Info on Baw Baw

severz22

First Runs
Sep 12, 2009
Hi, I'm thinking of heading to Baw Baw tomorrow (Sunday 8th Aug) to teach the GF to ski and also as something different to the 40+ times at the other main resorts. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions.

1. Drive time from Caulfield/ inner sth east. 3 hours? seems similar distance to Buller

2. A good place to get ski hire/ chains? It doesn't seem like there is much vertical at Baw Baw so am after some nice edges to spend the day practising my technique at the same time

3. Are there any nice bakeries on the way up? esp. if they do decent pies!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

surferchris

Hard Yards
Apr 30, 2009
Mate Im a Buller regular, your better off taking her to Baw Baw then Buller especially if your going tomorrow.
Buller is always packed weekends and you be more worried about someone taking her out.

Buller is 3.5 hours to the horse hill car park from Melbourne driving pretty much on the speed limits.

Aint been to Baw Baw since high school trip but its a beginners mount or a good day trip to burn the cobwebs out u legs.

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
severz22 said:
Hi, I'm thinking of heading to Baw Baw tomorrow (Sunday 8th Aug) to teach the GF to ski and also as something different to the 40+ times at the other main resorts. I was wondering if anyone could help me with a few questions.

1. Drive time from Caulfield/ inner sth east. 3 hours? seems similar distance to Buller

2. A good place to get ski hire/ chains? It doesn't seem like there is much vertical at Baw Baw so am after some nice edges to spend the day practising my technique at the same time

3. Are there any nice bakeries on the way up? esp. if they do decent pies!

Any thoughts would be much appreciated

1. From inner SE, should be 2 to 2.5 hours via Warragul/Noojee. Apparently it's the same via Moe/Erica, according to another poster here. I've driven there from Clayton, and it's well and truly close enough for a comfortable day trip. If you tried to go to Buller you'd be pushing it.

2. Hiring chains... Neerim South or Icy Creek on the way up. Hiring skis... can do that on mountain, if not at the chain hire places. There definitely isn't much vertical at Baw Baw compared to other resorts, but there are plenty of places to perfect technique. Find what suits you best.

3. Haven't got a clue... I'm not much of a pie connisseur
wink.gif

Baw Baw definitely doesn't have the luxury of the other resorts (chairlifts, vertical, fancy restaurants, etc), but it has its own unique charm, and that's why I keep returning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Apresski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Hi Iceman, I've never been to Baw Baw and know very little about it. Is it possible to do an overnight ther and if so where would you suggest?

Hermannator

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2010
The 'Gul
There are several club lodges there, check their website. There's even a bar on the hill so Apres should be taken care of.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Ah yes, never stayed at kellys but if it's good as the food, them I'm sure it's a great place to stay!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
Apresski said:
Hi Iceman, I've never been to Baw Baw and know very little about it. Is it possible to do an overnight ther and if so where would you suggest?

I usually stay at a ski lodge and haven't really sampled all of the accomodation. You might have to do a little bit of research on accomodation and find out which places will let you stay overnight (I'm pretty sure the place I stay at doesn't) There would have to be somewhere you can stay just overnight.

Their website should give you at least some info.

http://www.mountbawbaw.com.au/

Charlie

Still the most depraved poster here
Jun 27, 2002
Gippsland
rolleyes.gif

Of course you can stay overnight just about anywhere on the hill.
A lot of places won't split weekends, understandably, but 1 night midweek (Sunday to Thursday, no probs!

chriscross

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 1, 2005
The Foothills
Cascade apartments, Kelly's cafe has accommodation and so does the Alpine Hotel (with shared type backpacker rooms as well as private). The cabins are also very nice but a bit more expensive. See website.

ice_man

One of Us
Aug 21, 2008
Melbourne
featherplucker said:
Could anyone tell me how long the lift line waits are on a weekend? I'm thinking of hitting baw baw this weekend and want an indicator as to how busy it might be. Cheers.

5 to 10 minutes, if it's real busy.. And one would expect it to be busy this weekend with fresh snow coming.

Claude Cat

On my bike
Ski Pass
Platinum
Jul 6, 2001
Canterbury, Vic
Baw Baw isn't too bad on visibility - you've got lofts of trees for reference points - more of an issue might be trees across the road (looks like it's going to be windy overnight), leaves and branches on the runs.

Baw Baw Bear

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 12, 2003
Melbourne, Baw Baw
Warm comfortable, good food, good drink and despite the BS, a great host as well .Then again seem to remeber many a BS session there !!
smile.gif

priderock

Hard Yards
Aug 11, 2010
Lamb shanks, few ales, toasty fire, and heaps of BS - where else would you spend a night after a day on the slopes.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass