Is March too late for US trip??

try hard

Hard Yards
Feb 4, 2001
Sydney,Australia
Looking at a weeks skiing in the US in March next year as part of an anniversary trip. We've always skied late January due to kids and school commitments. Given that most Colorado resorts close 1st week of April, would 12-19th March be too late for decent snow? (I know that it's been said that they close due to lack of interest rather than lack of snow generally). Considering Telluride or possibly other Colorado resorts this time as I figured Tahoe resort conditions may be getting softer by then. Thoughts??
Also, Spring Break possibly, so how are the crowds??

currawong

Old but not so Crusty
Ski Pass
Sep 17, 2003
Kiewa Valley
Re: Is March too late??

we spent 3 weeks based in Breck from late Feb to mid March (ie wait till after President's Day holiday) and it was definitely ok snow wise. still got plenty of fresh and had full cover at Breck, Keystone & Vail. I don't recall spring break being an issue crowd wise. Mardi Gras was a fun day we weren't expecting

skiflat

Old n' Crusty
Aug 10, 1999

March is fine for Colorado and Tahoe/Utah etc etc

The best snow for us was mid-March in Tahoe this year

EPIC dumpage

http://bestsnow.net/ - LOTS of info there

Spring Break - Not a problem,
President's Day/Weed - Not really a problem either, even at the I70 resorts such as Vail/Beaver Creek etc

Last edited by a moderator:

Kash

One of Us
Ski Pass
Jul 9, 2007
Sydney

It comes down to luck. Some people probably will comment and say how they had epic, waist deep pow that month, and others will have had a different experience. I for one have mostly had bluebird conditions hovering around zero on all of my March nth america trips. Still nice conditions but very little pow
frown.gif

Here's some stats for Vail, which is fairly representative of the Colorado resorts in terms of altitutde etc.
http://www.weather.com/weather/wxclimatology/monthly/graph/USCO0016

Slim

Hard Yards
Jul 24, 2008

Should still be ok, but depends on the year, and a bit of luck. I ski'd a few of the the I70 resorts mid march 2010 and had great cover top to bottom...a couple of nice 1 foot storms in a week helped...and a week after we left they had a 3 foot storm! ouch!

If worried, your odds are prob better at some of the more southern areas, Telluride, Durango etc. No crowds to worry bout either down there if that's a concern. We were at the I70 around spring break and didn't appear any busier than normal although we mainly ski'd in and around the smaller resorts...A-Basin, Loveland etc

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane

try hard said:
Considering Telluride or possibly other Colorado resorts this time as I figured Tahoe resort conditions may be getting softer by then. Thoughts??

I spent all of March in Tahoe in 2010, we had some warm days and a few big dumps. Also spent a few weeks in Utah during 2009, same thing with some warm days and two good dumps. Now since you're only looking at ONE week, then it's going to be a gamble as to whether you get the warm week or dumping snow week. How much luck do you have ?
wink.gif

p.s I'm heading over to the US next year arriving the 23rd of March.

try hard

Hard Yards
Feb 4, 2001
Sydney,Australia

Luck? As far as snow is concerned, I'm not going to jinx myself, but let's just say, so far so good. Fingers crossed.
So B2S, where are you going this time?

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

moz

Hard Yards
Jun 18, 2012
Melbourne

I fell for the March is snowiest time line. BUT this year was the worst year for a long time.... It was rubbish on the I70. You just don't know.Book a flight to LA . When you get there decide where to go. It'll be snowy somewher in the US or Canada.

Born2ski

Old n' Crusty
Ski Pass
Aug 29, 2006
Brisbane

try hard said:
So B2S, where are you going this time?

Not finalised yet, only have the flights to LA booked, but Utah is at the top of the list, most likely Solitude/Brighton based.

main street

Doing what I want.
Ski Pass
Jul 11, 2006
Kelowna, BC

moz said:
I fell for the March is snowiest time line. BUT this year was the worst year for a long time.... It was rubbish on the I70. You just don't know.Book a flight to LA . When you get there decide where to go. It'll be snowy somewher in the US or Canada.

Not at Apex.
biggrin.gif

badabing

Hard Yards
Jun 13, 2011
Sydney

Well crowds at Telluride are often not that big, seeing as many other resorts are much more convenient to get to.

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass