Introductory Telemark Instructor Courses

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
There are two Telemark Instructor Courses being conducted at Perisher and Falls Cks this year. These courses are run by the Australian Professional Snowsport Instructors and are recognised internationally.

These level 1 courses are aimed at Telemarkers who might like to Instruct. The course will raise your Telemarking to Instructor level and introduce you to the theory of ski instruction. They are held over two days including assessment. If you can link Telemark turns on groomed blue runs your ready for a Level 1 Telemark Instructor course.

The course cost includes 1 Year Membership with the APSI, The Alpine and Telemark Instruction Manual, the Course and the Assessment.

The courses will be held at:
Perisher on the 23rd & 24th of July
Falls Creek on the 30th and 31st of July

If you have any questions I can answer them either in this thread, PM or by email at telemark@apsi.net.au

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Yay, All booked on the boat. One week at Falls culminating in the course then one week at Hotham to test out my newly honed technique. I hope there are enough willing participants in the Falls course to have it run this year.
Might it be worth putting a thread up in the BC forum as many telewhackers hang out there?

crashin'

Hard Yards
Feb 21, 2001
Castlemaine, VIC
TP

It seems the demand for Level 2 Course is high - I notice they are booked out?

Is there an expectation of having to do Level 1 prior to Level 2? Or if your tele skiing is more advanced jumping straight into Level 2 is fine? Any chance the Level 2 courses will open up or are is there a waiting list already in play?

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
TP

It seems the demand for Level 2 Course is high - I notice they are booked out?

Is there an expectation of having to do Level 1 prior to Level 2? Or if your tele skiing is more advanced jumping straight into Level 2 is fine? Any chance the Level 2 courses will open up or are is there a waiting list already in play?
Hi @crashin'

You need to have a current membership in the APSI to be able to do an APSI course. Unless you're logged in and have a current membership the courses will appear to be sold out.

If we sell out a course it just means organising a second Trainer, the course will still go ahead, so no need to worry about that.

You need to do a Level 1 before you can do a Level 2.

The Level 1 course improves your skiing by explicitly applying the APSI model on how to ski. In effect the course is more about making sure you understand the model than improving your skiing. We train you in the model by improving your skiing. You need that understanding for the Level 2 course.

It is entirely possible to do both courses in the one season though.

Reactions: FatBoyDave

Boodwah

A Local
Ski Pass
Jun 20, 2006
StKilda,VicBC,Prom,France
boodoir.blogspot.com.au
Hi @crashin'

You need to have a current membership in the APSI to be able to do an APSI course. Unless you're logged in and have a current membership the courses will appear to be sold out.

If we sell out a course it just means organising a second Trainer, the course will still go ahead, so no need to worry about that.

You need to do a Level 1 before you can do a Level 2.

The Level 1 course improves your skiing by explicitly applying the APSI model on how to ski. In effect the course is more about making sure you understand the model than improving your skiing. We train you in the model by improving your skiing. You need that understanding for the Level 2 course.

It is entirely possible to do both courses in the one season though.
I'd be interested in doing both. Do you have any dates for the level 2?

Reactions: telecrag

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
As someone who skis like a god anyway, I have done the level one, which made me ski even more goddier, and have booked in for the 2 this season. Do it, it is the best value, even better than anything from ALDI. I have no intention of working as an instructor, though if I want to do the L3 I would have to do a bit, and who knows....

There was no one on our L1 course who didnt gain, and all agreed it was the single best thing we have done for our skiing.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

FatBoyDave

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 3, 2013
Melbourne
Do you get a T-shirt on completion so you can increase your chances of picking up chicks at the bar, or to add to your Tinder profile?
I could be interested at The Falls option. Need to start doing lunges now in preparation though.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Do you get a T-shirt on completion so you can increase your chances of picking up chicks at the bar, or to add to your Tinder profile?
I could be interested at The Falls option. Need to start doing lunges now in preparation though.
I have no desire to pick up chicks. I'm more in the market for a dude actually......

Reactions: telecrag

DagdaMor

Hard Yards
Jul 28, 2008
TP, what would be your suggestion for someone due for a recall on a Level 1, who also did a Level 2 cross over with Tom a few years ago but never took the exam?

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
Hi @Telemark Phat , When do we need to be paid up and registered by for the Falls creek level 1 course? Is there likely to be group accommodation somewhere we can join in on or should I just book in to Howman's Gap for the weekend?

Telemark Phat

Pass the butter
Ski Pass
Jun 21, 2008
Jindabyne
www.telemarkphat.org
@almontyrat group accommodation isn't normally organised for courses. You need to pay 7 days before the course otherwise there is a late fee.

It would be great if you signed up as soon as you can because when you do the course will have the minimum number to run and it's much easier to stop courses which are definitely running.

Reactions: almontyrat

DagdaMor

Hard Yards
Jul 28, 2008
@DagdaMor would you like to do your L2 exam this year?

Tempted. If you're plonking dates in a calendar (exam is still TBC?) late August (18th and on) is bad due to nordic courses. Hopefully in a week or two the tele-technique will be going in the direction I want and I'll have a firmer answer.

almontyrat

One of Us
Ski Pass
Apr 16, 2005
Lachlan, Tasmania
@almontyrat group accommodation isn't normally organised for courses. You need to pay 7 days before the course otherwise there is a late fee.

It would be great if you signed up as soon as you can because when you do the course will have the minimum number to run and it's much easier to stop courses which are definitely running.
Committed!

Untele-whippet

beard stroker
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 2006
Burnt Downs, Blue Mtns, 1100M.
image.jpeg

Homework with canine tutor.

Last edited:
Reactions: Annabuzzy

telecrag

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 12, 2007
I could see it quite clearly in the vids yesterday @tele-whippet, teleho!

Cant wait to get back up and let it rip! Cant recommend the courses highly enough.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass