Is Charlotte Pass weak or strong market?

SilentSki

First Runs
Jul 22, 2006
Central Coast
I just ask a question about Charlotte Pass. Is CP strong market?

I was puzzle how CP can manage the finance very well for many years. Never crush or closed down.

Have any old topic similar like this?
wink.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Have skied/boarded there for eight years but am finding that with the kids that are getting older but still at school the prices getting too expensive. No five day pass with a weeks accomodation like can do at PB or Thredbo. Plus can buy student season pass for kids for same cost as one weeks lift pass at CP, therefore making extra weekends cheaper. Our group of 15 people all feel this way so next year probably PB with the crowds but will save $800. When kids grow up probably come back as I love the place, Cappachinos in the pub for morning tea I will miss

Nebulous

First Runs
May 30, 2006
sydney
i am aiming for CP in september if the spring snow is good...i am pysched...pity about the tows...will have to ski as I cant use tows with snowboard!

Roastie Harry

First Runs
Aug 21, 2001
Nebulous said:
i am aiming for CP in september if the spring snow is good...i am pysched...pity about the tows...will have to ski as I cant use tows with snowboard!
The chair gives access to more than half of the resort.

D-eye

Photographer and skier
Ski Pass
Jan 21, 2001
Canberra
deyephotography.com
Nebulous said:
I will be there from the 8th to the 10th of Sept. I booked the second last room at the Chalet. But there may be a couple more places floating around up there.

Nebulous

First Runs
May 30, 2006
sydney
there is a chair at CP? Yay! I thought it was tow only...serves me right for assuming and not researching! Thanks D'Eye for the heads up. Yay yay yay i am really excited now, my bro is coming too!

wiggle

Hard Yards
Aug 14, 2003
sydney
Cappuccinos at the pub at 11?? Elevenses is when we have our first real drink of the day!
wink.gif

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Nebulous

First Runs
May 30, 2006
sydney
i can ride a tow with skis but i have never made it far on a snowboard. I never know where to put my weight and so forth. Never had a lesson snowboarding either. Skis its a breeze...actually quite nice.

Triple B

One of Us
May 18, 2001
West Hoxton, Sydney
Learn to ride a T ya plonker. The T accesses the best terrain there.
Whilst I don't disagree with your sentiment, he should learn to ride a T, the top of the T can be easily accessed from the chair, so the 'best' terrain you speak of can be accessed from the chair, although once you are there, the chair is admittedly no longer an option.

This best terrain is Guthries I presume?

PS. Nebulous, once you go to Guthires or ski that lovely little bowl between Guthries and the T, the chair is no longer an option so get a lesson on how to ride T's and if Guthries is open, definately get a lesson so you can ride the Guthries poma, you'll kick yourself if you don't.

schnaxl

First Runs
Aug 24, 2005
Sydney
CP is closing on the October long weekend and won't be open for the next school holidays- ie, no lifts and Chalet will be closed.

schnaxl

First Runs
Aug 24, 2005
Sydney
only the lodges are open then - we had a great few days there at Easter - it snowed heavily the week before Easter and there were lots of snow patches around (about the same as now I guess!)
Chalet is closed from end September till July. Stillwell Lodge, which is commercial is open most of the year, I think.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
Village closing 24/9,not long weekend.Village now has denied lodges of 3 weeks trade 2 weeks at the start and 1 week at the end.Why they just don't put up closed for the season i have no idea.I don't think they want to make money despite us having the most snow.Leny please sell out

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
Also would like to know why village management refuse to open lifts despite muched improved snow cover.Other resorts strive to open lifts while here they strive to keep them closed.Please open chair to top at least for the advanced riders and you might sell some tickets.Stop coming out with excuses and start providing a service or reduce your lift price to a third as that is all you have open.Stop jerking people off Cp

