1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

International Poma - the mystery

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Froggy, Jul 7, 2007.

1. Froggy

Froggy First Runs

Since I have been big enough and good enough to ski advanced runs, everytime I have gone up to the snow this lift has been shut! Either technical difficulties or (usually) no snow, amazingly the one time it was open was in 05 but there was no snow at the bottom and none of the maze open so there was no way I was going to go down it. I just hope this season it is open and I get to ski the maze (been shut generally as well - yes I missed the big 04 etc). The one thing which I don't want to do is screw up loading as I haven't caught a poma in donkeys!

2. Jeffo

Jeffo Hard Yards

It opens tomorrow...

With your luck i hope your not there while im there haha

3. Planks & Sticks

Planks & Sticks One of Us

Just don't try to sit on it...

4. Froggy

Froggy First Runs

no i won't sit it on it, I have caught two poma rides in about 6 years lol. I'm more concerned of the self loading of grabbing it and missing getting it between my legs on the way down...

Yeah well in 05 it pissed down with rain the week before I went and washed away the lower slopes a lot of the cover it was ski in ski out until I arrived and they cleared the roads in 1 1/2 days [​IMG]

What's worse is my girlfriend since she's been coming with me (last 2 years) she's never actually been at the snow while it's colder than Adelaide! Add to that she's never seen it snow and only had one overcast day I am starting to wonder are we cursed?

#4 Froggy, Jul 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  5. Bogong

Bogong Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

It is seriously fast, probably the fastest lift of any sort in the country. If you wobble when getting on pomas, it will throw you off, so have a few practice goes on Lakeside Poma first.

It's also my favourite lift, [​IMG]

#5 Bogong, Jul 7, 2007
  6. Bryonski_aka_Bryan

Bryonski_aka_Bryan Hard Yards

second that bogong.... love international heaps of fun and quick too, tho i neerly lost me nuts on a stalled loading back in 05 - i cut some speed on the loading slope tho i managed to keep it together, me mate got a good laugh from it tho bein a snowboarder he found it easy to come a half buggery just before the mid pully but too managed to keep it together, cheaper form of mountain entertainment [​IMG]

#6 Bryonski_aka_Bryan, Jul 7, 2007
  7. Andrew N

Andrew N First Runs

yep definitely go practice on the much slower moving Lakeside if you are unfamiliar - if you are doing a lesson they often take lessons down Lakeside so you may get some enforced practise anyhow.

Yes in 04 the Inter Poma was EPIC - we were getting off it at all sorts of different levels and taking all sorts of unusual runs that don't really exist down through the maze. With over 2m of snow the aqueducts trails were truly amazing - much like they WILL be this year when I am there Aug 11-18 [​IMG]

#7 Andrew N, Jul 7, 2007
  8. Froggy

Froggy First Runs

mmm I don't think catching the poma will be too much of a problem but I fully expect to [auto-censor] it up the first tme. I have been skiing since I was 2 so I cut my teeth on shite poma's and t-bars but these days everything's a chair.

I'm there 26th Aug for the week so I'm hoping for a 2m base this year! [​IMG] Also for the girlfriend she hasn't been with a depth of over 80cm before lol.

#8 Froggy, Jul 7, 2007
  9. beaniebabe1

beaniebabe1 One of Us

Poma on skis = easy

Poma on a board = f'en hard!!!! Have never been able to master them on a board!!!

I would be the mountain entertainment should I try to get up International!!!

10. uNkiE-Tee

uNkiE-Tee First Runs

Think pomas are hard on a board - try the nutcrackers in the club fields in NZ - whoa mumma. They turn you from expert to loser in 2 seconds flat. International is one of the best pomas I have ever been on and the fact that its a bit difficult to master means all the more runs for us who can get up it. Much quicker than summit access as well.

11. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

A couple of things about pomas.....

1. If you are worried about getting it between your legs, or you run into a bit of strife while riding it, PULL DOWN on it with your hand. This unweights you a little, and allows you to reposition your skis.

2. If the poma stops or if you get a "rocket" poma at the start and the poma slow right down (or you catch up to it!!!), press your chest against the pole. This will prevent you from going "under" it or off to the side.

12. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture Moderator

It also allows you to get your goolies out from under the platter if you are a snowboarder [​IMG]

#12 Yardsale, Jul 8, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013
  13. main street

main street Sun Peaks Resident

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#13 main street, Jul 8, 2007
  14. Serial Blogger

Serial Blogger First Runs

Snowboarder, but that's not my problem... thank goodness [​IMG]

#14 Serial Blogger, Jul 8, 2007