IKON Pass - sounds good

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
over50skifitness.blogspot.com
Not surprisingly, N. Americans seem to be holding off on buying Ikon or any season pass. The extended deadline in late May for the Ikon renewal discount was pushed to June 15. Quite a few 1-location season passes now have June 15 as the deadline for the "spring price" that is typically the lowest offered.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Chatter about the Ikon pass is ramping up. Folks paying attention to ski resorts in N. American are pretty confident there will be a ski season.

The timeframe for deferring to 2021-22 was extended to include the entire 2020-21 season, assuming someone hasn't used their Ikon at all. There are some people who buy Ikon only for a 1-week ski trip in February or March.

Ikon sent out a reminder about the choice for determining the credit someone would get in the event of resort closures due to COVID-19. They had to add examples to make it clear why Option 2 exists. It applies mainly to people who bought Ikon Base essentially as a 1-location season pass for their home mountain.

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 1.43.12 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-30 at 9.18.30 AM.jpg

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
I think there will be a N. American ski season @MarzNC, but it looks to me like North America will be divided into Canada and the USA. I'd be very surprised if Canada drops its 14 day quarantine period for international (including the USA) arrivals. I'm not anticipating being able to flit down past the 49th parallel on a whim to ski this season - but I am anticipating doing a lot of British Columbia skiing!

Reactions: Roymond and MarzNC

summit_32

Addicted
Jul 19, 2007
WashingtonDC
Ikon sent out a reminder about the choice for determining the credit someone would get in the event of resort closures due to COVID-19. They had to add examples to make it clear why Option 2 exists. It applies mainly to people who bought Ikon Base essentially as a 1-location season pass for their home mountain.
Looks like they cut & paste from the EPIC pass conditions that Vail came up with. Not saying that's a bad thing though as its very hard to come up with a consistent policy across multiple resorts due to the various state/international restrictions.

Agree that Whistler is probably off the table for this season for those of us in the US.

We have booked 14-days over the Xmas period at Vail/BC in an AirBnB. Will be locking-in the pass reservations when they go live. If we miss a few days not too concerned. It will be interesting to see how this works in practice - imagine a powder day with 50% lift capacity, great for those who are lucky enough to be there...

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
We have booked 14-days over the Xmas period at Vail/BC in an AirBnB. Will be locking-in the pass reservations when they go live. If we miss a few days not too concerned. It will be interesting to see how this works in practice - imagine a powder day with 50% lift capacity, great for those who are lucky enough to be there...

It will be interesting to see how the reservation days with Vail-owned resorts ends up working in practice. I've been pondering whether I should book accommodation first or wait to see what ski days we end up with. I'm tending towards booking cancelable accommodation and then hitting the computer the day the system goes live to see if I can make it all work.

I've also been pondering how spontaneous skiing might work - I guess if the powder days come mid-week outside of holiday periods there's some prospect of a day trip up from Vancouver, but it is really hard to know. I guess once the system goes live and we can see when days are booked out and which ones remain available we'll have a better idea about whether day trips are feasible.

summit_32

Addicted
Jul 19, 2007
WashingtonDC
It will be interesting to see how the reservation days with Vail-owned resorts ends up working in practice. I've been pondering whether I should book accommodation first or wait to see what ski days we end up with. I'm tending towards booking cancelable accommodation and then hitting the computer the day the system goes live to see if I can make it all work.

Yes, essential to have everything you possibly can with a 100% cancellation option. We have that for our AirBnB - not many placing were offering it but given the all the uncertainties its really the prudent thing to do. We are committed to going unless a COVID-19 phase two completely shuts down air travel in the US, which seems less likely now.

Reactions: MarzNC and Chalkie

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
I think there will be a N. American ski season @MarzNC, but it looks to me like North America will be divided into Canada and the USA. I'd be very surprised if Canada drops its 14 day quarantine period for international (including the USA) arrivals. I'm not anticipating being able to flit down past the 49th parallel on a whim to ski this season - but I am anticipating doing a lot of British Columbia skiing!
Completely agree. My friend who loves to ski around Banff during late season isn't planning on getting back there until 2022.

Are there any travel restrictions between provinces?

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Yes, essential to have everything you possibly can with a 100% cancellation option. We have that for our AirBnB - not many placing were offering it but given the all the uncertainties its really the prudent thing to do. We are committed to going unless a COVID-19 phase two completely shuts down air travel in the US, which seems less likely now.
For the slopeside lodging that my friends and I booked back in June because that place usually is full by July, we have to make a decision by mid-Dec whether or not to cancel. We usually stay close to the base but not slopeside. Figured it was worth paying a little more for slopeside in order to have the option for going back to our rooms for lunch. The resort is on Ikon. This will be the fifth year in a row meeting up these so we know the lay of the land pretty well.

Afterwards I can a few others are driving for skiing in Colorado at independent ski areas like Wolf Creek. For that part of the trip, we book motel rooms that have exterior doors. Easy to cancel if needed.

We bought plane tickets on Southwest, per usual. Prices are pretty low right now.

Chalkie

A Local
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2002
Vancouver, Canada
Completely agree. My friend who loves to ski around Banff during late season isn't planning on getting back there until 2022.

Are there any travel restrictions between provinces?

Not between Alberta and British Columbia. There are restrictions on the rest of Canada travelling to the Maritime provinces out east.

Reactions: MarzNC

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
With the Vail Resorts reservation system for Epic passes detailed, and Jackson Hole announcing that MCP holders won't need to make reservation, there is a lot of interest in what Ikon locations are going to do. Far more complicated than Epic since Ikon is a combination of Alterra resorts and major independent resorts. It's unlikely that even the Alterra resorts will use the same procedures to limit capacity. Unlike VR locations, the Alterra destination resorts don't have the same IT/RFID infrastructure in place. For example, Mammoth in southern CA and Snowshoe in WV operate very differently.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
The Ikon Partners that are going to require lift access reservations are going to use a system access via the Ikon website or app. Supposed to be open for business on Nov. 9. The reservation webpage has links to individual resort websites as well as Opening Dates.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/reservations

Some of the Powdr resorts are using parking reservations instead of lift access reservations to deal with capacity limits.

Alterra resorts do not intend to require any sort of reservations for Ikon holders. Except for Deer Valley, the Alterra resorts use Ikon as the unlimited season pass for locals.

Reactions: Chalkie

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Reactions: Chalkie

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Ikon for 2021-22 is on sale. Price pretty close to a year ago. Adventure Assurance to defer available but have to make a decision by mid-December. People who deferred 2020-21 will get the credit deposited on April 19. That makes it less likely they can use it at the few resorts will allow use the rest of this season for 2021-22 buyers.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
Just transferred our deferred credit to 21/22 passes....which will get deferred to 22/23 passes. At least there was no extra charge.

MarzNC

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 8, 2017
Raleigh, NC, USA
Decided to go with Ikon Base for 2021-22. I'm going to combine it with the MCP for more flexibility than is possible with Full Ikon. I tend to ski Alta a few more than 7 days and can use the MCP 50% discount for any additional days without having to plan in advance. For the other resorts I'm planning on skiing at, Ikon Base plus MCP means 7 days are covered. Also hoping to get to Grand Targhee on the way to Big Sky. GT is only on the MCP. Picked Big Sky for the bonus day.

People who used Ikon during the pandemic season got a small credit if they had the default set for all locations. Ranged from $8 to $18 depending on the price paid.

Noticed that it's possible to cancel for any reason before Aug. 31, 2021. Pretty sure that's new.

I managed to use Ikon for 18 days over the course of four trips to the Rockies (Dec, Feb, Mar, Apr), so came out around $45/day. Going to Taos for a Ski Week in March was an unexpected bonus after travel restrictions were dropped in mid-Feb. Even better that we caught a relatively late powder storm. Had enough friends for two advanced Private Ski Weeks.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass