Intro to BC?

Discussion in 'Backcountry' started by aframe81, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Dedicated Member

Sincity.

My ski boots are usually 28 with a BSL of 325-330mm

2. aframe81

aframe81 Active Member

What happened CarveMan? Would be nice to know specifics so I know what I might be getting myself into. Hopefully my boots will fit the bindings Fozzie has so I don't have to worry about the trekkers.

3. aframe81

aframe81 Active Member

Could be about spot on according to some of the online guides I just looked at. Will confirm this afternoon when I get home.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  4. Boodwah

Boodwah Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Gold

Trekkers are heavy and a bit of a fiddle but they're fine for intro into BC. I used mine for the kids to avoid costs (but they liked it - so then i was obliged to get proper kid touring-bindings.) I wouldn't take them out along the Razorback tho...
    Best next equipment to get is light weight pin-tech compatible touring boots.
    O r go full tele - you know you want to.

Telemark Phat, skifree and zac150 like this.
  5. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

We were going out on the razorback to federation hut and the stack height of the trekkers just make everything so unstable with all the extra moving parts, plus the inherent inefficiency - the skier had a couple of stacks and pulled a muscle and seriously slowed our progress. We ended up having to camp out on the Razorback, like I said it turned out fine as the weather was OK, it was a cold night but we all were fine, but in weather it could have been a real problem.

6. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

Yaay Mt. Wills!. The hut up there is like palace :) and there are very few people who go there. The Hike up to the Hut from the Tallangatta ski club 'Car park'/ or the Omeo Road is a bit stiff but one imagines on skis the return leg would be very groovy, man.

#56 Mister Tee on snow shoes, Jun 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 28, 2017
  7. aframe81

aframe81 Active Member

Cheers CarveMan. Hopefully Fozzies bindings will fit my boots, if not I'll give the Trekkers a go, but will acknowledge it won' be long before I'm looking to get bindings anyway.

8. CarveMan

CarveMan aussieskier.com
    Moderator Season Pass Gold

If you're doing relatively gradual and consistent ascents they could be OK. It's traverses and short downhills that are the killer.

Definitely go for the Fritschis but if the trekkers are the only option, at least you will get out there and see how much fun it is!

9. SkiMountaineer

SkiMountaineer Active Member

And then you hit a point in time when you need to replace them all. I have put off replacing my boots for two years now, as I simply cannot afford to replace them as well as the skis/bindings/skins/ski crampons (last season), and jacket (this season). I am hoping not to have a catastrophic failure on the boots. That being said, I can't afford to be stuck on the MR with exploded ski boots either. Might have to look at boot replacement this season afterall.

ecowain, Chaeron and Bloke like this.
  10. aframe81

aframe81 Active Member

So Fozzie,

My boots are a 28.5, 326mm BSL so it looks like the bindings should be a go. I'll send you a PM.

Fozzie Bear likes this.
  11. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Gold

@aframe81 the first question is can you ski variable off piste snow? The snow can be perfect in the BC, or it can be so bad you're basically going out for a bush walk on snow.

In NSW the resorts don't have the power to exclude you from moving through their leased or franchised areas, but they do have the power to pull any pass you may own. Victoria is different since the resorts aren't in a NP and I don't know what powers the resorts do or do have in relation to uphill travel.

However by choosing to travel uphill in a ski resort you're putting yourself in a dangerous situation because you're moving around in an unusual way which the other resort users aren't expecting (I've done it in my poor just out of home years and it really freaks the average punter out). The risk is high enough that overseas resorts which allow uphill travel either restrict the time people may skin up the hill and or provide exclusive pathways for uphill travel.

As @CarveMan said friends don't let friends use trekers, they are an even worse way of getting around than snow shoes. Get some frame bindings at least, or simply hire.

Is it just you or the family you're trying to get to the snow? If its just you and you're in NSW try joining the NSW Nordic Ski Club. They do BC trips for beginners so you don't have to put yourself at risk skinning uphill. If its the family have you considered trying Cross Country skiing on the groomed trails? Equipment cost is low, to both hire and purchase and as far as I'm aware there aren't currently trail fees anywhere in Australia (certainly not in NSW).

CarveMan likes this.
  12. aframe81

aframe81 Active Member

Hi @Telemark Phat , it would be just me for the BC adventures, don't fancy taking my 6, 4 or not yet 2 year olds anywhere outside the resort.

I can ski variable terrain/snow and most of my skiing time has been spent out wide off the Eyre t-bar at Perisher (when possible). I haven't skiied for a few years due to a very tight budget with small children in childcare and private school. Now one of the kids is a school it frees up some discretionary funds as, believe it or not, private school is cheaper than part time childcare.

Initially I'm planning on heading out into the resort and using the lifts to get back into things, but once I'm back up to where I was B.C (Before Children) I'm looking to head further afield.

I've seen people skinning through the main fields out of Perisher before, and I think skinning from the centre across to Mt P could easily be done, avoiding the majority of the lifts and runs, but will do some scoping out while I'm down there getting my legs back.

#62 aframe81, Jun 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
  13. ecowain

ecowain Dedicated Member

But the true BC opportunity is a winter ascent of Mt Townsend on or carrying long skinny skis, ascending Hannels Spur, unsupported. It makes the Bradneys trip a walk in a park :)

@Bloke would probably be excited to join you if it was a daytrip.

telecrag and Bloke like this.
  14. BoofHead

BoofHead Dedicated Member
    Season Pass Silver

"Shrouds have no pockets"

climberman likes this.
  15. SkiMountaineer

SkiMountaineer Active Member

I skin up the road to the base of Eyre often for a sunrise ski before breakfast. I have had some of my best skis in Australia the morning after a 48 hr snowstorm, looking out the window at 5 am to see no wind and stars in the sky. Home and hosed by 0720hrs, sipping coffee.

Snow Blowey and Bloke like this.
  16. BoofHead

Season Pass Silver

Used AT gear pops up cheap from time to time. I got my first (well used)setup last year for$280 which included skins. My touring buddy paid more than that for his 4 day rental.
    Saw a pair of skis plus frame bindings on FB the other day for $250.

17. aframe81

aframe81 Active Member

The guy who was going to sell me the trekkers had a set of Skis with AT bindings and skins for $200, but they were much too long for me. Otherwise that would have been what I went with..

18. BoofHead

Season Pass Silver

How long is too long? Not a lot of tight terrain or kill cl turns needed out the back of Guthega

19. BoofHead

Season Pass Silver

Kick turns.
    If the skis are no good they could be remounted. $200 for at bindings and skins is reasonable

Chaeron likes this.
  20. aframe81

aframe81 Active Member

I currently ski 169cm, these are about 185cm, so probably a fair bit too long.

21. Mister Tee on snow shoes

Mister Tee on snow shoes Dedicated Member

I would suggest that if one survives such a mission then the subsequent therapy bills would bankrupt most people :p .I have heard that Hannel's spur in Green season is so tough that it is just wrong. Doing it in white season with a full winter pack would be a week long operation. I am very ill at the moment with a bad winter bug and one would have to be in the best shape of one's life to get out there and do that .What is more scouting it out in green season would be necessary preparation.

ecowain likes this.
  22. Moondog55

Moondog55 Dedicated Member

I really think you meant to say "Nuances" there although I do find new gear a nuisance getting used to it

23. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend
    Season Pass Gold

@aframe81 - Rhythm in Cooma currently have a sale on of ex-rental ski/binding/skins combos, from $350.00

mr and Chaeron like this.
  24. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

Yeah just saw that on facestalk. Some good deals there

25. mr

mr Part of the Furniture
    Season Pass Silver

Better move fast! Full AT rigs n skins $400

26. aframe81

aframe81 Active Member

So many thanks to @Fozzie Bear I now have these:
    [​IMG]

Now to trial mount them to the old set of skis I have laying around in the shed...