wiggle

Hard Yards
Aug 14, 2003
sydney
Sago, the village closes early because CPV management feel that it is not in their economic interests to stay open till the long weekend. It's mostly chook-footers who ski that late in the season, and they don't buy lift tickets.
As you say, Lenny is a cheapskate. The more lifts open, the more lifties he has to pay. As for the chair, there may not be enough snow to use the back or front trails, so skiers who aren't up to using the first few chutes would struggle. You generally need a base of about 1 metre to open Guthries. The problem is not getting down, but getting up! With the snow-makers applied to the bottom, you can get away with less snow.
I don't think anyone will buy CPV until the lease issue has been resolved. It has been for sale for years, but the price is prohibitive.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
Congrats chair now open.As to closing village early they are denying the lodges of a source of income.Yes they do get more chook footers but only mainly to 2 lodges.I also think charging full lift rates don't help their cause.As we all know there is only about 3 hours good skiingin late spring.Its about competion.Lodges reduce their prices what about the lift companies

schnaxl

First Runs
Aug 24, 2005
Sydney
thanks Sago for letting us know that CP is closing earlier (24/9) - I have had to change our booking , but we will be chook footing (as you so delicately put it) anyway.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
Have no prob with chook footers i have a pair.They still pay for food and acc.It's just that CP hates them.No lifts, no hire ,no lesson's and no transport

schnaxl

First Runs
Aug 24, 2005
Sydney
I haven't chook footed for 20 years,(I have been downhilling at PB since the days of leather boots) but my partner has equipped himself with all the latest gear.
Even if there isn't much snow, CP is I think the most beautiful of the alpine resorts. It is just a pity that it is run in such a miserly fashion.

BrockF

Hard Yards
May 24, 2006
Sydney
Even if there isn't much snow, CP is I think the most beautiful of the alpine resorts. It is just a pity that it is run in such a miserly fashion.
!!! Totally agree

churchy

One of Us
Apr 9, 2004
i can't remember who said it, but i reckon the way to go would be to build a cut and cover ski tube line underneath the existing roadway from PB to charlotte and then PB should buy the resort. It would give them a reason to charge $91 a day for tickets and kick them past the 60 lift mark. it would then be run as just another part of the resort, much like the cow and smigs.

SilentSki

First Runs
Jul 22, 2006
Central Coast
churchy said:
i can't remember who said it, but i reckon the way to go would be to build a cut and cover ski tube line underneath the existing roadway from PB to charlotte and then PB should buy the resort. It would give them a reason to charge $91 a day for tickets and kick them past the 60 lift mark. it would then be run as just another part of the resort, much like the cow and smigs.
I agree with churchy but I heard from gossip that CP is the most windy than any ski resorts in OZ.
eek.gif

wiggle

Hard Yards
Aug 14, 2003
sydney
Can't agree, Churchy. The beauty of Charlotte Pass is the lack of people. Opening it up would ruin it. Also, there isn't a snowball's chance in hell the the NPWS would allow it.
Paying ridiculously high lift prices is the concession that we make to ski uncrowded slopes.
I also agree with Sago about prices. For years the lodges have been asking Lenny to reduce lift prices at each end of the season. No go.
And Schnaxl, it is the most beautiful of the resorts, partly because of its isolation. Hope I didn't offend by using the term 'chook-footers' - not a derogatory term.
wink.gif

schnaxl

First Runs
Aug 24, 2005
Sydney
No offence taken - although you wouldn't want to use that term at my club (hint: the large one next to the Chalet) - some of the old timers would probably bbq you...and then go out chook footing.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
It is more relevant this season than any to reduce prices.Can't afford to loose the current customers we have.This applies to all resorts.Show some direction make Sept memeorable rather than forgetable.Lodges have attractive prices resorts please follow suit.

wiggle

Hard Yards
Aug 14, 2003
sydney
Sago, I agree with you 100%, but Lenny is the one you have to convince. The rest of the valley has been trying to lead him down that track for years. Good luck.

wiggle

Hard Yards
Aug 14, 2003
sydney
Schnaxl, I know your club well. I am with the auld enemy, but no hard feelings.
smile.gif

schnaxl

First Runs
Aug 24, 2005
Sydney
I have actually stayed at your club as well - in PB and Thredbo. Tomorrow we are off to PB and to CP in September - good bushwalking by then, I reckon!
No offence taken...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass