Inflated Accommodation Prices gone mad 2021 Season Jindabyne and Perisher

Fozzie Bear

Where's my flapping ears gone.....
Ski Pass
Jun 2, 2014
In the woods

Doesn't include lunch or dinner, and staying in Lucy Lodge. So food options would be Stillwell Restaurant or The Chalet.

My cost so far 2 weeks accomodation (end July and beginning of September) for 2 (full board) and 2 annual passes $6,798. Only additional costs will be Ski Tube, any private lessons we take and alcohol. The annual pass pays for itself if staying for more than 10 days and hopefully I will be able to make use of any casual vacancies in my lodge (managers have me on speed dial for late cancellations).

Reactions: Jonathan_P

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
Can't you handle factual comments about pricing. It affects a lot of people who budget to enable them to go skiing. OK if your filthy rich I guess.
A factual comment would be, "anyone notice a huge price increase this year?"

I dont understand coming in all guns blazing and doing the whole "I got a good deal sucks for the rest of you"

You have no idea my situation etc. I could have been offended you were rubbing it in my face.

Ozgirl

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 5, 2007
Sydney/Jindy
The prices are insane. $350 a night for a room at the LJ. I hesitate paying that for a 5* hotel in the city, but have done. It’s greed. They know people will pay so they charge ridiculous prices.
You have a bed here anytime.

Reactions: nfip
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
-PERSONAL ATTACK DELETED-as my post suggested in the very opening line - just testing the thoughts on the increase. Yes some have good deals but the prices are so inflated (despite your insurance costs - maybe you should shop around) that I personally will ski New Zealand next year. There is a limit to greed.
It's not greed @jabsy, when insurance costs consume over 40% of your revenue you have no option if you want to provide accommodation to the general public.
And you think we haven't shopped around you fool? Please, head to NZ, Post Edited. Combative Personal Attacks will not be tolerated

Last edited by a moderator:

Aractus

One of Us
Sep 5, 2018
Canberra
To put the cost of accomodation matter into perspective...
Our small family club lodge in Perisher took a massive dive in revenue, as did all other lodges, in 2020. Our occupancy rate was a ridiculous 2% for the winter season.
We have negotiated (finally) a rent relief deal with NPWS. While it's ok, it's only just OK. I won't go into details but we are now required to pay the 2020 rent (because it was deferred until the rent relief decision was made...just in the last few days) AND we have to pay for 2021-22 in advance. Thankfully our bookings have bounced back to pretty much normal. But even so, as a small not-for-profit club lodge we are struggling.

Indeed. I don't think the OP realises that 2020 costs have caught up with the lodges this year. I spoke to a few lodge owners and managers last year, and I don't remember any of them saying they were doing better than break-even and that would have been the exception.

Reactions: Sir Surfalot

Gumbo

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 4, 2000
Wollongong N.S.W
It will be interesting to see what happens once O/S opens up again. (Not the BS opening that could end up costing you an extra 2 weeks quarantine). Yes we live in a capitalist market and yeah many got smashed last year with COVID but if you smash the budget traveller too much they may just keep saving and end up O/S once it opens up again. And you know most of the people willing to pay the crazy prices will def be spending O/S so what sort of a issue is this going to create down the track?

Reactions: Tanuki

Billy_Buttons

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Mar 25, 2011
It will be interesting to see what happens once O/S opens up again. (Not the BS opening that could end up costing you an extra 2 weeks quarantine). Yes we live in a capitalist market and yeah many got smashed last year with COVID but if you smash the budget traveller too much they may just keep saving and end up O/S once it opens up again. And you know most of the people willing to pay the crazy prices will def be spending O/S so what sort of a issue is this going to create down the track?
There are enough people to always fill. When the gates open back up to students/immigration and foreign tourists. Lots of our airbnb bookings came from mainland China, Malaysia and Singapore alone.

jrr

One of Us
Ski Pass
May 20, 2002
Haberfield, Sydney
$3450 for 2 people 7 nights, ski in- ski out , 3 meals .. at CPV
Hell yeah. That sounds like what my old club (Snowbird) would be doing. Loved it. Now that all the kids have grown up I just get to go down for a 5 day mid week blast with the daughter so Thredbo suits more, but I love CPV.
Thank gawd the daughter's BF doesn't like skiing and we still get to go for some father daughter bonding :)

Marty McSly

A brick propping up the furniture
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Hunter Valley Whine Country, NSW
-PERSONAL ATTACK DELETED-as my post suggested in the very opening line - just testing the thoughts on the increase. Yes some have good deals but the prices are so inflated (despite your insurance costs - maybe you should shop around) that I personally will ski New Zealand next year. There is a limit to greed.
If Unzud is open for business next year, don't be surprised if their price levels are well into gouging territory. And you won't get anything like discounted flights. Start saving now.

Reactions: cqen2l and Ozgirl

jabsy

Hard Yards
Oct 14, 2012
North Qld
It's not greed @jabsy, when insurance costs consume over 40% of your revenue you have no option if you want to provide accommodation to the general public.
And you think we haven't shopped around you fool? Please, head to NZ, we don't tolerate ignorant fools.
Oh I will gladly head to NZ next year if the prices in Oz continue to be this high and so will a lot of others. No - I'm NOT an ignorant fool as you suggest - just a person who looks for value for money and one who does not endorse greed (like a lot of other people). There has to be a balance.

Reactions: Tanuki

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
Oh I will gladly head to NZ next year if the prices in Oz continue to be this high and so will a lot of others. No - I'm NOT an ignorant fool as you suggest - just a person who looks for value for money and one who does not endorse greed (like a lot of other people). There has to be a balance.
You don't get it do you? We are a not for profit registered organisation. We need to cover our running expenses, so charge accordingly. You clearly have no idea on how to run a business entity. Personal Attack Deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: NightSky and nezumi

Camoman

One of Us
May 10, 2019
Jindabyne
And you think we haven't shopped around you fool? Please, head to NZ, we don't tolerate ignorant fools.

Interested to hear how lodge insurances can rack up to that 40%. Genuinely out of interest. My holiday unit (one in a strata block of 4) has a building insurance policy and then I have my own short stay policy in place.
Combination of both is nowhere near 40% of my revenue. More like 5-7% depending on how much summer use.
My unit is in jindy. I understand on hill building insurance would be higher but wouldnt have thought so much.

cqen2l

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Feb 7, 2003
Northern Beaches
Interested to hear how lodge insurances can rack up to that 40%. Genuinely out of interest. My holiday unit (one in a strata block of 4) has a building insurance policy and then I have my own short stay policy in place.
Combination of both is nowhere near 40% of my revenue. More like 5-7% depending on how much summer use.
My unit is in jindy. I understand on hill building insurance would be higher but wouldnt have thought so much.
We're a timber clad building at the top of a heavily vegetated slope, classed very high risk. There 30+ buildings in the same category. My understanding is that even buildings like the Arlberg, all brick and in a lower risk area are having trouble getting insurance.

Camoman

One of Us
May 10, 2019
Jindabyne
Well that sucks!! But makes sense too.

Guessing only trillion $$ fire bunker-esq modern design might assist. But even then possibly not

Kletterer

Thredbo Doughnut Tragic
Nov 26, 2014
Canberra
Try a less combative approach to your posts if you wish to avoid a thread ban.

gareth_oau

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 27, 2008
Canning Vale, Perth
We're a timber clad building at the top of a heavily vegetated slope, classed very high risk. There 30+ buildings in the same category. My understanding is that even buildings like the Arlberg, all brick and in a lower risk area are having trouble getting insurance.
Insurance is a weird bit of business. Even my low risk home insurance in Perth has gone up substantially because of the East Coast fires last year. The underwriters will need to recover those payouts via increased premiums on everyone

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Interested to hear how lodge insurances can rack up to that 40%.
Insurance went through the roof. Also just generally difficult to get/renew insurance in the first place at any price since last year. My source: Two lodges in Perisher plus a chap I surf with once or twice a week does - among other things - insurance inspections of ski lodges (NSW and Vic).

djam

One of Us
Apr 6, 2009
Insurance since the fires a couple of years back has gone crazy, in alpine areas as well as other country areas. About half the underwriters have stopped offering insurance, others have just stopped fire cover. Premiums of those that are left, some not taking on new clients, have double and tripled, on what was already huge insurance costs. One lodge IIRC went from about $30k to $90K this year.

Medicine_Shoes

One of Us
Dec 9, 2018
The earlier you book, the cheaper it is. You would have to be blind to not see that prices and demand were going to be high this year. My partner and I booked a tiny house in Kalkite for mid August back in January and its only costing us $1200 for a week.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
The earlier you book, the cheaper it is. You would have to be blind to not see that prices and demand were going to be high this year. My partner and I booked a tiny house in Kalkite for mid August back in January and its only costing us $1200 for a week.
This.

You snooze, you lose.

WaitAwhile

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 29, 2012
Perth/part time resident of Jindabyne
A lot of these places are also subsidized by the Feds in the form of negative gearing , so people should be grateful that these rental properties are providing a service to the the local tourism market and thus making ski holidays more affordable
I'm sure if the borders are still closed next year , many owners will realign their prices in line with supply and demand.

Reactions: Jonathan_P

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Lots of queuing, not much skiing.

20210612_093626.jpg

ShavedBadger

A Right Tit.
Ski Pass
Apr 30, 2018
Excuse the ignorance, but what's the drive time between Kalkite and Thredbo/Perisher each day? Wouldn't that be a pain the arse?

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
Reactions: NightSky

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
So whats the primary cause for the mega long lift lines.
Lack of snow on the ground to open more lifts or staffing problems and an inability to open more lifts due to lack of staff.
Skiing is popular, and will be more so this year due to no travel last summer and most likely no travel this coming summer.

Marty McSly

Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2011
Just testing opinions out there as to the crazy over inflated prices for accommodation in Jindabyne and Perisher this 2021 season? Hotel owners have gone rank with the most expensive prices this year ever. I have been booking accommodation every year for the past 20 years and what I am seeing now is just insane prices and most is booked out. Lucky I booked 3 months ago but still paid way way more than previous years. Must be taking advantage of skiers and boarders unable to travel to NZ (which I usually spend a week over the ditch every year). Very ordinary lodges charging $7,200 for 5 days for 2 people is crazy. Well known lodge in Jindabyne charging $900 per night for a studio apartment is mad. Lucky I have booked already to visit NZ next season - at a LOT LESS cost than Australian ski fields. Won't this cause a hastle if lockdown occurs in Jindabyne or Perisher.
Have you ever been to Copper Mountain? Skiing in the USA can be cheaper than you think, for those "in the know". ;)

Give Kiss Travel a call on 08 6142 8962, ask for David Andrews and quote referral code "NA Deals from ski.com.au". He'll greet you like a long lost friend and set you up with some fantastic deals on flights, accommodation and lift tix.

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
So whats the primary cause for the mega long lift lines.
Lack of snow on the ground to open more lifts or staffing problems and an inability to open more lifts due to lack of staff.
Total terrain open for the customer load.

Enough snow to open a little more ( Mt P, blue cow terminal and Zalis) , but not enough staff to prepare and run. Most aren't due in till the next 2 weeks for the school holidays.

Reactions: Donza

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
We knew 4 months ago that this season was going to be like no other with forward bookings .
You would hate to think that they have not sorted out staffing issues with getting lifts open
You plan staffing 4 months in advance. Since most are itinerant workers coming in for the season at a specific time, you can't just ask them to come 2, 3, 4 weeks earlier than scheduled at a moment's notice, where do you put them?

And it's all for just 1 weekend.

if it didn't snow last week, do you think that it would have been so busy? Lots have driven down just because of this snow fall.

Reactions: JG and nezumi

WaitAwhile

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 29, 2012
You plan staffing 4 months in advance. Since most are itinerant workers coming in for the season at a specific time, you can't just ask them to come 2, 3, 4 weeks earlier than scheduled at a moment's notice, where do you put them?

And it's all for just 1 weekend.

if it didn't snow last week, do you think that it would have been so busy? Lots have driven down just because of this snow fall.
Actually they don't want to pay them, and every single weekend will probably be like this due to massive demand from customers this year.
I spent most of my 20s chasing the snow in France and Australia and usually the really quiet time for work was in between the summer season and waiting for the winter season to kick of.
The summer resorts would have well and truly laid of their staff.
You just sit around waiting for the snow to start falling, oh wait that's already happened !!
Back in those days many companies provided accommodation for their winter staff, but the bean counters figured out years ago they could rent the rooms out to paying guests and the workers sorted out their own accommodation.

Now customers are paying the price, because they dont have the staff available to open up when the demand is there.

Sir Surfalot

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 23, 2000
Somewhere surfy or snowy
Since most are itinerant workers coming in for the season at a specific time, you can't just ask them to come 2, 3, 4 weeks earlier than scheduled at a moment's notice, where do you put them?
This. Worst thing for those people too is to be in Jindy “early”, not getting any hours of work, and burning money at Jindy winter rates… Leads to bad results all round.

Reactions: NightSky

NightSky

One of Us
Ski Pass
Ski Pass
Jul 6, 2015
Omega Centauri
Actually they don't want to pay them, and every single weekend will probably be like this due to massive demand from customers this year.
I spent most of my 20s chasing the snow in France and Australia and usually the really quiet time for work was in between the summer season and waiting for the winter season to kick of.
The summer resorts would have well and truly laid of their staff.
You just sit around waiting for the snow to start falling, oh wait that's already happened !!
Back in those days many companies provided accommodation for their winter staff, but the bean counters figured out years ago they could rent the rooms out to paying guests and the workers sorted out their own accommodation.

Now customers are paying the price, because they dont have the staff available to open up when the demand is there.
Well there is/was a steady stream of requests/queries for accommodation for "staff" on Facebook saying they were starting/needing accommodation from mid next week.

WaitAwhile

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 29, 2012
Well there is/was a steady stream of requests/queries for accommodation for "staff" on Facebook saying they were starting/needing accommodation from mid next week.
Yeah , its a bit late for that , especially if the accommodation isn't there .
This isn't a new problem, its been brewing for years , they knew they had a problem years ago and absolutely nothing was done .
Housing staff all the way in Berridale wasn't a solution, it was just kicking the can further down the road.
Young kids are not going to head off to the ski resorts if they cannot get accommodation.
They dont even want to earn good money , but they dont want to get ripped off, and they want to go out and socialize , have a good time at the pubs and ski when they are not working.
Not live in some isolated place, where they are "out of sight and out of mind"

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
We knew 4 months ago that this season was going to be like no other with forward bookings .
You would hate to think that they have not sorted out staffing issues with getting lifts open
No overseas staff had proven to be a difficult hurdle to overcome.

COVID is another issue. Lots of people in the industry, really experienced people, seasonal managers etc were told to go home after Falls and Hotham closed last winter.

Lots of people turned down their job offers when Melbourne locked down. Potential staff are worried that after going to the time and effort to relocate for the winter they'll just be sent home again due to another wave of COVID.

Accommodation like you say is another big problem

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass