1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Opinion Is Hyperdia difficult to use?

Discussion in 'Japan' started by M_G, Jun 23, 2017.

?

Is Hyperdia difficult to look up and use?

Poll closed Jul 14, 2017.
  1. No, super easy

20 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. A bit difficult

4 vote(s)
    13.8%
  3. I can't think and breathe at the same time

2 vote(s)
    6.9%
  4. No, but I just can't be arsed

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Huh, never heard of it?

3 vote(s)
    10.3%
  1. M_G

M_G M_G_ = Make skiing great again Ski Pass: Gold

2. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

If you want my opinion, I have found it tedious when you have a tedious phone-internet connection.

That means, when you depend on it working when you are on the platform and it doesn't, I've had to rely on previously downloaded screen captures of timetables to have alternatives. And on the trains, tunnels are the worst. If you download a timetable, it should stay in the phone's memory for at least a day or so.

It baffles me with all the tech that has gone into the server side, if you cannot connect to it live, you're screwed.

M_G likes this.
  3. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I've always found Hyperdia super easy to use. It is one of the important sites I use for planing my Japan trips. It covers JR lines, private railways and flights even, transfer times, costs, platform details, reserved/nor-reserved etc. Just need to understand that the seat fee is actually an express surcharge and you need to know the actual station names. Before a trip I will check out various connections on Hyperdia and note them in a spreadsheet so it is all on hand.

Born2skii and M_G like this.
  4. Heinz

as for your exchange with afore mentioned dude - what a ********, there are some people you simply just can't help. If they can't figure out a simple website such as Hyperdia they shouldn't be travelling at all.

#4 Heinz, Jun 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
    Froff Life, Vermillion and M_G like this.
  5. Dave6

Dave6 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

6. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

This.

M_G likes this.
  7. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

The most confusing part about Hyperdia is it doesnt really show the full fare in plain view in larger print. i always forget about special shinkansen fees etc. But apart from that, no its not difficult!

M_G likes this.
  8. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

And also, from my time working in lodges in Japan, a lot of people are just dickheads.

I had someone ask me why there was only japanese food available in Hakuba? Our kids dont like japanese food.

Probably should have thought that one through before bringing them to Japan...

Pelm1, M_G, PMG and 2 others like this.
  9. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I find Hyperdia easy to use but there are a few point to look out for:
    - On a smartphone, you need to type PART of the destination only and wait for the list of suggested destinations. If you let your smartphone suggest the destination, it seems to add a space and Hyperdia doesn't find your destination
    - Sometimes, there is a hyphen, where you don't expect one. e.g. Shintakashima = Shin-Takashima.
    - The "seat fee" / "Reserved seat" mistake is still there. it's not "seat fee" / "Reserved seat", it "express supplement fee"
    - Total fee: Look at the top of each route and the total fee is to the left of the orange box.
    - Sometimes, if you want to see route options, it will miss some out and list just the fastest ones, not the cheapest. You can force it to select a route by including "Pass1", "Pass2", etc.

Froff Life, M_G and Draizuh like this.
  10. Beerman

Beerman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

The Japanese public transport runs so often, you don't need Hyperdia :)

M_G and Crispy013 like this.
  11. Sandy

Sandy Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I use it all the time. I can calculate when I need to leave to meet someone, work out my quickest route, or cheapest. Or use daily multi tickets, to reduce the price. So in that way, I need it.
    Typical route: Minatomirai line, Tokyu Toyoko line, JR Yamanote, JR Chuo. Then Tozai Metro line, Ginza Metro, JR Keihin Tohoku. ;)

M_G likes this.
  12. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

I once used it to get to Narita as cheap as possible. i think there was atleast 4 changes, but it cost us less than 1000 yen (which we paid for in our remaining change!)

M_G and Sandy like this.
  13. M_G

Same. After checking Hyperdia I just jot down the various connections on a piece of paper and leave it in my top pocket. I took some young guys to task at Haneda one night because they were hassling an attendant about how to get Tokyo. Fellers, you didn't think you should look this up before you arrive? Or did you stupidly think everyone would speak English here? Yes, I have a long standing low tolerance for this kind of BS.

Whoah, well done!

I wasn't talking to a bloke standing on a platform in Japan. He was sitting at his desk in Sydney. He simply couldn't be arsed looking.

Face palm time...

Pretty much.

JoeKing likes this.
  14. M_G

I was seriously tempted to tell him, "No worries. As long as you get to Nagano by midnight the last train leaves at 12.11am." Just leave him there stranded. LOL.

I'm heading back to Japan in 12 days. Knew it would be tight getting back to Myoko that night. Qantas offered a room deal which I thought was probably a good option to take up - got a twin room right next Nagano station at the Metropolitan for only A$70 inc. brekky. Nice!

#14 M_G, Jun 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Vermillion likes this.
  15. Vermillion

Vermillion Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

If you think Hyperdia is hard to use, how do you function with Australian PT?

16. LMB

LMB Old but definitely not Crusty! Ski Pass: Gold

Smart.
    Take the pressure off.
    Enjoy the trip.
    PB and I are doing that a fair bit through the coming season, slow it down, enjoy the journey rather than hurtling toward the destination at breakneck speed.

Sadly when people are on a one or two week cram as much in as possible vacation they don't tend to want to lose those 12 odd hours.

But it sounds to me like this guy is the kind with a PA or 3 who is used to just barking out requests off the top of his head and having them delivered instantly to his desk on a silver platter for his perusal. Lovely.

M_G likes this.
  17. Seth

Seth Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Need another option in the poll:

You've never heard of it.

JoeKing likes this.
  18. JoeKing

19. Froff Life

Froff Life A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Reminds me a complete tool I met a few years ago in Nozawa Onsen. He was part of a larger group of all males traveling from Brisbane to Nozawa, via Narita. They all got a direct flight but for some reason he went via Cains so had a later arrival time.
    His very helpful mates told him about Hyperdia and to use it to get the train to Nozawa Onsen from the airport, so what does this idiot do? He searches for 'Nozawa', sees the results that says change at 'Ueno', which is what his mates also did, and then just assumes that it's correct.
    The idiot ends up at 'Nozawa' station after dark, wanders around abit trying to find the lodge before some very friendly locals inform him of his stupidity:

Hyst, Draizuh, M_G and 3 others like this.
  20. JoeKing

21. Heinz

LOL I guess he could have backtracked slightly and skied Alts Bandai or Inawashiro.

There is something to be said about doing a bit of research before you go.

M_G likes this.
  22. Heinz

He would have had to change in Koryama to the Banetsu line to get there rather than ending up at Nagano. Surely something should have tweaked then?

Froff Life likes this.
  23. Froff Life

Nope, not this idiot. He saw there was snow and mountains around and just assumed he was heading in the right direction.
    The Japanese station attendant helped him find a pension for the night as it was too late to go back. He also printed out a detailed trip timetable and maps for the next day.
    The aussie arrives at the station the next morning to find the same station attendant there (in plain clothes as it was his day off) with a full packed lunch for him! Needless to say a very cute ending to the story

Dumph, skivet, M_G and 4 others like this.
  24. Heinz

LOL Japan, gotta love it.

skivet and Froff Life like this.
  25. LMB

How awesome is that!! What a fabulous guy to pack him a lunch! Nihon e yokoso!

skivet, Froff Life and Sandy like this.
  26. PMG

PMG One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

He better do some research beforehand if he ever decides to go to Naeba. He could end up even further north in Yuzawa instead of Echigo-Yuzawa.

#26 PMG, Jun 26, 2017
    Draizuh and Born2skii like this.
  27. JoeKing

I hope he doesn't go to Korea. Who knows where he'll end up.

28. M_G

Done!

It's like those people who get cheap airfares from Europe to Sydney and end up in regional Canada. Or the people who want to go to Fukuoka and end up in Toyama-ken, not Kyushu.

There are so many people getting into JoetsuMyoko Station and asking where the ski resort is that they've had to put up signs explaining the situation. Also have heard that people have ended up north at Akakura Onsen Station in Yamagata-ken.

[​IMG]

He didn't seem like a person who was used to having to do things for himself, and that's putting it kindly... ;)

#28 M_G, Jun 26, 2017
    munja, LMB, Sandy and 1 other person like this.
  29. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

I rated it "a bit difficult" but only on the basis that, as previously mentioned, you have to type a few characters and then wait for your start or destination to display in a list. DB Bahn in Germany is the same.

Once you master that one it's easy.

30. Born2ski

Born2ski Part of the Furniture

Some people NEED an Aussie travel agent to put the whole package together for them. Planes, trains, buses, different language, different food, it's all too much for some. ;)

Hyst, LMB and Piste Again like this.
  31. Piste Again

Piste Again Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

Travel agents have their advantages on rare occasions. We've been through Hawaii a couple of times en route to Canada. Qantas' website always tries to book us through LA (adding about 8 hours to the trip) but the travel agent always got us on Qantas' SYD-HNL direct flight. Same for Japan flights - Qantas' website always took us through Cairns or Townsville with Jetstar and horrible arrival times, but the travel agent got us overnight direct flights both ways.

32. skichanger

skichanger A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah getting the flights and connections you want is one time where using a travel agent is justified.

33. JoeKing

Or seats more forgiving to giants. ;)

34. LMB

Qantas site does have limited choice. It never gives me an option through Singapore for Perth - Japan (anywhere), whereas I always get that option come is searching through Skyscanner. Now with Skyscanner and similar you can usually get those alternate routes without using a travel agent.

Last week we gave the AMEX concierge a go for return QF flights in April. Option 1: book through Q Japan in Yen and throw the dice on the conversion rate/charges the bank would charge (about $100 each cheaper than Skyscanner based on XE rate and direct with Q). Option 2: book through Skyscanner - not a fan of 3rd party website where I can avoid it. Option 3: give flight details to AMEX and get a quote - if we are gonna go 3rd party that's very safe...we'll they were $1100 EACH more exxy than the Skyscanner quote so we rolled the dice and booked with Qantas Japan in Yen.

I also approached a travel agent to help with Korea/Winter Olympics. Useless. I did it myself.

35. Froff Life

They weren't helpful with your Olympics leg of the trip?

36. LMB

They had less of a clue about where to start than I did. Really WANTED to be helpful, even told me they'd look right into it and get back to me, confident they'd find the answer after a bit of research. But alas, best they could do was suggest a couple of hotels in Seoul and a "sorry we can't offer any other suggestions re: tickets, closer accomodation, train info." By this stage Id worked out how to book it direct myself through CoSport who have to have some of the worst customer service in the world, but have a monopoly on Olympic tix and Olympic accomodation. I did get a couple of contacts from other agents who wanted to help (also were going to be starting from scratch), but seeing as I'd already done to hard yards I just booked it myself.

M_G and Froff Life like this.
  37. Heinz

Victor, you are very unattractive unhelpful man.

M_G and LMB like this.
  38. LMB

LOL Yes he is LOL

39. Pelm1

Pelm1 One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

So, what time is the last train ???

:whistle:

40. Heinz

41. Draizuh

Draizuh One of Us

personally i always use the multi trip or multi city search rather than looking for individual legs. My favourite however is Matrix by ita software, its basically hyperdia for international airlines http://matrix.itasoftware.com/

LMB likes this.
  42. M_G

As I said, as long as you're at Nagano by midnight to get the 12.11 train.... :whistle: LOL

Pelm1 likes this.