1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Is it time to get some new boots ??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JimH, Feb 12, 2020 at 9:46 AM.

1. JimH

JimH Hard Yards

Hi Folks,

I noticed I'm using the tighter settings on my boots and mositure is starting to get in to the shells and I'm getting cold feet even when it isn't that cold - should I be looking at new boots sooner than later or can I get new liners - would they work ?
    Boots are probably 8 years old with average of ~15 days a year - how long should they last anyway ?

(Shells are fine always use cat-tracks - if I'm walking more than a across the car park)
    thanks

2. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Well boots have really developed in the last couple of years so there's a good reason to up date, especially if you want to go up hill.

But if you're like me a plan your major equipment purchases out in a five planning cycle and want to squeeze a couple of more seasons out of them, new liners will work a treat. But good liners aren't cheap and they are a significant proportion of a set of new boots.

Another consideration is if you have difficult feet to fit. I found it really valuable to be able to happily use my old boots while I was getting my new boots adjusted. For me this took a few trips, so my first season in my new boots I would have skied them only about half the time.

3. JimH

JimH Hard Yards

Well that "up hill" comment got me thinking .... bit of googling has me looking at / thinking of:
    1. Rossignol All track boots + Black Crow Camox + shift bindings - this is going to be an expensive shopping spree :)

4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

It's a good point.

We're encouraging everyone who even remotely likes skiing off the groomers to get in a boot with pins and a walk mode as it gives them tons of flexibility and stops more costly compromises down the track.

skifree, Zeroz, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  5. JimH

JimH Hard Yards

https://www.skimag.com/gear/mens-all-mountain-ski-boot-reviews
    Interstingly all the 2020 ski boot reviews have pin holes whereas none of the 2019 ones in that link do - guessing that in a year or 2 all the the binding manufacturers will have a convertible model as well.

You had a chance to compare the marker model with the shift yet ?

6. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Not yet. Hopefully see one in Europe in a couple of weeks.