Inflated Accommodation Prices gone mad 2021 Season Jindabyne and Perisher

jabsy

Hard Yards
Oct 14, 2012
North Qld
Just testing opinions out there as to the crazy over inflated prices for accommodation in Jindabyne and Perisher this 2021 season? Hotel owners have gone rank with the most expensive prices this year ever. I have been booking accommodation every year for the past 20 years and what I am seeing now is just insane prices and most is booked out. Lucky I booked 3 months ago but still paid way way more than previous years. Must be taking advantage of skiers and boarders unable to travel to NZ (which I usually spend a week over the ditch every year). Very ordinary lodges charging $7,200 for 5 days for 2 people is crazy. Well known lodge in Jindabyne charging $900 per night for a studio apartment is mad. Lucky I have booked already to visit NZ next season - at a LOT LESS cost than Australian ski fields. Won't this cause a hastle if lockdown occurs in Jindabyne or Perisher.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
It is what it is. Making up for last year.

And with the economy awash with cash, it isn't the only thing subject to Covid tax.

Try buying a used car, or buying or renting a house.

People are coming in to the shop (well not in the last 2 weeks) and trying to haggle on skis. It's pretty amusing.

Chop

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 6, 2017
Jindabyne
.... and then they look outside and say.... wow look at all that snow, isn't it amazing. I want to ski/ride this year (oh wait, I didn't go and missed it)

Reactions: fenrir and CarveMan

Sbooker

One of Us
Ski Pass
Sep 28, 2015
Just testing opinions out there as to the crazy over inflated prices for accommodation in Jindabyne and Perisher this 2021 season? Hotel owners have gone rank with the most expensive prices this year ever. I have been booking accommodation every year for the past 20 years and what I am seeing now is just insane prices and most is booked out. Lucky I booked 3 months ago but still paid way way more than previous years. Must be taking advantage of skiers and boarders unable to travel to NZ (which I usually spend a week over the ditch every year). Very ordinary lodges charging $7,200 for 5 days for 2 people is crazy. Well known lodge in Jindabyne charging $900 per night for a studio apartment is mad. Lucky I have booked already to visit NZ next season - at a LOT LESS cost than Australian ski fields. Won't this cause a hastle if lockdown occurs in Jindabyne or Perisher.
We're a family of 4 and are paying $1485 for 5 nights in the second week of August at Kookaburra Lodge in Jindy. Breakfast is included. We've never stayed at the property as we usually stay at the Banjo Paterson pub.
Yes it's expensive but not super crazy.

*For reference we normally stay in pretty decent digs (generally off snow in a nearby town) in Europe, North America or Japan for about $200 to $250aud per night.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
As a counter to this argument, the house we've been renting for a week in Jindabyne every August since 2004 is costing exactly the same amount as last year.
Maybe they'll hit us up with a big increase for 2022.:)
Yep - my parents have do very modest increase each year. No Covid tax.

Reactions: JG
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
People are coming in to the shop (well not in the last 2 weeks) and trying to haggle on skis. It's pretty amusing.
I'll offer you $10 for a pair of atomic vantage 75...

The secondary market for skis is even crazy now, and I notice that despite the USD going down most gear is more expensive than last year. either their is a shortage of gear or the middle men are taking their pound of flesh.

Lady Penelope

One of some lot ...
Ski Pass
Sep 7, 2014
Canberra
We're a family of 4 and are paying $1485 for 5 nights in the second week of August at Kookaburra Lodge in Jindy. Breakfast is included. We've never stayed at the property as we usually stay at the Banjo Paterson pub.
Yes it's expensive but not super crazy.

That is not expensive. For Jindy in peak season for a family with breakfast, that is super cheap!

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
It is what it is. Making up for last year.

And with the economy awash with cash, it isn't the only thing subject to Covid tax.

Try buying a used car, or buying or renting a house.
Try paying for insurance, including for bushfire, in the Alpine regions ATM. It's effing horrendous and our biggest cost by a country mile. If @jabsy thinks he's being ripped off this year I'd suggest he starts saving now for 2022.

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
5 nights at TAH in a twin share Tues - Sun last week of July cost us $3,100. Essentially unchanged from last year.
Given the location I think that's a hell of a lot better than 2K in Jindy!

Reactions: Ozgirl

Spence

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 16, 2019
Sydney
Just booked five nights at the Station 18-23. $1395. Roughly $350 each for four of us. Motel style room. We normally get an apartment, but this season we are taking this as a good result. The alternative is not skiing so we are all pretty happy.

fenrir

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 23, 2010
I think we paid $4100 for 9 nights in a 3br place in the first week of August and there were 6 of us in the end (although I was prepared to split it evenly between 4). Seems reasonable enough...

Reactions: Spence

JG

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 26, 2000
Sydney
We all want a bargain...you have to try :) I have been trying to get the advertised 20% off Thredbo Ski hire for the family (I rushed and booked the lift tickets without reading the fine print) :)

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
Not any more expensive for the last 3 yrs beyond any normal inflation.

$3400 for 7 nights 2 People Perisher Manor last week of August. Breakfast and dinners (and dinners THE BEST)
We normally stay in September at the PVH, to save some cost this year we didn’t bother.

Forgot that we filled out an expression of interest, total quote $7,175, cost increase over last year $1,825:oops:

So you have indeed grabbed a bargain though we do have a family of 4 vs 2.

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
We normally stay in September at the PVH, to save some cost this year we didn’t bother.

Forgot that we filled out an expression of interest, total quote $7,175, cost increase over last year $1,825:oops:

So you have indeed grabbed a bargain though we do have a family of 4 vs 2.
We did 2x that price for the 4 of us
The rooms are small and old there, but the food is unbeatable. Menued 3 course meal each night as good as any 4 star hotel City hotel.

Sage O

Like the herb, cup ramen devotee
Ski Pass
Sep 8, 2017
Origami Hutte/Newy
$6 for a week in the hutte, self catering, bargain :D
2B2FCE8D-769B-412B-BE6B-3506BB65AC93.jpeg

Tonester

Lift Line Nazi
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2001
Sydney
To put the cost of accomodation matter into perspective...
Our small family club lodge in Perisher took a massive dive in revenue, as did all other lodges, in 2020. Our occupancy rate was a ridiculous 2% for the winter season.
We have negotiated (finally) a rent relief deal with NPWS. While it's ok, it's only just OK. I won't go into details but we are now required to pay the 2020 rent (because it was deferred until the rent relief decision was made...just in the last few days) AND we have to pay for 2021-22 in advance. Thankfully our bookings have bounced back to pretty much normal. But even so, as a small not-for-profit club lodge we are struggling.
I can only imagine how hard it is for other businesses. So, while you might whinge about price increases, it's not likely because of opportunism IMHO. It's out of necessity and survival in most cases.

Jonathan_P

One of Us
Ski Pass
Dec 22, 2018
The price hikes are too much for me.
I am on a relatively low income and for a few years now I have not had someone to share accommodation costs with.
I simply can not afford to pay the over the top prices when only 1 person is staying there.
For a single person it’s pretty expensive, last year I did a couple of solo trips and whilst cheaper than family trips it was no bargain.

Cut it back to one solo trip this year though may bring Miss 4.

Looked for a weekend in June at $1150 for 3 nights at my usual place decided that I can wait until July.

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
Looked for a weekend in June at $1150 for 3 nights at my usual place decided that I can wait until July.
My usual Jindy haunts had been under $130/ night mid-week before June school hols in previous years. For a last minute 7 night booking for next week I was looking at typically double that. There were other places cheaper, but not as highly rated.

I ended up with an Airbnb at Horizons, 7 nights $1490.

jabsy

Hard Yards
Oct 14, 2012
North Qld
Try paying for insurance, including for bushfire, in the Alpine regions ATM. It's ****ing horrendous and our biggest cost by a country mile. If @jabsy thinks he's being ripped off this year I'd suggest he starts saving now for 2022.
-PERSONAL ATTACK DELETED-as my post suggested in the very opening line - just testing the thoughts on the increase. Yes some have good deals but the prices are so inflated (despite your insurance costs - maybe you should shop around) that I personally will ski New Zealand next year. There is a limit to greed.

Last edited by a moderator:

jabsy

Hard Yards
Oct 14, 2012
North Qld
I never understand these posts.

"Wow prices are crazy - lucky i booked ages ago. But looking now wow crazy. "
Can't you handle factual comments about pricing. It affects a lot of people who budget to enable them to go skiing. OK if your filthy rich I guess.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
-deleted- as my post suggested in the very opening line - just testing the thoughts on the increase. Yes some have good deals but the prices are so inflated (despite your insurance costs - maybe you should shop around) that I personally will ski New Zealand next year. There is a limit to greed.
Can't you handle factual comments about pricing. It affects a lot of people who budget to enable them to go skiing. OK if your filthy rich I guess.
For someone so new to the forums you are doing well on the "how to win friends and influence people" stakes. Best you shuffle off to unzud and annoy the kiwis....

Last edited by a moderator:

jabsy

Hard Yards
Oct 14, 2012
North Qld
The price hikes are too much for me.
I am on a relatively low income and for a few years now I have not had someone to share accommodation costs with.
I simply can not afford to pay the over the top prices when only 1 person is staying there.
Thank you for your honest feedback. I agree with you. So much cynicism in comments in some of these posts. Cheers and I hope you have the opportunity to go next year. I am skiing NZ next year hopefully, (Covide dependant) as it is way way cheaper - better snow / better service / better accommodation / better food / less windy days than Oz. It appears greed has crept in the Australian snow industry.

• Haha
Reactions: Ozgirl

Donza

Dogs body...
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
Thank you for your honest feedback. I agree with you. So much cynicism in comments in some of these posts. Cheers and I hope you have the opportunity to go next year. I am skiing NZ next year hopefully, (Covide dependant) as it is way way cheaper - better snow / better service / better accommodation / better food / less windy days than Oz. It appears greed has crept in the Australian snow industry.
Good for you.
However NZ hasn't been immune to price hikes and crazy domestic surge prices.

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
Yeah some people think the ski industry is charity to serve them.

You don't go into business to make a loss. If your business makes a loss, only 3 choices, close the business, cut costs, raise prices.

The problem with accommodation based business is even if no visitors , land taxes still come in, and there are only so many costs you cut before people don't want you.

After last year, I would expect business to try get into the black as since as possible. In a tight market, prices will go up.

Have fun in NZ, if you actually get there.

skichic

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
May 26, 2003
The prices are insane. $350 a night for a room at the LJ. I hesitate paying that for a 5* hotel in the city, but have done. It’s greed. They know people will pay so they charge ridiculous prices.

Reactions: jabsy

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
The prices are insane. $350 a night for a room at the LJ. I hesitate paying that for a 5* hotel in the city, but have done. It’s greed. They know people will pay so they charge ridiculous prices.
We are paying less than that this LWE weekend for The Man in Perisher. Later in the season we are at lake crackenback for that price.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass