INFO ON BAW BAW

funnyonion

First Runs
Aug 16, 2007
Hi guys (Managed to sort out the ol snow chains) for the hire car (see previous post few days ago).

Just wondering if anyone wants to give me their 2 cents worth on baw baw.

Were coming from WA but only for a quick 4 night break and chose Baw Baw for the travelling distance and my other 3 amigos are all totally beginners. I have noticed a lot of people saying that the runs are really short, not many options etc. and just want to reasure myself that i havnt made the wrong decision (based on going the extra mile and going to mount buller).

- What is the mountain really like? - for total beginners are they going to get bored or is there enough to keep them occupied on the slopes? (what is the longest run if the manage to progress from falling on their [auto-censor] all day?

- Do the slopes get really busy with the limited lifts etc?

- Staying in a lodge and I know there is no big grocery or anything but is there enough to go make some brekkie in the mornings? or am i better off grabbing everything in melbourne when we arrive

- And lastly, (and more importantly for 2 of my party) whats the nightlife like (alpine bar etc) ?

Any info will be appreciated (arriving 29th August), i tend not to take notice on what the travel agent says cause they would talk-up a pile of poo if they thought they could sell it to ya.

Thanks for you help

HiLo

Old n' Crusty
Mar 26, 2001
Yarra Valley
- Fine for one day for beginners.

- Unlikely to be too busy mid-week

- Breakfast supplies are available

- A few licenced premises available, Pub, Village Central, Kellys

Book your friends in for a lesson. It will help.

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
Definitely buy your supplies in Melbourne>
Supplies on mountain are limited and exxy!
Otherwise,........wot HiLo said!

snOWFAlls

First Runs
Jun 4, 2007
melbourne
if you're just beginners, baw baw should be fine.
bring up lots of food.
and be very careful driving up and down the hill. ...very careful! and you should be fine

practice you're skiing a much as ya can.
after that you should be stuffed and wont need a big night out

baw baw is as fun as you make it

Kahanamoku

One of Us
Sep 9, 2003
Traralgon
Visit site
if an absolute beginner, you wont get bored. Plenty of places for advancement and adventure. Place is small enough for you to go looking for places without getting lost

if (big if) busy, the slopes won't be, the queue's will be!

Food, pick up at Pakenham, or bypass the Drouin exit and grab food in Warragul. Otherwise, Kelly's Bacon & Eggs for breakfast.

Nightlife.... there's a nightlife?????!!!!!
shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

funnyonion

First Runs
Aug 16, 2007
Cool! thanks for all that. I'd say we'll all be knackered anyway but just wanted to know that there was somewhere decent for going for a few beers afterwards.

Ill take note of the lack of food and stock up on the way.

Thanks again!!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
The suggestion about buying some food in Pakenham is a really good one. Corn chips,beer,snacks,soup,nuts, fruit, etc.
The drive up to B.B. is very windy, but very beautiful.Enjoy it.
At Baw Baw , the longest run (the Summit) is also the easiest run, so it's great for beginners, but intermediates and others need to move to shorter, but more interesting runs like Champagne, Maltese and the Playground. Tank Hill is very short, but quite a challenging run for beginners.Runs rated black are very short, like La Descent and Slalom, but beware of out of control snowboarders in the Old Hut region. Baw Baw is a great place, if limited, so enjoy it as it is.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

funnyonion

First Runs
Aug 16, 2007
Chris Cross thanks for all that info - Gives me a better idea now and I reckon the guys will love it anyway (so many people on this forum seem to like it).

We are going for the snowboarding lessons so ill include myself as one of the "out of control" boarders too.....

Thanks again

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass