1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

IKON Pass - sounds good

Discussion in 'United States' started by absentskier, Jan 26, 2018.

1. MarzNC

MarzNC One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Not surprisingly, N. Americans seem to be holding off on buying Ikon or any season pass. The extended deadline in late May for the Ikon renewal discount was pushed to June 15. Quite a few 1-location season passes now have June 15 as the deadline for the "spring price" that is typically the lowest offered.

2. MarzNC

Chatter about the Ikon pass is ramping up. Folks paying attention to ski resorts in N. American are pretty confident there will be a ski season.

The timeframe for deferring to 2021-22 was extended to include the entire 2020-21 season, assuming someone hasn't used their Ikon at all. There are some people who buy Ikon only for a 1-week ski trip in February or March.

Ikon sent out a reminder about the choice for determining the credit someone would get in the event of resort closures due to COVID-19. They had to add examples to make it clear why Option 2 exists. It applies mainly to people who bought Ikon Base essentially as a 1-location season pass for their home mountain.

3. Chalkie

Chalkie One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I think there will be a N. American ski season @MarzNC, but it looks to me like North America will be divided into Canada and the USA. I'd be very surprised if Canada drops its 14 day quarantine period for international (including the USA) arrivals. I'm not anticipating being able to flit down past the 49th parallel on a whim to ski this season - but I am anticipating doing a lot of British Columbia skiing!

Roymond and MarzNC like this.
  4. summit_32

summit_32 Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Looks like they cut & paste from the EPIC pass conditions that Vail came up with. Not saying that's a bad thing though as its very hard to come up with a consistent policy across multiple resorts due to the various state/international restrictions.

Agree that Whistler is probably off the table for this season for those of us in the US.

We have booked 14-days over the Xmas period at Vail/BC in an AirBnB. Will be locking-in the pass reservations when they go live. If we miss a few days not too concerned. It will be interesting to see how this works in practice - imagine a powder day with 50% lift capacity, great for those who are lucky enough to be there...

5. Chalkie

It will be interesting to see how the reservation days with Vail-owned resorts ends up working in practice. I've been pondering whether I should book accommodation first or wait to see what ski days we end up with. I'm tending towards booking cancelable accommodation and then hitting the computer the day the system goes live to see if I can make it all work.

I've also been pondering how spontaneous skiing might work - I guess if the powder days come mid-week outside of holiday periods there's some prospect of a day trip up from Vancouver, but it is really hard to know. I guess once the system goes live and we can see when days are booked out and which ones remain available we'll have a better idea about whether day trips are feasible.

6. summit_32

summit_32 Hard Yards Ski Pass: Silver

Yes, essential to have everything you possibly can with a 100% cancellation option. We have that for our AirBnB - not many placing were offering it but given the all the uncertainties its really the prudent thing to do. We are committed to going unless a COVID-19 phase two completely shuts down air travel in the US, which seems less likely now.

MarzNC and Chalkie like this.
  7. MarzNC

Completely agree. My friend who loves to ski around Banff during late season isn't planning on getting back there until 2022.

Are there any travel restrictions between provinces?

8. MarzNC

For the slopeside lodging that my friends and I booked back in June because that place usually is full by July, we have to make a decision by mid-Dec whether or not to cancel. We usually stay close to the base but not slopeside. Figured it was worth paying a little more for slopeside in order to have the option for going back to our rooms for lunch. The resort is on Ikon. This will be the fifth year in a row meeting up these so we know the lay of the land pretty well.

Afterwards I can a few others are driving for skiing in Colorado at independent ski areas like Wolf Creek. For that part of the trip, we book motel rooms that have exterior doors. Easy to cancel if needed.

We bought plane tickets on Southwest, per usual. Prices are pretty low right now.

9. Chalkie

Not between Alberta and British Columbia. There are restrictions on the rest of Canada travelling to the Maritime provinces out east.

MarzNC likes this.
  10. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

11. absentskier

absentskier Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Red is awesome. Great addition to the pass.

Chalkie likes this.
  12. MarzNC

With the Vail Resorts reservation system for Epic passes detailed, and Jackson Hole announcing that MCP holders won't need to make reservation, there is a lot of interest in what Ikon locations are going to do. Far more complicated than Epic since Ikon is a combination of Alterra resorts and major independent resorts. It's unlikely that even the Alterra resorts will use the same procedures to limit capacity. Unlike VR locations, the Alterra destination resorts don't have the same IT/RFID infrastructure in place. For example, Mammoth in southern CA and Snowshoe in WV operate very differently.

13. MarzNC

The Ikon Partners that are going to require lift access reservations are going to use a system access via the Ikon website or app. Supposed to be open for business on Nov. 9. The reservation webpage has links to individual resort websites as well as Opening Dates.

https://www.ikonpass.com/en/reservations

Some of the Powdr resorts are using parking reservations instead of lift access reservations to deal with capacity limits.

Alterra resorts do not intend to require any sort of reservations for Ikon holders. Except for Deer Valley, the Alterra resorts use Ikon as the unlimited season pass for locals.

Chalkie likes this.