1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Insurance for backcountry skiing

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by Cam Walker, Jan 2, 2019.

1. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

hi all
    yes. I know I ask this every couple of years and yes I have looked at the voluminous threads elsewhere in the forums ...

But I was was wondering if anyone had quick advice on good insurance for BC skiing (for self organised trips in North America?)

It seems that quite a few companies have recently narrowed the definition of backcountry (only on 'formed XC trails') or now only cover BC with a 'qualified guide'.

Any suggestions?
    Thanks.

2. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

Try ‘insure4less’ they covered a range of theses things when I went to Europe and there were US pricing options (and exclusions).

It may need to be a mountaineering-type package.

Cam Walker likes this.
  3. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

Try AAMI, QBE or BUPA as I have found that anything that has a bunch of skiing clauses is usually expensive and limited in actual skiing coverage. It's like over the last 10yrs insurance companies have added skiing clauses so they can grab an extra fee.

Cam Walker likes this.
  4. Cam Walker

Cam Walker Addicted

thanks for the leads Climberman and Dawooduck.
    I went with AAMI.

Just as an fyi in case people are looking for BC insurance, I got this response from AAMI:

'We can confirm that we will cover you for skiing including any off-piste or back country skiing, whether within a resort or outside under AAMI's travel insurance policy. Cat skiing with a tour operator is also covered. We will not cover any form of competitive, professional, or heli-skiing.

Our travel insurance includes evacuation and medical related expenses. Helicopter evacuation is included in case of emergency.'

skifree, piolet, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  5. nfip

nfip Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I've insured with AAMI past couple of trips, includes one solid claim.
    They have been excellent.
    This part is new to me tho, i always was of belief it was not included . Great news.
    I've topped up and relied on my Spot/GEOS cover for this component in the past fwiw, but still covers me at home so I'm covered here. ...

Tennex likes this.
  6. Tennex

Tennex Hard Yards

Yep I researched his pretty well this trip and went with AAMI

nfip likes this.
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Renormed Ski Pass: Gold

When it came to a claim QBE were arseholes in my case and others have had similar experiences. The tactic is to refuse parts or the whole, forcing you to self-fund or do without and fight for redress later.

8. hpsauce

hpsauce A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Which includes avoiding any branded products that are really QBE. I've got a small home and contents claim on the go that is so straightforward..... but QBE couldnt have been less helpful so far. Straight through to the same subcontinent call centre as Telstra. over and over again....

9. Ar1ce

Ar1ce First Runs

Have a trip booked next month got AAMI insurance before Christmas and confirmation of BC coverage out of resort without a guide via email. But rumour has it they have changed this recently... I emailed again to confirm they say the same thing that I’m covered good enough for me but hearing a lot of reports of new policies and AAMI saying over the phone they won’t cover off piste anymore. Just an FYI... but curious to find out the reason and an official wording change in their PDS then...

LMB and CarveMan like this.
  10. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

I need to get cover and was going to just go with AAMI. Now I’m not so sure, but they were my go to. I can’t believe they had such a large number of bc claimants that they’ve changed policy...

11. Mister Tee on XC Skis

Mister Tee on XC Skis One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Should I go XC skiing abroad, I shall keep AAMI insurance in mind.

12. Budgiesmuggler

Budgiesmuggler A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Note the PDS has changed slightly te heliskiing but still covers off piste and backcountry:

“professional sport (including training for professional sport), hunting, racing of any kind (other than on foot), football of any kind, flying except as a passenger in a scheduled commercial power-driven aircraft, any other aerial activity, rodeo riding, running with the bulls, sailing, mountain or rock climbing using ropes or guides, abseiling, diving using breathing apparatus (if you do not hold an open water diving licence), or competitive snow and ice sports;”

I’ve made two claims - once for trip disruption when a blizzard closed down Narita, the other for a busted ski.

Telemark Phat likes this.
  13. dawooduck

dawooduck relaxed and comfortable Ski Pass: Gold

This was once the standard clause on the majority of travel insurance and then over the years so called "ski insurance" crept in for an extra fee.

They all continue to modify their offerings in search of extra fees.

#13 dawooduck, Jan 20, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Telemark Phat likes this.
  14. PerthBoarder

PerthBoarder Hard Yards Ski Pass: 30 Day

Confirmed with AAMI 2 weeks via that backcountry, off piste with or without a guide is covered. Took a few emails to nail them done to a direct answer but with the email trial I have I have no concerns.

LMB likes this.
  15. PerthBoarder

PerthBoarder Hard Yards Ski Pass: 30 Day

And I specifically asked them yes or no answers for the following;
    - off piste in resort without a guide
    - off piste in resort with guide
    - backcountry, slackcountry, side country with guide
    - backcountry, slackcountry, sidecountry without guide.

Answer was yes to all

LMB likes this.
  16. skinavy

skinavy One of Us

Amazed how relatively straightforward it is to get insurance for backcountry but to get insurance for masters level alpine racing is nearly impossible. The only policy I've found is for FIS races and was $1300 for 3 weeks!!!

17. LMB

Thanks @PerthBoarder
    Yeah, as always, I went with AAMI for me and the boy.

PB has an annual cover that includes high altitude mountain rescue so I’d be surprised if it didn’t cover anything we will do in Niseko. He is just sticking with that.

18. smackies

smackies A Local

Check that your insurance covers the search as well as the rescue part.

I have IHI Global, which is otherwise great for backcountry cover, but won’t cover the searching part.

So I also have AACUK. Very affordable.

19. LMB

Cheers, yeah search is included.
    He has gone with Ripcord. Same insurer we used as a solo trip cover for Kili, but because he has a lot of things lined up this year he went with annual cover this time.