Is Charlotte's to risky to book ahead?

maps

Hard Yards
Jul 18, 2007
We went last year, and for all the annoying little things it was still a great week and we booked again this year for a few weeks time.

Because you have to essentially book and pay ahead and once there you have no other option, this seasons poor start presents an interesting problem.

No question this year it has the least of any terrain open of any resort on the mainland, notwithstanding they are clearly trying.

So we have a scenario where the family could have plenty of fun at say Perisher or Thredbo or even Selwyn (basically anywhere else) but instead we will be stuck with nowhere to go, skiing on the little carpet, having paid handsomely for it.

Travelling past Perisher which has an amazing amount of terrain open then arriving at Charlotte's could be quite contrasting and for me at least, begs the question - do you think Charlotte's lack of infrastructure and pre-paying everything and no other options make it a too risky prospect in the modern ski industry compared to other options?

I'm not anti-Charlotte's at all, it just made me think about the stark contrasts between it and other resorts right now.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
There should be plenty of snow by the time you get there. Worst case would be to catch the oversnow to PB and ski there. My rule of thimb, never book for skiing before the second week in July; after that it is generally safe.

maps

Hard Yards
Jul 18, 2007
I actually asked them if you could buy a day tripper back to Perisher, they said no. They said you would have to pay $75 each way per adult and $55 each way per child. Expensive day that would be.

It was that sort of unhelpful thought from the village people that made me think about the original question.

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Although Charlottes might not like it u can always organise Hans Oversnow to pick u up (does the trip in 15 minutes)

Cost last year was $200 each way for a snow cat that holds ten people ($20 bucks ea)$40 for return trip just a bit dearer than the tube really

I don't know what vehicles they use if the roads open and they can have issues with CPV allowing them in, but in saying that they rescue CPV all the time when CPV's oversnow falters, so might be worth sussing when your down there.

I wouldn't go shouting this from the rooftops just quietly organise if u need to

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
Transport currently free for pre paid packages otherwise $25 (return)once you are in the resort.The big lesson here is that a lot of people will never buy pre paid packages in the 1st few weeks of the season until the snowmaking infrastructure is put in place.
The free transport will change once further lifts will open.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
Also be aware that if you change your tranport times after you have booking it will incur a $5 fee per person non negotiable.So make sure you arrive on time and book early if you want to get the early tranport out.

maps

Hard Yards
Jul 18, 2007
So you can go to Perisher as much as you like for just the cost of another lift ticket? Thats good.

Must have been a last minute decision as they told me the opposite a few weeks ago, caught a bit off guard probably.

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
Decision on the run perhaps.
Village has no choice at the moment with limited skiing available.
Smart move to get numbers out of the village to ease congestion on basin poma which is experiencing 20minute waits.

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Sago said:
Decision on the run perhaps.
Village has no choice at the moment with limited skiing available.
Smart move to get numbers out of the village to ease congestion on basin poma which is experiencing 20minute waits.

Thats a good decision from management, lets hope they make they make more of them as time and seasons pass. It shows they r trying to be helpful and saving face without refunding peoples package money

I just wish on the packages that u could get in early enough to use the first & last "free" day because without that u may as well just go day by day in case the season is not good

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
The five day is a good package however the village isn't flexable on the arrival and depatrure day.
ie;You can't arrive late Sat(Sun) and depart early Sat(Sun) the next week and ski Sunday through Friday as they do not allow this so you are better of just booking your arrival and departure and buy day tickets and if you get bad weather or snow you don't ski those day's.
Not many get the true value of the 8 day package beacuse of the transport time's both ski tube and CPV oversnow limit this.

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
Sago said:
The five day is a good package however the village isn't flexable on the arrival and depatrure day.

Yep, they are idiots with this. The 5 day package is tailored to the Chalet, and stuff you if you don't have the samm changover days. Last year I wanted to buy 2 x 5 day passes at a number of private lessons; would have probably been close to $1k, but their inflexibility meant only 1 private lesson and 3 day passes were purchased. They lost a lot of $$$$ because of their inflexibility. This year I recon I'll be doing a lot of AT skiing, so even less for them. Idiots

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
I do find it strange that people are willing to give money to you but the resort is not willing to take it.It shouldn't matter what day you arrive whether it a Sat,Sun,Wed if they want a 3,5 or 8 day package, I would sell what ever the customer wants and are willing to pay for.I heard that a family of 5(last week) wanted to but a 5 day package as they couldn't make it in Sat but village wouldn't sell it to them unless thay left on the Friday.The family wanted to leave on Sat so bought no package at all.Lucky as it worked out that they didn't beacuse of the lack of snow no tickets were bought at all.This person said it saved them over $2500.They paid the $25 reutrn to Persiher and bought day tickets there instead.

Nidecker

A Local
Ski Pass
Aug 5, 2009
Alpine the dark side of snowboarding
Sago said:
I do find it strange that people are willing to give money to you but the resort is not willing to take it.It shouldn't matter what day you arrive whether it a Sat,Sun,Wed if they want a 3,5 or 8 day package, I would sell what ever the customer wants and are willing to pay for.I heard that a family of 5(last week) wanted to but a 5 day package as they couldn't make it in Sat but village wouldn't sell it to them unless thay left on the Friday.The family wanted to leave on Sat so bought no package at all.Lucky as it worked out that they didn't beacuse of the lack of snow no tickets were bought at all.This person said it saved them over $2500.They paid the $25 reutrn to Persiher and bought day tickets there instead.

Similar thing happened in our lodge last year, a group of 4 pax maybe more, couldn't fit with the resort packages, so they elected for day passes, because of bad weather, and a bit of AT, they ended up buying either of one or two days out of the seven they were there?
I can't for the life of me figure out the resorts reluctance on this issue, you'd think that by being more flexible with this, they would even the load on the o/snow transport to some extent?

edit: how are ya Bob, we are booked to return Aug 14th :)

Tree Breaker Bob

One of Us
Jul 19, 2006
Dalmeny South Coast NSW
Looks like we will be seeing u as the 14th is also our starting date, just look for yellow oversnow that saves us walking up that slope

Snow permitting of course but I think that snow is finally on the way

I wonder if Taxman is in the week before, after all backloads may be very cheap and they run on time, that is whatever time u nominate

Angus_McCrory

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Oct 22, 2005
Lurking
Skiing Thredbo first week in August and then Charlottes for a week from 28 August (and Buller for a couple of days somewhere in between). Thredbo will be fine due to the snowmaking; hopefully Mother Nature will have provided heaps of the natural stuff by then.

shadow1

Hard Yards
Apr 23, 2008
It is risky to book ahead before the start of August unless there is at least a 75 cm base due CP's lack of snowmaking

Sago

Hard Yards
Ski Pass
Jun 29, 2001
Corunna Lake. NSW
Hi Shadow 1.
Have heard that some lodges will advise guest's for the first 3 -4 weeks of the season not to book packages as it is to risky without the snowmaking.last 2 weeks of July you are probably safe in a average year.
Personally I don't like to be locked in,ie get transport in then decide on the day if you buy a ticket or not.May work out more expensive but won't be concerned because you won't mind forking out the cash if the snow has arrived and lifts are open.

maps

Hard Yards
Jul 18, 2007
Just wondering do they ever make snow anywhere except the carpet?

It seems like they made a large effort early on but now not so much. Maybe the cams are deceptive but it looks like if they made a bit of effort the T could be open after just a bit of natural fall on top of a bit of snowmaking.

Ian

One of Us
Ski Pass
Oct 2, 2002
Queanbeyan
It is risky, but if you pay up early they give you a 20% discount. I'ts CP's 'insurance' premium paid to me to offset poor seasons like 2006 and 2010. In a big year like 2009 it was very good and I consider the 18% discount 'insurance' carried over to this year.

In my case the poor seasons haven't been an impediment to my kids having a great time, that won't always be the case though. Even so, for my specific circumstances, CP has the best unique selling proposition:

Family Ski Club Lodge atmosphere and familiarity...
Kids have good friends there...
Effortless holiday for my not skiing-obsessed wife...
Close to day trips in the back country, you can day trip to Watsons Creek in the afternoon and be back for a cold beer by the open fire and no-one would know...
Ski-in Ski-out...
Attractive resort, would be so much better if we could inject $3,500 annual bed tax back into infrastructure improvements...

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass