sunday River, Sugarloaf)

38. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

39. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

Yep that’s a big change adding Mammoth in to the Base Pass.

And I see that Copper has just announced that their stand alone season pass will be available for $459 (Kids free with an adult pass through April 30th, includes 3 days at Taos, Monarch, and Purgatory).

40. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

Copied from pugski.

2018-2019 Season Pass Early Season Pricing (least to most expensive)
    Keystone/A-basin: $349
    Winter Park: $429 (Kids $149 with an adult pass through April 9th).
    Copper Mountain: $459 (Kids free with an adult pass through April 30th, includes 3 days at Taos, Monarch, and Purgatory).
    Summit Value: $549 (Unlimited Keystone and Arapahoe Basin with holiday restrictions at Breckenridge)
    Ikon Base: $599
    Epic Local: $669
    Ikon: $899
    Epic: $899
    Steamboat: $899 (Ikon Pass is the only option).
    Dear Valley: $2365 (Includes 2 days at Alta, Snowbird, Brighton, and 4 days at Solitude).

Prices not yet announced
    Arapahoe Basin
    Eldora
    Loveland
    Monarch
    Alta
    Snowbird
    Aspen
    Crested Butte

41. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

And this guy sums up exactly what I was just thinking.

“One thing in all the Ikon info coming out today is how the "character of the local destination" marketing piece is playing out. Some resorts are getting multiple pass options, others maybe just one, and each place seems to have its own localized mix of add on bonuses/up-charges. As simple as the Ikon/Ikon Base idea happens to be, the matrix of options is incredibly diverse and perhaps even a little confusing with all the info being brand new this Spring.”

42. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

The Ikon website now has a webpage for "local" season passes. For most of the Alterra resorts, the blurb there notes if there is a season pass available that isn't Ikon. Presumably the links are for 2018-19 season pass prices for Alterra at least. I know Alta still has 2017-18 prices and that usually doesn't change until the Alta season ends.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/local-passes

43. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

Yep, can be very confusing. I live relatively close to Snowshoe in WV and follow the discussions on the regional ski forum for folks who live in Washington DC. There are a few unique features to Snowshoe that have been around for several years. All are continuing. For one thing, buying a season pass for the next season means that the rest of late season is included. But Ikon passes won't be mailed until the fall. So those who plan to take advantage of the feature are expecting to need to allow a bit more time to get their lift ticket over the next few weeks.

44. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

The price for the Ikon passes went up May 1 as expected. The surprise announcement came today. Alterra is buying Solitude, currently owned by the former owners of Deer Valley who sold DV to Alterra in 2017. Hard to know if Solitude access for the Ikon Base will be unlimited with holiday blackout dates, but that's what would make residents of SLC more likely to seriously consider Ikon over Brighton, Alta, or Snowbird season passes.

For travelers to SLC that means Ikon should be good for a few days at Alta, Snowbird, Deer Valley, and Solitude for 2018-19. The MCP is good for Alta, Snowbird, and Snowbasin.

$699 Ikon Base Pass - as of 20Jun2018
    holiday blackout dates Dec. 26-31, 2018; Jan. 19-20, 2019; Feb. 16-17, 2019

Unlimited (10 Alterra resorts)
    Winter Park, Copper Mountain, Eldora; Big Bear; Tremblant, Blue in ONT, Snowshoe; plus Squaw/Alpine, Mammoth, June with blackout dates

Unlimited? Solitude once sale is completed

5 days at 4 Alterra resorts, with black out dates: , Deer Valley, Steamboat, Stratton

45. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

Another one bites the dust!

oldgeezer likes this.
  46. MarzNC

MarzNC Hard Yards

It's taken a while but Thredbo has been added to the Ikon as a "partner" like the other MCP destination resorts. For Ikon Base, the Thredbo blackout dates are July 7-22, 2018. Unlimited access for the full Ikon, which is US$999. Since it was just announced, I guess that means it's possible to buy an Ikon pass now, use it at Thredbo in 2018 and then use it in North America during the 2018-19 season.

47. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

Great opportunity for Thredbo skiers. The IKON pass is epic (pardon the pun).

48. Scooter

Scooter One of Us
    Ski Pass - Gold

Hey @absentskier - were the IKON passes at their max price point now or are they due to go up at some point?

49. absentskier

Ski Pass - Gold

Ikon Pass now includes unlimited access to Solitude, Utah And 7 days at Brighton.

And another announcement tomorrow.

It’s quite clearly the best season pass product for North America now (it already was).