1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Is hiring ski clothes cheaper? Hakuba

Discussion in 'Japan' started by Jesse Tillman, Sep 1, 2019.

1. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Hi folks

Heading to Japan for the first time skiiing just a few days in February. About to spend $400 on jacket pants gloves and goggles while on sale for husband and thought I’d ask is it cheaper hire gear for him there? He is a solid 6 foot 3 also in case it matters.
    Is there anything in particular we SHOULD take? I’ve been skiing here plenty and have my clothing so that’s fine. We will have to hire boots and skis (or he wants to snowboard) over there

Thank you

2. teckel

teckel Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Make sure you factor in that he'll re-use them on return to Australia.

3. chicski

chicski A Local Ski Pass: Gold

At his size, he may have trouble hiring clothes anyway. Buy, assuming he will use again. If not, got any friends that might lend?

Get thermals. I prefer merino.

Jesse Tillman likes this.
  4. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

He won’t use them in Australia. We are in far north qld and it’s cheaper to go to Japan. He will use them again in japan or NZ por ably every couple of years (if that) so not sure if it’s worth it if it’s substantially cheaper to hire

5. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Thanks. Well he won’t use back here and we will likely only go back to Japan (or try NZ) every few years if that. We live in Far North QLD so no no snow gear here or anyone we know unfortunately. And he is bigger then them all anyways lol. Oh will def get thermals thanks

6. Donzah

Donzah Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

7. Donzah

8. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

With the cheap good quality snow clothing now available at Aldi and Anaconda and the like it makes little sense to hire gear in my view.

9. Donzah

Yeah I agree with that... you can buy some of it online as well (as they are in FNQ)

qwill likes this.
  10. chicski

Well the clothes won’t go off! I’d still buy online before you go. Worst case, he hates it and you sell the gear on eBay. Probably still ahead $$

11. Donzah

Join one of the snowtrader FB groups. There is always tonnes of gear going on there

12. Annabuzzy

Annabuzzy Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Definitely buy.

It’s unfortunate timing wise you’ll miss out on the Annual Aldi sale, but Aldi isn’t the be all and end all of good quality inexpensive ski wear.

13. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Living in FNQ limits your opportunities to try before buy used unfortunately. If you plan on being in Bris before you go, PM me. I’m 6’3” and have a heap of stuff.

I’m a Gumtree fanboi; just had a look at GT ski gear in CairnsTownsville. Not a lot of stuff available. As always, heaps of stuff in Brisbane.

14. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

On the very first trip I did to Niseko the plane had a layover in Cairns. My travel companions couldn't believe I left it until then to drop into the 'Australian Made' store or whatever it's called to purchase merino thermals. (I had packed poly-prop, but decided I wanted wool instead). Anyway, those cream-coloured-thermals are now about 12 seasons old and have done many tours of duty, they are bullet-proof. And truly Australian made :D

#14 ponyrider, Sep 1, 2019
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2019
  15. teckel

Wood thermals! That's a new one on me! ;)

currawong and ponyrider like this.
  16. chicski

Don’t sit too close to the fire ;)

ponyrider and skifree like this.
  17. teckel

Certainly a good way of getting warm.

18. chicski

Flaming oath!

teckel likes this.
  19. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

Hakuba? Oh well...

20. Lucky Pete

Lucky Pete One of Us

Buy Gortex, look after it and you will have it many years. Base, mid and (Gortex) shells.

21. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

From a multi use perspective, shell jackets rather than insulated clobber can be used in Oz outside of snow season. I will sometimes wear my shell jacket during the rainy season. I’ve used the jacket in the pic multiple times skiing in Japan and NZ and hiking in Peru. Throughout the year I keep it in my Ute just in case it rains. 400grams and packs down into its own pocket. Cost about $100 at Anaconda on sale.

22. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Still undecided hence why nothing is booked (anywhere) Unfortunately not just up to me but that’s where husband is leaning and being more popular I figured more people might know. I went through with husband as I mentioned and he is still debating. He’s looking at all the accomodation and everything else both places and it’s more for him then me. He works away with no data or reception for long periods so it’s a saga getting organised. I’ve got all your links and info and still appreciate it all! Just he has to help decide

23. Jesse Tillman

Jesse Tillman Early Days

Yep this is Anaconda gear I’m looking at. No Aldi within 2 days drive of here all or I would have bought it all at their sale

24. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Being a bigger man he may not have found it fitted anyway. Try second hand. Lots of people offload good gear on eBay or gumtree. I’ll be getting rid of a heap of stuff in a few weeks myself. Don’t think I’ll have anything to suit but will bear you in mind when I’m going through the boxes and culling.

However the gloves and goggles you will have to buy regardless - most of the places don’t rent them.

And I’d seriously consider a helmet and wrist guards (may be able to hire them), especially if snowboarding as he will fall a lot, and a tall tree hits the ground harder when it’s felled!

25. Paradox

Paradox Addicted

Definitely buy before you go if you can. I've hired clothes in Japan due to delayed luggage and its expensive and a pain. Stick with hiring boots, board and helmet.

Pants and Jackets are not that big of a deal, provided you have good layering options and they fit, you really don't need to be spending a fortune for a first trip. I also highly recommend a shell jacket with some thermal layer options underneath that you can add/remove to control your comfort. I have bought cheap gear off Gumtree for the kids from a lady at Manly in Qld. If you search for snow gear you will see her. She buys in bulk from China and sells out of a house, she has a huge range and I am sure that if you contact her and give sizing she could probably mail to you. PM me if you want more details.

Quality gloves and goggles are the most important imo and definitely the area I would spend money first. Cold/wet hands and not being able to see well can make the difference between enjoying a day or heading in early for an onsen.

I highly recommend these for massive quality at an excellent price: https://www.freethepowder.com/collections/gloves measure your hand how they tell you and you can get the sizing right no problem.

Goggles are harder as I reckon the quality and price are generally linear and cheap options are just that. If you think this might become regular it may be better to bite the bullet and buy quality now. My only comment is that for Japan, either get a pair with changable lenses or go for lower light versions as Japan is often low vis. I personally bought Airbrakes and love them, but I am sure there are many good options.