1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Trip Report Impressions of Niseko for First Time Visitor

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Laska Goralska, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Laska Goralska

Laska Goralska One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

They have that with at the HK sevens. If they could put troughs running under the seats you really wouldn't have to move all day. That's living.

LMB likes this.
  2. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks!

And sorry I missed this earlier, I thought this was the case but recently on this forums I felt that people were referring to a side that was consistent. Although most snow in Australia tends to come from the one direction!

3. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Perisher is a Leeside resort.

Great examples.
    Sun valley.
    Eyre.
    Brumby

4. Ozgirl

Ozgirl A Local Ski Pass: Gold

See that absolute statement is what confuses me! Weather isn't technically an absolute.

But I kinda get it.

5. Donzah

Sand dunes

6. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds flat.

7. Laska Goralska

Yep, it's definitely jumping into the shallow end of Japan that's for sure

8. Donzah

Sahara

9. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

They’ve got those pies at other resorts in Japan apparently... ones that get less hate than Hirafu too.

10. Donzah

In fairness. Niseko was 9 years ahead of those other hills.
    * except Kamui. Pies up top

LMB likes this.
  11. Laska Goralska

Don't get me wrong, that was second breakfast most mornings. For some reason they're smaller and better there, which is sort of odd but sort of not

12. LMB

So I’m used to PB doing first dinner and second dinner (metabolism envy) - the second usually being Chicken Curry Naan from the truck on the way home from boozing. However first and second breakfast?!?! Are you some super human with a super charged metabolism?! So unfair! LOL

13. Laska Goralska

It’s starting to slow down on me. Gained a few after skiing seven hours a day for the better part of a week :cry::cry:

Kimski likes this.
  14. Rabid K9

Rabid K9 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I venture that relativity & expectation have a lot do with it.

15. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Try Nicks.com.au for Japanese whisky. There's about 150 of them on their website.

16. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Their prices gave me cancer.

Roymond likes this.
  17. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Fujimart in Prahran sometimes stocks Suntory Premium Malt beer.

18. Roymond

Roymond One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

My apologies- thought the reference was to the malt whiskies!

Tanuki likes this.
  19. Tanuki

Tanuki A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Me too initially.

20. smackies

smackies A Local

Yes, there was a pie stand at the Happo gondola this year.

Sadly Hakuba is well and truly on its way to Nisekofication. Grumble grumble. Time to move.

LMB likes this.
  21. LMB

From what I can see it’s permeating a lot further than just Niseko and Hakuba. And the Chinese push is well underway - much bigger numbers and much bigger culture clash there than a handful of Aussies.

Olgreg likes this.
  22. smackies

smackies A Local

I feel like there is more than a handful of us...

To date, the Chinese tourists ski very little and only inbounds. The very many Aussies who buy a beacon and then decide to get rad in the bc are far worse than a pie stand.

Vermillion likes this.
  23. LMB

This is changing.
    Quickly.

Fair.

It’s the Insta-Rad generation.

24. smackies

smackies A Local

Plenty of middle aged folk, too. 'spose they all have instagram though, so point holds.

#needsmorehashtags

LMB likes this.
  25. Vermillion

YOLO backpack.

smackies likes this.
  26. LMB

I will weigh in here - while there is most definitely evidence of “all the gear, and no idea” in Niseko I do think the area is very much leading the charge on skilling people up.

Many of the guides in the area equip and train their customers in the use of the equipment on progressively more interesting terrain while pointing out the terrain and snowpack dangers and things to look for on the go.

It’s a bit like finishing a kids snowboard lesson with 360 flat spins - it’s fun, they think they’re cool and you’re challenging their balance and introducing switch without them even realising it.

As for Courses - the one I did in an early Dec (before most people got there) was FULL. You couldn’t squeeze another human into the large teaching space. Later courses get filled and have to turn people away who don’t sign up early enough.

In my group: 2 Chinese, 2 Americans, 1 Brit and the rest Aussies.

Yes, it’s still an issue, and will continue to be while people are getting lost, hurt or killed because of lack of knowledge. However people are learning. We just have to keep encouraging it AND welcoming newcomers into the fold.

fennekeg and Tanuki like this.
  27. smackies

smackies A Local

I think people are learning, yes, but most are learning only a little which is part of the greater problem.

Some of the worst etiquette you see is from people who have just done an AST1 and from "guides".

Japan is not a great place to reinforce anything one learns in a recreational avy course anyway. Particularly in Hakuba where there is proper terrain of consequence. The snowpack is a bit of a magical unicorn. It's too forgiving. You become complacent.

Anyway, sorry for the thread derail OP. #goNiseko!

Vermillion likes this.
  28. Vermillion

All the gear and a tiny bit of the idea.

smackies likes this.
  29. LMB

People have to start somewhere.
    It’s a pretty rare human who was born in the backcountry to mountaineers and lived and breathed it before they could walk.

The fact that Japan has a pretty forgiving snowpack makes it a good place to begin that journey. Awareness is gained and better choices are made when it comes to big terrain and high consequences.

I think it’s a case of the more knowledge you get the more cautious you get because you well and truly understand the consequences of fkkng it up.

