1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Indoor to outdoor climbing

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by ActiveGal, Oct 16, 2006.

1. ActiveGal

ActiveGal First Runs

I'm taking a sideways glance at outdoor climbing after having been indoor climbing once a week for about eight years.

Not seriously or competitively, just to keep toned and have a bit of fun.

In roughly an hour my buddy and I scale 13 ropes a squash court high, very easy climbs - couple of overhangs but all super easy stuff. The climbs are like familiar roads, my hands and feet know where to go without looking or thinking - I'm sure I could climb some of them blindfolded. Actually might challenge my buddy to that tomorrow night for a giggle before our gym closes permanently.

Is it possible to recreate this style of keeping fit outdoors? I'd need a few climbs relatively close together with anchor points top and bottom.

Can someone point me in the right direction of legalities of outdoor climbing, particularly fixing anchor points?

Any good reference points or suggested beginner courses for outdoor climbing?

I really want to keep it light and fun and just for fitness rather than get too serious or competitive with myself.

Any hints / tips appreciated!!

2. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Sport climbing... close the the CC I'd go to Berowra for an intro.... http://www.sydneyclimbing.com/

Grey area. You are at your own risk. This is the esence of climbing. Even with steel and stone, nuttin lasts forever.

Hmmm. The Freedom of the Hills is the Bible. Buy an intro to sport climbing at your local climbing store. Gym might even have one.

Courses ? Dunno. Heaps of Gyms run them.

#2 climberman, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  3. Majikthise

Majikthise Sage Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I reckon you need to tour some off the popular climbing areas on weekends and see them being worked. Plenty of climbing guides available in outdoor shops. You'll need to buy some "string". I assume you've boots and harness. Lead climbing will require a lot more gear over time but I figure you'll be happy with top roping.

As far as areas go I figure Lindfield may be a good start for you. Plenty of climbers amongst this lot, we may even get up a Moosh Climbing day [​IMG]

#3 Majikthise, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  4. Shrek

Shrek Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

thats a good idea, mt boyce?

5. climberman

THE BIG K!

Consumer classics, sun, sand, sea and stone !

First weekend in November looks the goods.

6. ActiveGal

ActiveGal First Runs

Wow, thank you for your quick responses!

Thanks climberman for the link, I'm sure I'll be busy there for hours! That's a great reference, I've got google earth too so very useful very quickly!

(I'm kind of struggling with the lingo as much as anything!)

I have so much to learn.

Is top roping and sport climbing the same thing?

Majikthise a Moosh climb sounds interesting!! [​IMG] Would it be the first or have they already happened before? Muz and I did the very first drinks night so we'll have to bring him too!

#6 ActiveGal, Oct 16, 2006
  7. ActiveGal

ActiveGal First Runs

I understand I'm at my own risk and they are perishable, I'm unsure about the legality of it?

Can I just find a rock and put a permanent anchor point in or am I supposed to get permission? (Maybe I'd be better off NOT asking that question and pleading ignorance...)

#7 ActiveGal, Oct 16, 2006
  8. seak

seak One of Us

On Saturday, me and a partner got to base of Fuddy Duddy - grade 14, 95 metres over 3 pitches, then later moved over to Cave Climb - grade 13, 68 metres. The climbs are not sports routes, but 'trad' routes, requiring the leader to carry and place an array of removable 'protection'. There are anchor points at the top of each pitch (which is the bottom of the next pitch). Trees are utilised at ground level to connect the belayer to.
    Not for two newbies into the real world, and Narrow Neck climbs are considered hard for the grade.
    Started climbing at 0730, finished before 2pm.

Stuffed up abseiling down from the top of Fuddy Duddy - the 50 metre rope doubled over was about 1 metre short and I hung 1 metre out from the shaley ledge. In increasing winds, it took alot of effort to tie myself off when abseiling on a stitch plate, then tie knots in the end of the rope, untie and abseil onto the stopper knots, then swing in and grab slings we had connected to the Bolt Belay. Getting off the system, I then dropped the stitch plate which promptly shot off the cliff...

"...before our gym closes permanently."
    I was lead to believe that indoor rock-climbing was growing in popularity.

#8 seak, Oct 16, 2006
  9. Shrek

sound like your describing point perpendicular

#9 Shrek, Oct 16, 2006
  10. Shrek

top roping V sport

ill try and better heads can correct me.

top roping is where the rope runs though an ankor at the top of the pitch. done buy setting up then walking or abseiling down to the start of the climb. belay from botom or top depending. no placing of pro, no removal of pro.

sport. climbing where the route has been bolted, so instead of hexes and wedges and cams, you only carry bolt plates.

trad, climbing where you leave nothing but chalk marks, second removes the pro and there is no bolt to disfigure the rock.

so people argue that using trad gear is still aid climbing, some extremists argue that even climbing boots and slippers are an aid and that for the true spirit we should go barefoot, or naked.
    The pain of layer os skin vbeing scrapped off on sandstone does not thrill me so im not in that group.

11. seak

seak One of Us

Originally posted by ActiveGal:
    At MD in Katoomba St afterwards, I asked about purchasing a replacement belay/abseil device, and was served by semi-ledgendary hardman, Garth Miller. In our conversation, he spoke of bolting while route-setting at Blackheath's speccy Hanging Rock, which is in the Blue Mountains National Park, and indeed the declared Grose Wilderness.
    Heck! - I don't think he sought permission to take a drill and a bank of batteries.

In your situation, ActiveGal, just take a second (static) rope from which to set up a top-rope system. Clip this rope to a flat sling tied with a tape-knot to a distant fat, and LIVE, tree or 2. And set this rope down low to minimise leverage forces pulling the tree out of the ground. Which is unlikely. Then from a 'locker' (locking 'biner, put your dynamic [or static if top-roping, some say] rope through that for a yo-yo set-up.

#11 seak, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 25, 2013
  12. Majikthise

I'm still waiting for the day Garth's body catches up with his arms

13. Majikthise

oh and AG , as far as climbing goes I figure Muz would make great belay.

A seaside Moosh climbing venue would be handy the way the summer weather is going.

14. ActiveGal

ActiveGal First Runs

Thanks for that explanation Shrek! Top Roping is for me!! [​IMG]

Seak "our gym" is getting rid of it's climbing section that was never set up well in the first place. The first time we went there, some bright spark had decided talc would be good to use for chalk....! [​IMG] Most 'climbers' wouldn't dream of using it, it was just amazingly conveniently located for us and always empty so no waiting for a rope.

It has mostly been used by scouts I think, it has massive pieces and they're demolishing it to make way for more treadmills or something as exciting as that.

We've asked about the pieces, ropes and equipment - hoping they're prepared to sell them to us! Would make a fantastic climbing gym for my two godsons backyard.

#14 ActiveGal, Oct 16, 2006
  15. seak

seak One of Us

I bought some 2nd hand gear off a guy a couple of months back, whose girly didn't like the exposure at Point Perpendicular. Even on 2nd. The abseils in might not give confidence to a newbie above the roar of the ocean.
    Diamond Bay at Vaucluse is seaside and there are easier shorter routes in immediately adjacent Rosa Gully, I think.

16. seak

seak One of Us

Cam = Camming Device = SLCD = Self-Loading Camming Device = ~ $115 each.

Wild Country are an English mnufacturer who make cams called 'Friends'.

HB are a Welsh manufacter who make cams called 'Quadcams'.

Black Diamond are an American manufacturer who make cams called 'Camalots'.

I have 10 cams comprising of all three makes. No two are the same size.

Cams have 4 spring loaded metal 'teeth', that retract and allow placement in a parallel crack, to which an attached carabiner allows a dynamic climbing rope to be 'clipped in'. Should you fall, the cam will likely arrest your fall, due to its camming action.

Hexes also rely on a camming action, but are 6-sided pieces of hollow aluminium. You can (almost) buy a rack of hexes for the price of one cam, but they are a little more fiddly to use. I enjoy placing hexes as part of my climbing fun.

17. climberman

Stay away from the seacliffs when starting if reductions in panic are aimed at. Diamond is too weirdo for your stage. Glue, drilled pockets, sand and salt sweat... Unless Rosa has been rebolted it's a mush of rotting steel in a sea of sand. Great lines though.

The Point is a headspace.

Mt Keira (The Big K) is luverly. Has an east, west, north and south face so you can chase the shadows or the sun. Bushland setting, views over the 'gong, freeway access.

seak.... shhhsshhshshh ..... ...... ..... Hanging Rock is another headspace. Classics and cheese. Often in the same pitch !

18. climberman

AG - the lingo is peculiar but contained in it's spread... you'd pick it up in twenty minutes at the crag. Or a lifetime, or something.

19. AlanD

AlanD Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

AG, are you currently climbing at Marsfield on the squash courts there?

Is Activegal's situation the perfect excuse toget a Moosh climbing trip going?

20. seak

seak One of Us

Bolt plates. $5.50 each. A piece of steel best carried in your chalk bag, that is placed over a bolt previously placed (by drilling and gluing and hammering). A quick-draw is then clipped. And then the rope is clipped in.

Quick-draws are two snap-gate carabiners connected by a short load-rated sewn sling. Make your own or buy as a complete unit.

Once a 'draw' or any 'biner is on a bolt plate, it is impossible for the bolt-plate to come off over the hexagonal shape of the bolt-head.

To get into 'sport', you will need perhaps eight quick-draws and a similar number of bolt-plates. Yet a few routes at Mt York, say, have stainless steel bolt rings glued into the rock all up the face at appropriate spacings.

21. AlanD

#21 AlanD, Oct 16, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 14, 2013
  22. Shrek

even I could use him as a counter weight

#22 Shrek, Oct 16, 2006
  23. PaulM

PaulM First Runs

How is trad climbing aid climbing?? Placing your own gear vs clipping bolts??

No understand

And Activegal, go to any outdoor shop and buy a copy of a book called "How to Sports Climb". Read it. You will then be equipped to decide whether you can make this jump or not. There is a lot more to outdoor climbing, even sports climbing, than athleticism. If you need it get someone to hold your hand.

Paul

#23 PaulM, Oct 16, 2006
  24. climberman

It's the European in Shrekko coming out.

I'll go to the Big K for a klimb

#24 climberman, Oct 16, 2006
  25. PaulM

PaulM First Runs

Thre newly invented "Trad French Free"?? Novel...

P

#25 PaulM, Oct 16, 2006
  26. climberman

You have it in one.

27. seak

seak One of Us

Based on his climbing experiences, didn't Lincoln write a novel. Strangley, I haven't seen it in the Op shops like I used to since his escape from the death zone.

28. PaulM

PaulM First Runs

What's next? High ethics sport climbing?

As someone of note said... "Sport climbing is neither"

:)

P

#28 PaulM, Oct 16, 2006
  29. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It's a real shocker. I think it's called 'Blood on the Lotus'. It's about a westerners experience with Tibetan rebels fighting the Chinese in the 1960's or 70's.

Lets just say that he is an excellent non-fiction writer, something he should stick to in future efforts.

#29 Bogong, Oct 16, 2006
  30. seak

seak One of Us

I am certain Lincoln is working on a much-awaited piece of non-fiction now, Bogong.

In White Limbo, I think Lincoln Hall mentions that the advent of Friends (Cams, ActiveGal!) in the late 1970's assisted to push his climbing by 2 or 3 grades.

31. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Aid climbing - using the hardware to aid your way up the wall. Originally this meant hammering steel pegs of various shapes (pitons) into cracks, and hauling up on slings or webbing attached to those. You can also aid climb by hauling on cams or wedges etc..

Trad climbing - climbing the rock using only the rock for hand and foot holds. Gear such as passive wegdes, spring-loaded-camming-devices (SLCDs) are placed into cracks and gaps in the rock as you go and are retrieved by the seconder. The gear is placed to run the rope through to act as a safety device. The rope is there to catch a fall. It is considered poor form to haul on the gear or to sit your weight on the rope. People who do these things and still claim to have successfully completed the climb are (rightly) considered to be scum.

Sport climbing - Like trad climbing but using fixed protection that has been permanently placed on the climb prior to ascent. This may range from bolts (over which you sit a bent metal plate to attach a carabiner to), to metal rings, to pre-placed quick-draws. Not needing to be able to fiddle with gear placements on a precarious stance without fatiguing generally means that you can climb much harder on sport routes.

Top roping - just like the gym, but outdoors. The rope is placed first with a pulley system on an anchor at the top, and you belay from the ground just like the gym.

Trad climbing is my favourite variety. [​IMG]

#31 telemark fred, Oct 16, 2006
  32. PaulM

PaulM First Runs

Exploratory alpine: do whatever you need to do to get to the top.

Paul

33. seak

seak One of Us

Once in a while we are all scum [​IMG]

#33 seak, Oct 16, 2006
  34. Rolo

Rolo One of Us

Similar to going backcountry (& frontcountry), it can be real useful to go with some others who know the ropes (haha) to point out the small things that might not be self-evident [​IMG]

#34 Rolo, Oct 16, 2006
  35. Shrek

the arguement is set out in the wolgan guide much better than I can do. basicaly it goes that, if you are using equipment not attached to you when you were born, you are aiding. slings and shoes and ropes were considfered aids. Bolts and clipping didnt exist. ah, decadence. [​IMG]

#35 Shrek, Oct 16, 2006
  36. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Y'see, I reckon that carrying a heavy rack of trad gear, and dicking around getting pumped while placing it is a handicap compared with soloing nude. The chalk and sticky rubber I am happy to accept are aids, not so the rest - unless you actually use it (in addition to hauling on the rock itself) to get up.

#36 telemark fred, Oct 17, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  37. PaulM

PaulM First Runs

[/QUOTE]Y'see, I reckon that carrying a heavy rack of trad gear, and dicking around getting pumped while placing it is a handicap compared with soloing nude. The chalk and sticky rubber I am happy to accept are aids, not so the rest - unless you actually use it (in addition to hauling on the rock itself) to get up. [/QB][/QUOTE]

Yep I agree, except for the little drawback of certain death if you fall under the nude soloing scenario. Not to mention the nasty sunburn on regions not normally touched by the sun's rays... Gives a whole new meaning to 'crack climbing'.
    [​IMG]
    P

#37 PaulM, Oct 17, 2006
  38. ActiveGal

ActiveGal First Runs

Waitara - Millenium gym. I live in Hornsby so it is a gym within walking distance that we usually had all to ourselves. Are you insinuating another gym used talc instead of chalk?! Gotta say I'm pretty amazed if that's the case!! [​IMG]

I have so much reading to do.. and currently being audited so will come back to this!

#38 ActiveGal, Oct 17, 2006
  39. AlanD

Not at all, I didn't realise that another gym had been set up inside a squash court. If you and your climbing partner decide to migrate down to St Leonards, let me know.

40. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Viking Gym in Newcastle was in 3 squash courts. Was.

41. skichic

skichic A Local

Great thread thanks! The kids and I climb indoors regularly, but I'm keen to get them outside on the Kangaroo Pt cliffs. :thumbs:

42. ActiveGal

ActiveGal First Runs

Don't really have anything to add but want to keep a track of good website references here and this one is really helping me learn about the pieces and ropes and buckles and bits and bobs... Suddenly the disorienting lingo might start to click for me...!

http://www.metoliusclimbing.com

#42 ActiveGal, Oct 20, 2006
  43. Romfrantic

Romfrantic Hard Yards

Another good site, is Petzl's "advice" on technique pages...here the link to rockclimbing (there are other pages there for ice-climbing, glacier safety/travel, canyoning, etc)

...scroll down to "advice"
    http://en.petzl.com/petzl/SportActivite?Activite=14

It's good to note - it is important that one makes one's own assessment of risks ...various advice on techcniques and methods is OK and what works for some down't always work for others. One should make up one's own mind, scrutinise and be comfortable taking the risks you've assessed. Nothing is 100% risk free, it's all about reducing the odds of bad risks.

#43 Romfrantic, Oct 20, 2006
  44. ActiveGal

ActiveGal First Runs

Thank you Romfrantic! :cheers:

45. AlanD

Lots of good info on the Chockstone Website even through it's run by Mexicans. It seems to have become the defacto NSW forum.

#45 AlanD, Oct 20, 2006
  46. Mr Bent Knee

Mr Bent Knee First Runs

Chockstone is good...a few of us from around here post there a bit...all the silly QLDers and NSWers are hitting it up now....but thats ok, they need to learn some ethics about bolting...

47. climberman

we know all about bolting, never you worry about that.

48. AlanD

I've noticed for few of us over on it.

The NSW forum leaves a lot to be desired.

49. Majikthise

TF second post in this thread!

50. telemark fred

telemark fred One of Us

Ta! [​IMG]

#50 telemark fred, Nov 15, 2006