1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Is it time to get some new boots ??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JimH, Feb 12, 2020.

1. JimH

JimH Hard Yards

Hi Folks,

I noticed I'm using the tighter settings on my boots and mositure is starting to get in to the shells and I'm getting cold feet even when it isn't that cold - should I be looking at new boots sooner than later or can I get new liners - would they work ?
    Boots are probably 8 years old with average of ~15 days a year - how long should they last anyway ?

(Shells are fine always use cat-tracks - if I'm walking more than a across the car park)
    thanks

2. LaNeige

LaNeige One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Well boots have really developed in the last couple of years so there's a good reason to up date, especially if you want to go up hill.

But if you're like me a plan your major equipment purchases out in a five planning cycle and want to squeeze a couple of more seasons out of them, new liners will work a treat. But good liners aren't cheap and they are a significant proportion of a set of new boots.

Another consideration is if you have difficult feet to fit. I found it really valuable to be able to happily use my old boots while I was getting my new boots adjusted. For me this took a few trips, so my first season in my new boots I would have skied them only about half the time.

3. JimH

JimH Hard Yards

Well that "up hill" comment got me thinking .... bit of googling has me looking at / thinking of:
    1. Rossignol All track boots + Black Crow Camox + shift bindings - this is going to be an expensive shopping spree :)

4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

It's a good point.

We're encouraging everyone who even remotely likes skiing off the groomers to get in a boot with pins and a walk mode as it gives them tons of flexibility and stops more costly compromises down the track.

skifree, Zeroz, LMB and 1 other person like this.
  5. JimH

JimH Hard Yards

https://www.skimag.com/gear/mens-all-mountain-ski-boot-reviews
    Interstingly all the 2020 ski boot reviews have pin holes whereas none of the 2019 ones in that link do - guessing that in a year or 2 all the the binding manufacturers will have a convertible model as well.

You had a chance to compare the marker model with the shift yet ?

6. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Not yet. Hopefully see one in Europe in a couple of weeks.

7. DPS Driver

DPS Driver One of Us

The Fisher Ranger Free is a great boot.

My boot history has been AT boots for the past 15 years or so. I finally came to the conclusion that I wanted a resort boot, a plain old alpine boot and went with the Lange XT. Great boot, love it and it skis beautifully. So the decision was to have a dedicated resort boot and go lighter on my touring boot, rather than ski resorts in my touring boots. I'm spending more time in resort these days with the kids and work, so made sense.

But then I tried the Fischer Ranger Free in NZ last year. Damn. This boot can do both really, really well. Oh well.

So if it fits your foot, consider it as it's had input in design from my friends in NZ which has really made it a great all rounder. The walk mode is super simple and won't get caught on any undergrowth. That feature in itself should be enough to sway most. It's a very good boot.