I’ve always been super cautious and timid and wanted to know the ins and outs of what we were doing before we did it - deadset overthinker and prone to panic attacks (not in the situation but prior due to overthinking) but I’d rather be that way than jump in boots and all and then find out I was in trouble. I am certainly more comfortable in the choices I make and voicing my opinions in a group the more learning I’ve done.

And I take the role as the most experienced in a group very seriously. Took out 3 x 20yr olds a few weeks back - first foray into Strawberry Fields for 2 of them and no understanding of snowpack and terrain and what to watch for. We did a heap of education spotting safe lines and glide cracks from the chair, deliberately heading to the side of the cracks to check them out and see how they were blind from the top and what the consequences would be if they hit it without awareness. The snowpack was very safe with a small fresh layer - however it cracked and propegated as a small slab ~ 5-6 ft around - only a cm or so deep and in a safe location with little chance of more than a bit of slough. But it was a great opportunity for education where you could extrapolate that circumstance to a steeper pitch, deeper slab and higher consequence slide path. Those boys won’t be heading into proper bc without training and a guide. They got the message. This is what we need to do. Encourage responsible participation and growth.

Kimski and Tanuki like this.
  30. Laska Goralska

Not sure if it's just me, but since this was the first time I'd skied outside NSW I was surprised to note (which may just have been my perception) that the overall level skill level of the average skier/boarder is lower there than it is Oz (at least where I tend to ski). I saw a lot more near misses, yardsales and ski patrol call outs than I do when skiing here.

Maybe it's the tourism factor vs NSW majors being frequented more by regulars perhaps? Not sure, was interesting observation either way though.

Oh and also in six days on snow I only saw one tele skiier. He was absolutely slaying it, but he was the only one I saw. Odd.

31. LMB

I spotted quite a few tele’s but probably because I was actually keeping an eye out to spot @Telemark Phat.

The skill level comment is interesting.
    I think there are more unskilled people tackling steeper terrain in Niseko than say Thredbo - but I think that is a product of wider pistes, generally more forgiving snow, and less crowds. When you’ve gotta get down Supertrail on sheet ice with a billion other people you kinda wanna be in control.

It’s also a lack of lessons.
    People think they are better than they are.

@Any was telling me that there were some groups of Chinese first timers turning up for a lesson at Go Snow in jeans and sneakers thinking the instructor would kit them out. o_O
    But at least they were taking lessons.

I had 3 boarders I organised a lesson for.
    I taught one for 3 days - day one his progression was incredible, but then he got on steeper terrain and let rip - all technique went out the window and he stopped listening to me. Both men thought they were WAY better than the girl, and my errant student actually told me he wouldn’t get anything out of the lesson because he was so far ahead of the other two. I insisted. Love love love that the instructor (a mate of mine) told the boys their form was shite and the girl she was perfect - just needed to let the board run more and smile.

I think a lot of people stop taking lessons once they THINK they know what they are doing, but really it’s just survival and dumb luck.

I was hit hard while totally standing still off to the side of the piste waiting for friends by a Chinese guy on a board. Zero control, just pointing the board and hanging on for dear life. He looked at me - so he careered over in my direction - I didn’t move because he had so much space to correct... nope... faster and faster toward me - in the end the board was in the air. I’m truly fortunate it wasn’t worse. After a quick but unconcerned “sorry sorry” he got up and repeated the same out of control descent.

The good thing about Niseko is there is usually plenty of space and time to identify the dangerous skiers and riders and get the hell out of their way. And it’s anothet reason why I like the trees and the gates - less out of control peeps out there and trees don’t come at ya!

sara777 likes this.
  32. Laska Goralska

Yikes that's pretty unpleasant, glad it wasn't worse for you.

One of the gents I was there with had a lesson and I was pretty gobsmacked at the cost. I wonder if this has anything to do with it?

Never having skied deep powder I was initially intending on having a lesson myself but decided against it once I got on the hill and realised the snowpack was much the same as at home due to the lack of snow!

LMB likes this.
  33. LMB

I’m sure the cost of lessons is a big factor.

My brother took his family (all first timers) to Club Med. Lessons included. 2 a day each. $2k for accom, food, non alcoholic drinks, lessons, ski pass... it’s a great way for beginners to get loads of lessons. I’d recommend that to newbie people asking me in future.

Yeah, I was so lucky.
    I was actually on my knees looking up hill scanning for my friends. He hit me on my side boob, across my chest, I dropped my head to protect my neck so I copped a board to the face and helmet before the back of his board which was still in contact with the ground crushed my left hand. With the force of impact I flew over the top of him and he came to rest under my thighs/knees.

This is the worst damage I sustained.

The same day a friend of a friend was hit skier to skier in Zermatt - face now looks like Tyrion Lannister’s from Game of Thrones - Heli Medivac for plastic surgery and plates to repair broken cheekbone!

You’ve gotta thank your lucky stars when you come home with all your bits unbroken.

34. Laska Goralska

Jaysus that's worse than you initially made it sound. Lucky for sure MB, that sort of collusion has all the necessary ingredients for serious injury.

If you were wearing a ring you'd have been fortunate to get it off without a saw

35. LMB

No rings. Haven’t worn them since I started snowboarding. Just unnecessary inconvenience.