Question Is anybody skiing US this year, if not, why?

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
Has a few bad years for the little Aussie battler killed off Oz to US ski trips?

Are other factors at play?

Or do they just not come here anymore?

Discuss?

Ajmit321

Hard Yards
Dec 11, 2016
Has a few bad years for the little Aussie battler killed off Oz to US ski trips?

Discuss?

Too expensive . Revelstoke looks way better value than Jackson Hole say .... I think my next trip will be to Revvie due to accessibility and low cost . Canada seems just as good as us , except maybe snow quality ?

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
I am there now. I know heaps of my friends that are going to North America. Trade might have died down a little.

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne

Discuss?
Plenty of Aussies still travelling to the US to ski this year. But you are right in that not many are posting updates and pics etc on ski.com.au this season.

skidiva

Addicted
May 17, 2013
Southern part of Brisbane
I am in aspen now and will be here for 3 months. The exchange rate makes Canada much more appealing - and I just spent 5 weeks in whistler - but i love the aspen ski fields and I love that there are absolutely no crowds and no lift lines. I make sure I don't make any big purchases in the US - such as skis - but I am not going to miss out on a place I love because of the exchange rate. I will make cutbacks in other areas to make sure I can still come here to ski.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
I am in aspen now and will be here for 3 months. The exchange rate makes Canada much more appealing - and I just spent 5 weeks in whistler - but i love the aspen ski fields and I love that there are absolutely no crowds and no lift lines. I make sure I don't make any big purchases in the US - such as skis - but I am not going to miss out on a place I love because of the exchange rate. I will make cutbacks in other areas to make sure I can still come here to ski.
I just landed in Denver. Love the sound of no lift lines :D

Reactions: skidiva

Ajmit321

Hard Yards
Dec 11, 2016

Um I'm jealous . What do you do for a living .. ski instructor , professional assassin ?

Reactions: Apresski

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
I think a lot of people dont go till Mid-end of Jan and onwards.
Anytime before the new year can be risky for conditions, but after you're pretty much guaranteed to get decent conditions.
Decent relative to what is served up in Aus anyway.

Apart from the full ski season I did at Lake Louise, I have never skied Nt America before mid Jan.

Also, why ski the US when you can ski Canada with the dollar at parody instead of losing 30cents to every dollar?
Makes more sense for the younger folks who might be on a much tighter budget than some of the older baby boomers sitting on their nest eggs :p

absentskier

Smug bozo
Ski Pass
Jun 10, 2010
Melbourne
I think a lot of people dont go till Mid-end of Jan and onwards.
Anytime before the new year can be risky for conditions, but after you're pretty much guaranteed to get decent conditions.
Decent relative to what is served up in Aus anyway.

Apart from the full ski season I did at Lake Louise, I have never skied Nt America before mid Jan.

Also, why ski the US when you can ski Canada with the dollar at parody instead of losing 30cents to every dollar?
Makes more sense for the younger folks who might be on a much tighter budget than some of the older baby boomers sitting on their nest eggs :p
The largest segment of the Aussie market in North American ski resorts is families with school aged children. Most of them will head over before mid-Jan to be back for school. We aren't leaving until Jan 11th this year, but other members of our family have been there since before Christmas. I personally know about 6 families skiing in the US this January.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
The largest segment of the Aussie market in North American ski resorts is families with school aged children. Most of them will head over before mid-Jan to be back for school. We aren't leaving until Jan 11th this year, but other members of our family have been there since before Christmas. I personally know about 6 families skiing in the US this January.
That's the segment I fit into. I guess the single adult skier market go to Japan?

bertys

Addicted
Aug 31, 2010
We leave 11th Jan for our 3 weeks in Colorado, with 10&8yr old boys.
CO can still be done very competitively on price with off mountain accom, locals epic pass etc.
Have done Canada and Japan numerous times, but we keep coming back to CO for value for money and shear variety of skiing, inbound steeps and being able to pick best conditions each day.

Reactions: spunk72

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
We leave 11th Jan for our 3 weeks in Colorado, with 10&8yr old boys.
CO can still be done very competitively on price with off mountain accom, locals epic pass etc.
Have done Canada and Japan numerous times, but we keep coming back to CO for value for money and shear variety of skiing, inbound steeps and being able to pick best conditions each day.
Where?

Beerman

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jan 15, 2015
Brisvegas
US not popular this year due to the possibility of running into Trump, he's everywhere. He may have even invited his mate Vladimir over to firm up some business connections and settle a ski resort buyout..........:p

Chowder11

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Oct 21, 2003
Elwood
Thats probably because the just finished school leavers to 35yo singles/doubles without kids, are on a bit more of a financial budget and head to the cheaper options of Canada/Japan.
Id like to get to the US more often, but it just makes more sense to keep going back to BC and Alberta rather than the US at this stage of life.
If the US dollar was 1.20 like it was 5-6 years ago, you probably would find heaps more younger Aussies in the US resorts across the whole season, I would be definitely.

Heinz

Fully vaccinated but nowhere to go
Ski Pass
Oct 14, 2005
Adelaide
I've largely done my time travelling all over the place and ticked off a bunch of places I've wanted to see including several trips to US & Canada and enjoyed them, but these days I've mostly pulled back to places I especially like for different reasons ie. NZ, Austria & Japan and look for variations within.

CarveMan

I Never Slice
Ski Pass
May 12, 2000
Les Hautes Montagnes
aussieskier.com
I was in the US last March and found we spent a lot on lift tickets.

I could have made it cheaper but I wanted the flexibility to decide in the morning where we wanted to ski, and as such we got pretty reamed as that's the opposite of what the resorts want you to do. A Mountain Collective pass would have alleviated quite a bit of this.

It was still worth being able to choose, as I find that many people completely compromise their ski holidays.

skidiva

Addicted
May 17, 2013
Um I'm jealous . What do you do for a living .. ski instructor , professional assassin ?
i retired at 52. Work was interfering with my ski holidays. I have downsized my life and it is wonderful. In business and investing I never do what the masses do or the noisy minority. I only take advice if I know the other person really is smarter than me. Seems to have worked out quite well.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
i retired at 52. Work was interfering with my ski holidays. I have downsized my life and it is wonderful. In business and investing I never do what the masses do or the noisy minority. I only take advice if I know the other person really is smarter than me. Seems to have worked out quite well.
Problem is :emoji_dollar:

skidiva

Addicted
May 17, 2013
Problem is :emoji_dollar:
Sometimes it is not what you earn but how you spend what you earn. I was always a saver even though my ex stole my original savings. I was also pissed off with how our government was spending the tax dollars so I became a self taught tax expert. I am probably the only person who has ever read the entire tax act and all the rulings. I used that knowledge to reduce my tax - legally but it required a lot of advanced planning and knowing the tax act inside out. So that money was the start of my investments. In the end the tax office paid me to consult and paid me to pursue frauds. I also never drove a flash car - I used the money I could have spent on a nice car on investments instead. Later on I got a nice car and a beautiful house - but that was only when I had actually made it. I never relied on others for advice - I taught myself. It can be done - I was a single mother of two children when I started on my quest. When I left my husband I had $50, two children aged 2 years and 9 months - no car and two suitcases of clothes and some second hand furniture and received a total of $1000 in maintenance from my ex from the time my children were 3 and 2 until they finished school. But admittedly - I am smart and very determined and hated being poor. And yes I should write a book. It is an amazing success story - but I am too busy skiing.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
Sometimes it is not what you earn but how you spend what you earn. I was always a saver even though my ex stole my original savings. I was also pissed off with how our government was spending the tax dollars so I became a self taught tax expert. I am probably the only person who has ever read the entire tax act and all the rulings. I used that knowledge to reduce my tax - legally but it required a lot of advanced planning and knowing the tax act inside out. So that money was the start of my investments. In the end the tax office paid me to consult and paid me to pursue frauds. I also never drove a flash car - I used the money I could have spent on a nice car on investments instead. Later on I got a nice car and a beautiful house - but that was only when I had actually made it. I never relied on others for advice - I taught myself. It can be done - I was a single mother of two children when I started on my quest. When I left my husband I had $50, two children aged 2 years and 9 months - no car and two suitcases of clothes and some second hand furniture and received a total of $1000 in maintenance from my ex from the time my children were 3 and 2 until they finished school. But admittedly - I am smart and very determined and hated being poor. And yes I should write a book. It is an amazing success story - but I am too busy skiing.
Or move to the Cayman Islands. Warm and no jet lag ;)

DidSurfNowSki

One of them
Ski Pass
Jan 19, 2014
Canberra, ACT
I was in the US last March and found we spent a lot on lift tickets.

I could have made it cheaper but I wanted the flexibility to decide in the morning where we wanted to ski, and as such we got pretty reamed as that's the opposite of what the resorts want you to do. A Mountain Collective pass would have alleviated quite a bit of this.

It was still worth being able to choose, as I find that many people completely compromise their ski holidays.
I was over there in January. Didn't spent a cent on lift tickets :p

Reactions: dr80 and Normo

Ajmit321

Hard Yards
Dec 11, 2016

Wow. That is pretty amazing and inspirational (even though those words are overused). To be able to go from that position to being able to retire at 52 is pretty cool in my opinion. I wish people who would focus on the 'everyday' heroes rather than the celebrity culture. As a ex lawyer I would say the tax act is allegedly the most complex area of law, so well done .... I'm guessing you are have been trained as an accountant or lawyer, if not that's another achievement.

As I'm single with no kids, I'm tempted to live in NZ and try and ski year around. And I am getting better at saving.... Which is key. It staggers me that my sister earns 100k no kids yet has no savings...

Anyway, enough lawyer verbosity hope the renowned groomers of Aspen are fabulous !

Reactions: ladycamper and LMB

LMB

Old but definitely not Crusty!
Ski Pass
May 6, 2010
Perth
I'd not only read that book - I'd buy a copy. Well done you! Enjoy your skiing - you've earned it :thumbs:

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
So seems like a lot of new trip reports since I asked the question!

Next question, when is the right time to start a trip report. How far out from wheels up?

BillyKidd

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2010

Outstanding.

BillyKidd

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2010
While on the topic however, let's be specific. Putting aside exchange rates what is the most cost effective skiing in North America? Canada, BC interior or Alberta with lower lift costs, smaller hills in UT, WY, MT or NM or a central location with car and lift deal? Package deals into Snowbird or Telluride or Taos for example can be pretty reasonable. Ditto into Silverstar, BW, Kimberley etc. Online ticket deals can be had if you hunt for them and accommodation booked ahead and outside of vacation periods is often competitive. Avoiding Lake Louise, Whistler and Aspen can be useful though you can get deals (though I find these locations now to be less attractive than they once were....not for cost reasons). Alternatively skiing in the East can offer good value provided you select the right location, Lake Placid as an example.

tr+h

One of Us
Jun 19, 2008
Perth,wa
While on the topic however, let's be specific. Putting aside exchange rates what is the most cost effective skiing in North America? Canada, BC interior or Alberta with lower lift costs, smaller hills in UT, WY, MT or NM or a central location with car and lift deal? Package deals into Snowbird or Telluride or Taos for example can be pretty reasonable. Ditto into Silverstar, BW, Kimberley etc. Online ticket deals can be had if you hunt for them and accommodation booked ahead and outside of vacation periods is often competitive. Avoiding Lake Louise, Whistler and Aspen can be useful though you can get deals (though I find these locations now to be less attractive than they once were....not for cost reasons). Alternatively skiing in the East can offer good value provided you select the right location, Lake Placid as an example.
That was mainly my point.

We have already booked to ski Park City next January. Booked 12 nights already. Got a discount on accoms for booking early so is costing our family of 5, A$350 per night. It is helped by also sharing a 4 bedroom with another family so costs them same.

Skiing on epic passes and have avoided public holidays. Wil pick up flights early too. Can cook a lot of our own meals so trip shouldn't be too exie .

Scooter

One of Us
Ski Pass
Mar 1, 2001
Brisbane, QLD, Australia
I'm in the US but with the current FX rate it was a close thing. If the AUD keeps dropping against the USD then I would definitely start questioning the value proposition. My trip isn't quite the norm in that I am here for awhile so some of the big costs (airfares, passes and accommodation etc.) are spread over the longer period and it helps that I am able to get a relatively decent deal on the longer term accommodation thus happy to be here. I reckon if I was doing a more traditional ski trip (like a couple of weeks) I would have been looking at Canada.

Anecdotally - year to date I wouldn't have said many Aussies visited here (Steamboat - CO) however it seems within the last couple of days an Aussie switch has been flicked - yesterday seemed like there was a heap of Aussies at the shops (including one family yelling out between the isles and another with an old timer standing around blocking the isle not once but a couple of times - yes old timer - I did want you to move so I can get past :rolleyes: ) and today I have been hearing Aussie accents everywhere on the hill.

This would seem to support what I would have considered the time period when Aussies chase NH snow - I.e. predominately after the Xmas/New Year period (accepting this can be a popular period for some as well). So younger families maybe Jan (school holidays) and take kids out of the equation Feb and March (some good deals to be had with Flights etc.).

Reactions: BillyKidd

sly_karma

Green Bastard
Ski Pass
Dec 12, 2005
Penticton, BC
There's no definitive answer because everyone has their own take on accoms, lift pricing, travel to resorts etc. A more reasonable question is, why ski the US now while their dollar is so strong? They'll still have skiing down the road when the currency rates are more favourable for Australians. That day might be sooner than you think, Trump says he'll repatriate all the lost American jobs, and he also is willing to enter a trade war with China. Points to currency devaluation.

Reactions: BillyKidd

sli1

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jun 15, 2001
Brisbane
I don't think its as simple as saying the ex rate in Canada is better than the US and therefore it will be a more cost effective trip.
Sli2 and I booked our return flight to LAX on points 12 months ago. We leave Oz in late Jan. We are yet to book anything beyond the LAX return flights and probably won't until the day before we leave. We will rent a car and will visit several resorts over three weeks, generally only committing to 2 nights in advance at a time.

For the last 11 months we had assumed we were heading to Canada because of the ex rate. When I look at Expedia for like for like accommodation, car rental, the price of onward flights to Van or Calgary vs SLC or Denver, the economics actually favour the US for our style of trip. Where it swings back in Canadas' favour is the price of lift tickets. They are outrageous in Colorado so the use of a mountain collective or other ticket deal is required. I'm favouring the US option at this stage because its easier than Canada to cover big distances in the car across to chase different weather patterns. However, if the weather forecast is saying Canada - that's where we go!

skidiva

Addicted
May 17, 2013
I am in aspen at the moment and there are heaps of Aussies here. Talking to some of them they say the same thing I do about coming here - there are no crowds on the slopes - you ski up to a chair and you get straight on - at the most there are 3 groups ahead of you. Plus if you book early you get great rates and can get severely discounted lift tickets through accommodation - but mainly they are here for the terrain - there are 4 mountains here. If you book early you can get great rates that wipe out the exchange rate hit.

Jellybeans

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Aug 24, 2015
Canberra
I am in aspen at the moment and there are heaps of Aussies here. Talking to some of them they say the same thing I do about coming here - there are no crowds on the slopes - you ski up to a chair and you get straight on - at the most there are 3 groups ahead of you. Plus if you book early you get great rates and can get severely discounted lift tickets through accommodation - but mainly they are here for the terrain - there are 4 mountains here. If you book early you can get great rates that wipe out the exchange rate hit.
Yeah you're right about that.

rime noreason

One of Us
Jun 6, 2014
A whiter shade of pale
. A more reasonable question is, why ski the US now while their dollar is so strong?

Because Tahoe

15995208_1431501750206923_5719985679745611625_o.jpg
:D

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass