1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Snow Report Is It safe for Thredbo types to visit Perisher

Discussion in 'Snow Talk' started by Slowman, Sep 8, 2020.

1. Slowman

Slowman One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Untele-whippet says Perisher is better than Thredbo. As a mild breeze resulted in Thredbo being closed today I thought some investigation was required. But I was nervous. Why is it called Perisher? Do visiting skiers perish? Are Thredbo Latte drinkers welcome?

First impressions on arrival were good. There was snow. So much snow that the terrain is glaciated. There is a large terminal moraine where cars can be parked. Handy. My objective - the mighty Mt Wheatley towered in the distance.

But first I needed some Latte so I undertook a side trip to Brunelli’s. Wanting to conform with the locals I had to cover my face with a balaclava. Unfortunately the man behind the counter in a brown hat could not understand what I was saying through the wool. Deducing I was a visiting idiot from Thredbo he gave me a latte to drink. It was good. Better than they serve at Thredbo. Untele-whippet might be correct.

I then commenced the ascent up the glacier. Crevasses were opening. Danger was becoming evident. Enormous tracked vehicles past by - adding to the peril.
    To my horror I came across blood stained snow. No doubt a victim of these terrifying tracked monsters.
    More natural perils then appeared as I commenced my ascent to the summit. A huge avalanche just meters from brave locals who were unperturbed and more interested in carrot cake. Finally the summit was reached.
    Decision time. Do I descend down the safer path to carrot cake or the more technical descent back to the terminus of the glacier and the hotel thoughtfully located there?
    I think Untele-whippet could be right. Perisher may be better. But is it worth the danger?

2. Untele-whippet

Untele-whippet beard stroker Ski Pass: Gold

I told you it was better.
    How is the Hotel California?

3. Ozgirl

Ozgirl Part of the Furniture Ski Pass: Gold

4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

One day in pouring rain @Telemark Phat tried to abduct me over the back of Mt Wheatley. I survived. He would have succeeded if his heelpieces worked.

5. Slowman

It seemed nearly as nice as the pub in Thredbo.

6. Seafm

Seafm Too far from the snow Ski Pass: Gold

Glad you liked Bruno's latte grande:thumbs: he makes a very good hot chocolate as well.

7. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

@Slowman did you get the Ultravectors into 4WD low range yet........ on Johnnies Plain yesterday

8. Slowman

Only briefly. Traction seems good though in up to 10cm of water. Beyond that I might need tech toe gum boots.