Trip Report Indian Himalaya trekking firms. Tapovan/Gaumukh?

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Not your average unconventional eccentric.
Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
Melbourne, Lockdown-i-stan .
soundcloud.com
The scenery on the way to the trail head at Gangotri became larger and more impressive.
_SAM2983.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
The day came to start the High altitude trek. The porters, the mules, the cooks, everyone .. they were all ready. I wasn't feeling too flash but I hoped I would come back to life by walking .Our permits and passports had to be checked at the Nat. Park entrance. There is limit on how many people are permitted to trek this route up to the Glacier and beyond it to the Shivling base camp area etc.
_SAM3005.JPG

Reactions: essjaywhy

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I know it is nuts but I looked at the snowy peak ahead and I said " That looks skiable!". Well some of the forum members who ski down Mt. Feathertop might be able to ski it but just walking towards it was becoming taxing!
Chirbasa means "The Place of Pines". The tree line for Himalayan Deodar cedars seemed to be below 4000 M. As you can see the place of pines is concentrated at the floor of the valley.
_SAM3013.JPG

Reactions: skifree

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I know it is nuts but I looked at the snowy peak ahead and I said " That looks skiable!". Well some of the forum members who ski down Mt. Feathertop might be able to ski it but just walking towards it was becoming taxing!
Chirbasa means "The Place of Pines". The tree line for Himalayan Deodar cedars seemed to be below 4000 M. As you can see the place of pines is concentrated at the floor of the valley.
_SAM3013.JPG
Looks flat.

Sorry, had to be said ;)

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
.Facing back down the valley for the 9 km trudge back to Gangotri where I was obliged to recuperate .The weather for the trek was perfect and the rest of the party continued on up to the Gangotri Glacier and beyond. They said it snowed on one night in particular while they were near the campsite at Nandanvan.
_SAM3020.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
So many trekking teams, foreign trekkers and groups of porters and so on came and went while I was grounded in Gangotri , the last place you can drive to along that route, the end of the road. With no clinic or hospital nearby and no internet café anywhere I was truly left to tough it out on my own until my party returned from the best trek I have NEVER done.
I didn't speak very much English for a week!!.
_SAM3040.JPG

Myazma

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 10, 2009
Jindi
Nice pics, cheers for the report. Your bout of illness reminds me of - tag teaming me mate for the dunny for a couple of days in Darjeeling, lying in foetal position spewing for a day in a high alpine meadow near Gilgit, being worried about how we would survive a bus trip out of Katmandu after a nasty beef steak meal the previous night, Gardia night runs near Gokyo, the list goes on. Point being sickness is part and parcel of travelling Pak, India, Nepal etc and hence must be included (down time) in the travel itinerary, for us it was negated by longer trips

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Nice pics, cheers for the report. Your bout of illness reminds me of - tag teaming me mate for the dunny for a couple of days in Darjeeling, lying in foetal position spewing for a day in a high alpine meadow near Gilgit, being worried about how we would survive a bus trip out of Katmandu after a nasty beef steak meal the previous night, Gardia night runs near Gokyo, the list goes on. Point being sickness is part and parcel of travelling Pak, India, Nepal etc and hence must be included (down time) in the travel itinerary, for us it was negated by longer trips
We were booked to hike with a support team . When I became too poorly to continue I told my companions so and urged them to complete the itinerary without me.
I did get food poisoning on the second day in India in Delhi. I was vomiting all night and felt depleted for a day or two afterwards but 'better out than in'. I don't remember getting the runs at all the whole time I was in India and Sri Lanka on this trip.

Anyway after a very slow and stir crazy week of major down time in Gangotri the team from AQUA TERRA returned and so did my two walking friends.
So we headed by jeep from Gangotri back to Uttarkashi.
_SAM3051.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
My Friend Ms. A. took also some photos on this trip which she has sent me. I shall post a couple of her shots soon.

Eventually we halted for a night at Rishikesh having travelled from Uttarkashi ALL DAY in a jeep. It was a LONG trip. It is where the Beatles stayed in India near the Ganges river. It is a hippie tourist hell in the newer part of the town and the old city is a chaotic place which feels more like Uttar Pradesh on the plains than a foothills town. We got out of there the next day.
_SAM3056.JPG

Ubiquitous Steve

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 29, 2008
Nice pics!

Pity Mitta Valley And Mt Wills didn’t have similar upheaval and folding to its land mass!

But “Road o_O Accessl”l:emoji_house_abandoned:ooks a bit tricky!

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
I could imagine the Beatles stoned off their tits on Indian hash and ganga just bumming around, coming up with songs for the White Album, enjoying in the warm weather in Rishikesh back in the late 1960's, man.
It would have been a sleepier place back then, less touristy . However all of these towns are meat free. I am an Indian veg. diet kind of person but I like a nice egg or two and even eggs are banned in these River Ganges pilgrimage places.
Make something verboten and it regains a new appeal !
_SAM3054.JPG

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
So the Next Day Ms. M. went back to Haridwar and onto Delhi while Ms. A and I went back up to 2000 M. ASL and spent time in Mussoorie , a British Raj era Hill Station, which was very enjoyable.
It had many places to take pleasant half day walks in the hills and funny signs, old shops, crumbling lane ways and good views of the distant high snowy peaks closer to the Indo/ Tibetan Border , from whence we had travelled from.
_SAM3060.JPG

Reactions: skifree

Mister Tee on XC Skis

Ski Pass
Jul 29, 2015
soundcloud.com
Our Hotel was straight out of the 1920's Roger of the Raj era.It had 1890's furniture and fittings plus stuffed wildlife that the posh and well to do back in those times had shot for sport.
I spotted one the Team Leader's long lost cohorts from Team Bears who did not fare so well prior to conservation becoming more well understood.
_SAM3100.JPG

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass