1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Is 'Gaijin' a racist descriptor?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by TOFF, Mar 2, 2020.

1. Sage Oya

Sage Oya Like the herb, lover of Pabst, cup ramen devotee Ski Pass: Gold

It’s not that it demeans a particular race imo, rather it supports the ideology that you’re either Japanese or you’re alien/foreign/don’t belong.

piolet and Dumphfish like this.
  2. Ramenman

Ramenman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

If you are a foreigner, you can use it. I think almost nobody is offended (and actually, many foreigners like calling themselves Gaijin). If your Japanese friends call you Gaijin, in many cases, it's just because the Japanese friends think you are very close friends for them (no intention to offend you at all). If Japanese people (not your friends) suddenly call you Gaijin face to face (I have never seen / experienced the case, though), there are two cases. One : The Japanese people don't know Gaijin is not a politically correct word and it can offend foreigners. Two : They hate foreigners.

In most cases (in my experience), the word Gaijin is not used to offend foreigners. And, it's not a word that foreigners need to be careful but a word that Japanese people need to be careful. If you are foreigner, I think you can call yourself Gaijin, but it might baffle some Japanese people who were taught "Don't call foreigners Gaijin" and it might make you sound a bit "less sophisticated"

essjaywhy, fennekeg and Sage Oya like this.
  3. Doonks

Doonks Let's cook! Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

No they're not, they're just very insulting, of whoever is called them

Lucky Pete likes this.
  4. Doonks

Agree. Not a racial descriptor, just a term that connotates a general inferiority of anyone non Japanese

LMB and Sage Oya like this.
  5. Doonks

The same goes when people scream racism at being referred to as Moslem in a derogatory way. That's not racism in the slightest. If anything, it's religionism, if that's even a thing.

6. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Is it surprising that they use the term 'gaijin' at the end of the day? After all,
    • They have seldom (if ever) been invaded
    • Only 2% of the population is 'gaijin' - presumuably due to
    • Low immigration

7. Ramenman

Foreign workers have been increasing quite rapidly in the last 5 years or so. I sometimes visit Mito city (= the capital city of Ibaraki prefecture). Ibaraki prefecture is the least touristic prefecture of Japan's 47 prefectures, and foreigners there = not tourists but workers. I can sense the big surge whenever I go there. But no wonder, Japanese people keep working up to 65 years old on average (some a lot longer, though), and 65 years ago, the number of new born babies were about 2.2 millions. The number of the Japanese people who turned 20 years old this ear is only 1.2 million. So, in recent years, Japan lost about 1 million Japanese workers per year. So, in the last 5 years, Japan have lost nearly 6 million Japanese workers. Japan needs more workers from abroad.

essjaywhy, skifree and Hermannator like this.
  8. Any

Any One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

+1

I call myself gaijin all the time, daily even. mostly as a bit of fun. including baka gaijin when I **** something up like a dumb tourist would do.
    if a Japanese joined in in a fun context it'd be easy.
    unfortunately the Japanese don't seem to get sarcasm at all, and the Aussie/NZ way of insulting your friends is very unique compared to the rest of the world. so I don't see this happening unless real good friends with one that has learned to do so.
    but if anyone called me Gaijin in the wrong tone i'd be pretty pissed off.

actually this same recipe could be used for any word, in any language or even a made up word.

blowfin, fennekeg, Saski and 4 others like this.
  9. Hermannator

Hermannator One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ageing population, low birth rates, 8 million abandoned homes... something has to give.

Ramenman likes this.
  10. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I know someone who grew up being called a wog at school in the 70's, then at work in the 80's and 90's - including being told that they couldn't do certain types of work as it wouldn't be accepted by the public. They're still dealing with how it affected them over those years. Even though they were born a couple of km from where I'm sitting they consider themselves "foreign" and not "Australian" because that is how they were made to feel.

They may call themselves a wog, but it hasn't lost its power.

piolet likes this.
  11. Greysrigging

Greysrigging One of Us

When I was a young bloke the local younger 'wogs' called us WASP Aussies 'skip' ( referring to skippy the bush kangaroo ) as in "call me a wog again skip and I'll punch ya lights out....."

12. expatgm

expatgm Addicted

Charity starts at home. Here you go.

13. Greysrigging

Greysrigging One of Us

Having worked with many Japanese men and women on large LNG Projects in Australia, I never heard the term 'Gaijin' used. These blokes and sheilas were way too polite to do so in mixed ( racial ) company, unlike Aussies, Kiwis and Yanks who used words like Nips and Japs, even 'rice niggers' ( southern Yanks usually ) in general conversation among themselves of course, not in the company of English speaking Japanese people, but would do so casually without thought.
    Now I suspect among themselves Japanese folk us the term 'Gaijin' just as casually without thought of offence or otherwise.
    One of the Aussie women on our crew had lived in Japan for many years, had studied Japanese language at Uni and she horrified some of the Kawasaki engineers when she let on she spoke, read and understood the language fluently......
    My son does something similar.... he lived in Thailand for 5 years and picked up the lingo.... he had a Thai girlfriend, watched Thai TV and found he had a gift for learning the lingo..... so here in Darwin, we go to the Markets for a feed of Thai..... he always orders in English, then listens to the stall owners insulting us among themselves ( mildly haha ) in Thai, then thanks them and pays in fluent Thai.... freaks them out lol !

fennekeg likes this.
  14. chrisj

chrisj A Local Ski Pass: Gold

The correct term for that is Pom.

piolet and Sandy like this.
  15. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

Is calling an Englishman a pom racist ?

16. Doonks

Pohm is the correct original racial slur

Prisoner of His/Her Majesty

17. Nozawaman

Nozawaman A Local

So whingeing pom is bad also ?

18. chrisj

chrisj A Local Ski Pass: Gold

I dunno. "Dry as a Pommy's towel." does have certain pejorative connotations.

19. Harper11

Harper11 Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

They can start taking refugees

20. Ramenman

Definition and connotation of a word can change as time goes by. I think Gaijin is a good example. I guess Gaijin used to be a bit more "aggressive / offensive / insulting" word before than now. Parents and teachers told children "You must not call foreigners Gaijin, it's rude and insulting, so call them Gaikokujin". But, more and more foreigners are coming to Japan and it looks like they rather like calling themselves "Gaijin", which baffles Japanese people and they think "it's okay for me to call them Gaijin?". But they still feel "strange (or guilty)" to call foreigners Gaijin. Then, a weird thing is happening now. I mean, some Japanese call foreigners "Gaijin-san". Name - san is very polite. So, some Japanese people add -san to Gaijin to make it sound nicer. That said, I think it's still a politically incorrect word for Japanese people to use. It's okay for foreigners to call themselves Gaijin, though.

Hyst, Lucky Pete, nezumi and 2 others like this.