Question In the Event of a Covide Lock down in Perisher - Accommodation that is pre-paid

jabsy

Hard Yards
Oct 14, 2012
North Qld
With Covide infections now escalating and Sydney and Darwin in lock down - does anyone know if refunds are available on accommodation that has been pre-paid in the event Perisher / Jindabyne go into lock down. i.e. no outside skiing/boarding. I am due to travel from Qld to NSW in three weeks time for 3 weeks skiing if possible. Thanks

try hard

Hard Yards
Feb 4, 2001
Sydney,Australia
Pretty sure it's dependant on the cancellation policies of the individual accommodation providers. It's going to mean a lot of people considerably out of pocket. A lot of places you get a refund if you cancel up to 1 month or 2 weeks in advance. With Covid changing things by the day, this cancellation policy is pretty useless.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Agree. Read cancellation policy carefully.

If you go on a beach holiday and the beach is closed for the duration of your stay, you are unlikely to get your money back. Some Jindy accommodation providers would feel the same way about ski fields not being open. Many will be more generous.
If Jindy itself is locked down then probably more chance of refunds.

try hard

Hard Yards
Feb 4, 2001
Sydney,Australia
I feel that Covid is a totally different situation to cancelling your accommodation because the snow doesn't fall or you simply change your mind. You have to book so far in advance to secure a bed during peak times, and I'm pretty sure travel insurance wouldn't cover it. If the Government then mandate that you can't travel, I feel that this is totally out of your control. I'm booked through Stayz. Stayz of course are all totally different owners who make their own rules. There will be a lot of people who will be left with a very sour taste.

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
If the Government then mandate that you can't travel, I feel that this is totally out of your control. I'm booked through Stayz. Stayz of course are all totally different owners who make their own rules. There will be a lot of people who will be left with a very sour taste.
If there is an actual government rule preventing you from travelling to your accommodation, you are probably in a stronger position to get a refund.
If you are allowed to travel to your accomm but activities you were planning to do are not available then i would expect fewer refunds to be offered.
If the government make recommendations not to travel, rather than rules, then AIUI there is no compulsion to provide refunds.

FWIW our ski club is refunding in all these situations because we exist for the good of our members. I can understand that private operators may make different choices

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Wesley Vale, Tasmania
I feel that Covid is a totally different situation to cancelling your accommodation because the snow doesn't fall or you simply change your mind. You have to book so far in advance to secure a bed during peak times, and I'm pretty sure travel insurance wouldn't cover it. If the Government then mandate that you can't travel, I feel that this is totally out of your control. I'm booked through Stayz. Stayz of course are all totally different owners who make their own rules. There will be a lot of people who will be left with a very sour taste.
That's why it pays to read cancellation policies before you commit your money to a prepaid accommodation booking. There is no point bitching about "but they did not give me my money back" if you did not do due diligence from the outset.

My current bookings (about $4000 worth) including travel with vehicle too and from Tassie are all fully refundable bar one. I am well aware of this and am willing to risk that one non refundable booking in order to have the trip I want. If Vic goes back into lockdown (fingers and toes crossed it won't) I accept that I will loose some money.

try hard

Hard Yards
Feb 4, 2001
Sydney,Australia
That's why it pays to read cancellation policies before you commit your money to a prepaid accommodation booking. There is no point bitching about "but they did not give me my money back" if you did not do due diligence from the outset.

My current bookings (about $4000 worth) including travel with vehicle too and from Tassie are all fully refundable bar one. I am well aware of this and am willing to risk that one non refundable booking in order to have the trip I want. If Vic goes back into lockdown (fingers and toes crossed it won't) I accept that I will loose some money.
I don't feel I was bitching, just stating a fact. Very few private accommodation providers were offering refunds or credits. You had to cancel 30 days prior for a refund. Yep, fully aware that I could do my dough. Am I happy about that, not particularly, but accommodation was scarce. Given the fact that as a loss of income, they could possibly get government assistance, or at least a tax write off. They could also relet the apartment to people from outside of Sydney and end up earning twice for the same period for the accommodation.

Reactions: cold wombat

Val Desire

One of Us
Jul 12, 2018
Lindfield NSW
I double checked my t&c's with owner of Crackenback property booked tnrough Stayz early last week when things began to go pair shaped, and then gambled and missed the 'full refund' window last Thurs, as hoped I could travel. Cancelled straight away yesterday pm and offered a re-book same season, when strictly only entitled to 50% refund. Not sure I'll get down with family later this season, so asked about next season and am now all sorted for 2022. Happy customer!:)

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
I double checked my t&c's with owner of Crackenback property booked tnrough Stayz early last week when things began to go pair shaped, and then gambled and missed the 'full refund' window last Thurs, as hoped I could travel. Cancelled straight away yesterday pm and offered a re-book same season, when strictly only entitled to 50% refund. Not sure I'll get down with family later this season, so asked about next season and am now all sorted for 2022. Happy customer!:)

"Full Refund Window" whats that?? I can tell you I FULLY refunded $9500 odd dollars today, 2 days into my clients stay. (They were a STAYZ booking) I cant control COVID and neither can they, I told them to do whatever they were most comfortable doing. For them that was travel back to SYD.

Just an FYI if I hadn't fully refunded, but only "partially refunded, they would have been out of pocket some $1200 in STAYZ fees, no prorata of those on partial refunds!!

Val Desire

One of Us
Jul 12, 2018
Lindfield NSW
"Full Refund Window" whats that?? I can tell you I FULLY refunded $9500 odd dollars today, 2 days into my clients stay. (They were a STAYZ booking) I cant control COVID and neither can they, I told them to do whatever they were most comfortable doing. For them that was travel back to SYD.

Just an FYI if I hadn't fully refunded, but only "partially refunded, they would have been out of pocket some $1200 in STAYZ fees, no prorata of those on partial refunds!!
T&c's at time of booking (full payment req last September!) was full refund with cancellation before 14 days prior to arrival, 50% back for cancellation 14 days to time of arrival, then refund sevice charge only if cancel after arrival date. Again - sad to not be going to Perisher 2nd weekend of hols, but glad I'm not really out of pocket on accommation, as booking and payment transferred to next season. Son's Epic pass another matter - I didn't understand the whole nomination thing, and don't think he will have time later in season, as HSC.

Great job Nidecker with full refund offered by you. Maybe my host would have done same if pushed, not sure..

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
I am interested in what the experience has been with Sydney folk having to cancel accommodation during the current lockdown.

Are places offering refunds or credits?

Bananax

Hard Yards
Sep 9, 2020
Shout out to Avonside alpine estate. Very lucky to received 10 nights credits from our host, even though Airbnb has no refund/credit option. Then made a decision to use 2 nights in August. Pretty sure we are not going to make it LOL. Maybe try sell it to someone who can use it. Not sure it will be a good idea to ask credit again. I would rather have the reservation system like last year or even harder booking process then this :oops:. Fingers crossed.

Stevie84

Early Days
Aug 17, 2020
Presumably the only way you'd be legally entitled to a refund is if the accommodation provider couldn't actually provide you with the accommodation - i.e. there's a health order saying that their accommodation isn't allowed to operate.

In those circumstances they're not providing the service you paid for, so you'd be entitled to a refund.

In other circumstances (e.g. you can't visit Jindy due to a lockdown in Sydney), they're still providing the service but it's your issue that you can't use the service.

jabsy

Hard Yards
Oct 14, 2012
North Qld
Presumably the only way you'd be legally entitled to a refund is if the accommodation provider couldn't actually provide you with the accommodation - i.e. there's a health order saying that their accommodation isn't allowed to operate.

In those circumstances they're not providing the service you paid for, so you'd be entitled to a refund.

In other circumstances (e.g. you can't visit Jindy due to a lockdown in Sydney), they're still providing the service but it's your issue that you can't use the service.
Agree with your first comment - however in the event of Sydney locked down (and remaining so for several weeks) and unable to travel to Jindy - the accommodation service is still not availed of. Given the multitude of bookings and thousands of dollars made in good faith and then unable to travel due to Government restrictions is theft if no refund or partial refund completed. Very sadly it is looking like NSW will have an extended lock down and Covide could very well hit the snow fields this year.

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
With Covide infections now escalating and Sydney and Darwin in lock down - does anyone know if refunds are available on accommodation that has been pre-paid in the event Perisher / Jindabyne go into lock down. i.e. no outside skiing/boarding. I am due to travel from Qld to NSW in three weeks time for 3 weeks skiing if possible. Thanks

All I can say is "good luck". Bookings with resorts and real estate agents are generally being refunded. Bookings with private booking agents, Airbnb and on line are very much owner dependent refunds.

Many many stories of refunds made and refunds refused.

Reactions: Telezacski

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
All I can say is "good luck". Bookings with resorts and real estate agents are generally being refunded. Bookings with private booking agents, Airbnb and on line are very much owner dependent refunds.

Many many stories of refunds made and refunds refused.

So we rent our place though Air and Stayz (VRBO) I posted else where, but I am refunding 100% if the customer is impacted by govt travel restrictions. I'm close to $20,000 right now for a 2 bedder in Jindy that was fully booked (at last years rates) for the season.

Just hope that some of the customers appreciate the gesture and come back next year.

The problem for the owners is.
1) its all last minute (no opportunity to re advertise to CNB or country NSW folk)
2) its all last minute, generally involves calling the provider to ensure 100% refund is applied and they provider doesn't try and steal the commission.

Last year was actually better for us as people were allowed to travel, and once they managed to secure tickets they were locked in.

I will post back about my experience with my own booking in Buller for interschools when/if I need to cancel. :)

dawooduck

relaxed and comfortable
Ski Pass
Oct 26, 2002
Mountains
So we rent our place though Air and Stayz (VRBO) I posted else where, but I am refunding 100% if the customer is impacted by govt travel restrictions. I'm close to $20,000 right now for a 2 bedder in Jindy that was fully booked (at last years rates) for the season.

Just hope that some of the customers appreciate the gesture and come back next year.

1) its all last minute (no opportunity to re advertise to CNB or country NSW folk)
2) its all last minute, generally involves calling the provider to ensure 100% refund is applied and they provider doesn't try and steal the commission.

Last year was actually better for us as people were allowed to travel, and once they managed to secure tickets they were locked in.

I will post back about my experience with my own booking in Buller for interschools when/if I need to cancel. :)

Why it's so hard to give definite answer to "will I get a refund".

As you say last year there was a plan and it worked, this year is all systems go and now almost total crash with nil contingency plan in place.

Much bigger losses this year all round.

Tough for all involved across the whole spectrum of provider and buyer.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018

I am about to find out if I will get a refund for next week. Based on how things have been for me this year I am preparing myself to be disappointed. :)

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Let me start by saying we are giving 100% refunds and happily, yes we are kind of lucky as I am using the place this week and probably next now.

But I am a bit sick of people assuming providers get some form of government incentive. Most properties are privately owned by investors so whilst the booking company may get government incentives owners don’t.

I also don’t think owners could double book accommodation, or at least not without providing some refund.

The smart providers (I like to think we fall into this category) are refunding, creating re peat business and looking after our future. I know of a few that aren’t but hopefully he isn’t around for long.

Telezacski

A Local
Ski Pass
Mar 19, 2010
Why it's so hard to give definite answer to "will I get a refund".

As you say last year there was a plan and it worked, this year is all systems go and now almost total crash with nil contingency plan in place.

Much bigger losses this year all round.

Tough for all involved across the whole spectrum of provider and buyer.

Further to what I was saying on the lift, as people are know effectively shifting accommodation costs to next year many will have “ski” money unspent. The resort needs to work a way to get that from people and into your pockets.

The more costs are sunk pre trip the more disposable income people have to spend on lessons etc, if these are also pre spent costs perfect.

Reactions: Val Desire

Nidecker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
I am about to find out if I will get a refund for next week. Based on how things have been for me this year I am preparing myself to be disappointed. :)

Don't put up with any bullshit from an owner all the platforms have an option for a full refund even after a booking has started. To be honest, I'm not that keen on forcing unhappy guests to stay in my place by offering credits. They are bad enough when the snow is not so great :)

Reactions: Jonathan_P

taylastidwell

First Runs
Jul 13, 2021
We are meant to be staying in jindy in 3 weeks time, we are coming from Vic and the booking is $14700. The host hasn't even being open to discussion about moving booking or any amount of refund if we can't get there due to boarder closures. We are fuming. Booking is through Stayz, if anyone has any useful advice please let me know

silva

One of Us
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
In general I think most accommodation providers have been pretty flexible with refunds/credits. I really feel for anyone without a positive outcome.
Please do not believe everything you read online though. I know of at least one accommodation provider in Jindabyne who has basically been blackmailed/bullied online. Named and Shamed for not providing a full refund and had many negative and scathing reviews put on several websites. When you actually look into the details the reason they did not give a full refund was that the visitors did not reside in a Covid restricted area. They had just decided they no longer wished to travel and were using Covid restrictions to extort a refund.

Reactions: currawong

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
We are meant to be staying in jindy in 3 weeks time, we are coming from Vic and the booking is $14700. The host hasn't even being open to discussion about moving booking or any amount of refund if we can't get there due to boarder closures. We are fuming
Wow.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

Stevie84

Early Days
Aug 17, 2020
Contacted my hotel I was due to stay at, but as expected their policy is no refunds unless they can sell the room to someone else.

Basically as expected - it's not their fault I can't come, and they're not receiving compensation from the NSW gov.

The cost is only $200, which is why I was willing to take the chance of booking accompanying with a no refund policy in the first place.

taylastidwell

First Runs
Jul 13, 2021
In general I think most accommodation providers have been pretty flexible with refunds/credits. I really feel for anyone without a positive outcome.
Please do not believe everything you read online though. I know of at least one accommodation provider in Jindabyne who has basically been blackmailed/bullied online. Named and Shamed for not providing a full refund and had many negative and scathing reviews put on several websites. When you actually look into the details the reason they did not give a full refund was that the visitors did not reside in a Covid restricted area. They had just decided they no longer wished to travel and were using Covid restrictions to extort a refund.
We are not in a 'COVID restricted area' but we cannot cross the boarder at the moment and we are not hopeful that it will change. This is my personal experience not what I am reading online. We would accept a credit for next year, but so far have just being referred to the hosts cancellation policy which is no refund within a month and no further discussion. We are not cancelling. It won't be a choice we make. To me, that is not good enough.

Skichic2

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 22, 2017
We are not in a 'COVID restricted area' but we cannot cross the boarder at the moment and we are not hopeful that it will change. This is my personal experience not what I am reading online. We would accept a credit for next year, but so far have just being referred to the hosts cancellation policy which is no refund within a month and no further discussion. We are not cancelling. It won't be a choice we make. To me, that is not good enough.
It sucks, but I'm guessing the cancellation policy was there when you booked. I got caught out at Xmas when borders shut and I had thought I was safe booking with a full refund 4 days out cancellation policy. Given the increasing restrictions, the chances of the owner recouping the booking is probably looking grim. Good on the owners who are taking a hit and allowing refunds outside their policies, but you've entered into a contract and I can understand them standing by that.

I just won't book anything that's not fully refundable anymore, or I'll take my chances booking a couple of days out.

Reactions: currawong and jabsy

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
In that case on sell your accommodation or let it sit empty out of spite.

silva

One of Us
Feb 1, 2006
NSW
Sorry - I would include you as COVID restricted and was not referring to your particular circumstances. If you would have to quarantine for 2 weeks once you got home (if you could get home) I would say that your ability to travel is definitely Covid restricted. The case I was referring to there was no reason for the people not to come - they just decided not to and tried to use Covid as a excuse.

hatto

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2006

Hope good karma comes your way:cheers::thumbs:

Reactions: Nidecker

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Lockdown to 30th July....

Epic pass refunds and accomodation is gunna hurt.

sn0wbunny29

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 11, 2015
Sydney
I've just been offered either a refund minus 1 nights accommodation or a credit for the full amount to be used by 15 July 2022 by Kosciusko Tourist Park as we won't be there next week. Very happy to take the credit and visit in the Spring!

Reactions: sixty_eight

GlenH

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 13, 2007
Based on today's lockdown extension until at least 30 July how far ahead (of that) are people cancelling?

blutek

One of Us
Jun 2, 2003
central coast
Have late August lodge booking for Smigs. Waiting to see if there's an extension to Syd lockdown. Don't feel confident about a refund as their bookings are managed by Bookings.com with a no-cancellation condition. The lodge management seems chaotic when we rang early season.
The irony is we can have "free" accommodation in our Jindy lodge.

Pete Holden

Addicted
Aug 18, 2019
Have late August lodge booking for Smigs. Waiting to see if there's an extension to Syd lockdown. Don't feel confident about a refund as their bookings are managed by Bookings.com with a no-cancellation condition. The lodge management seems chaotic when we rang early season.
The irony is we can have "free" accommodation in our Jindy lodge.

I had a booking through Booking.com and asked if I can get a refund. The full refund period has lapsed 2 weeks already.

Booking.com asked me to contact the accommodation provider, which I did. The accommodation provider said to go ahead and submit the refund/cancellation to Booking.com and that they will give me a full refund. No dramas.

This is all just by emails/website:

1. One customer query on Booking.com website regarding refund due to lockdown (they have a webform specifically stating lockdown as one of the options for cancelling a booking). They replied back by email.

2. Then shot off an email to the accommodation provider asking if I can get full refund and they replied back that they will give full refund.

3. Then submitted the cancellation form on Booking.com. Received an email confirmation of the cancellation and that I will get full refund in 7-12 days.

No phone calls, no hassle.

I guess my only advise is to use nice words, don't be threatening, say "Please", "May I Request", "Kindly Process", "Hoping for Your Consideration", "Thank You". Simple kindness goes a long way.

Last edited:

coolair

One of Us
Ski Pass
Aug 10, 2007
NSW
I am interested in what the experience has been with Sydney folk having to cancel accommodation during the current lockdown.

Are places offering refunds or credits?
My daughter had 3 nights mid week bookfor the Station this week, stuck in Sydney, 100% refund, lift tix too.

joshuaali

First Runs
Jul 19, 2021
The ACCC provides guidance for the travel industry for COVID-19 related cancellations.

For those that booked through a third-party agent or intermediary, the business should "take active steps ... to recover funds from suppliers" and then "remit those funds to the consumer as soon as possible".

Businesses that charge a cancellation fee or retain an amount to cover expenses should, "on request, provide an itemised breakdown justifying the amount charged or retained."

It is expected that:
  • "only a single fee or deduction will be applied to a booking; that is, fees and deductions will not be made on an individual passenger or individual service basis, and
  • in most circumstances, any amount charged or retained for this purpose will be a nominal sum relating to reasonable administrative expenses incurred."

Attachments

• ACCC and ACL Regulators best practice guidance for the Travel Industry for COVID-19 related tr...pdf
    207.8 KB · Views: 20

jabsy

Hard Yards
Oct 14, 2012
North Qld

With Sydney lock down extended to 30th July (and maybe longer) together with lock down in Melbourne will be a lot of empty accommodation in Jindy, Perisher and Thredbo this year may cause concern for some great refund stories and some absolute horror examples of no refunds. If consumers are unable to travel due directly to lock down of their current place of residence - then alternative options should be forthcoming e.g. refund / credit for later or next year / charge a small fee for cancellation and then refund remaining balance - especially given that government is offering small business payments/grants etc.
The entire pre-payment and booking of accommodation may need a complete restructure. Never again will people book and pay with a 'no refund cancellation policy' - it needs balance to be fair for both parties i.e. consumer and property/booking owner. Might be some litigation with barristers for larger funds paid and not refunded in genuine Covide lock down circumstances to actually test the T & C of such no cancellation policies which may have loop holes.

Reactions: currawong

Pete Holden

Addicted
Aug 18, 2019
The entire pre-payment and booking of accommodation may need a complete restructure. Never again will people book and pay with a 'no refund cancellation policy'
Nah. When things go back to normal, people will suck up the no refund policy.

You don't understand the ski hobby in the Australian context.

First of all, SDS is an overwhelming urge for many skiers. Skiing is not like other hobbies like golfing or fishing or surfing where there are many areas all over the country that can serve hobbyists year round. Maybe the Penrith indoor ski will ease some of our SDS, but it won't compare to a real mountain.

The sport of skiing needs snow and it's concentrated in one area in the Australian Alps and you have a limited window in the year to engage in that hobby.

And historically the Alpine areas have limited supply of accommodation that hasn't been solved for decades. Not like other parts of the world like Queenstown where there is a steady surplus of accommodation.

When things go back to normal, prices will rise again. Your wallet has to compete with other skiers with fatter wallets and those people can afford to take the hit from a no refund policy if it means satisfying their SDS.

VernonS

First Runs
Jul 22, 2021

Sorry new to the site can you help please. How do I comment on a thread for epic pass refunde. I'm disgusted with the misleading Puuchase with confidence because we are giving you free insurance BS

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Learn how membership works on these forums
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass