1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Is normo real?

Discussion in 'Perisher' started by Tonester, Sep 12, 2011.

1. Tonester

Tonester Lift Line Nazi Ski Pass: Gold

Normo has racked up an insane amount of vertical metres according to the Perisher myride leader board.

He's currently sitting at approx. 588,000 metres.

Is he real? Anyone know him?

Theories?

2. snowgirl44

snowgirl44 First Runs

when I was there last week I noticed alot of lifites walking up to the gates and scanning through the gates while on shift. Im guessing their passes work the same as a normal myride season pass which would not exempt them from the dash board ratings. So maybe a staff member?

3. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

when you look at the list you can choose to display only customers, only staff, or everyone.

4. snowgirl44

snowgirl44 First Runs

mmmmmm well that theory is out the window. I have no idea!?

5. socold

socold A Local Ski Pass: Gold

the leader at coronet peak is on 735894 meters so i say its possible

6. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I think it would depend on which lifts you are lapping, how constantly and on how many days.

7. Bato

Bato One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

I can confirm he is real, he is a 50+ guy who laps around Mt P and the Quad all day everyday. Even in the rain.

8. robbo mcs

robbo mcs One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

A few points.

I have been asked around half a dozen times by punters on lifts if I am Normo!! I guess I am on the mountain a lot, and am in the right demographic etc. I am so not worthy, and unfortunately my vertical is pretty poor compared to Normo.

There are some easy tricks to scam and get more vertical if you are desperate. It is pretty easy to do. Easiest way is to lap the quad to mid-station. It is the fastest lift in the resort, and there are no scanners at midstation AFAIK, so you get the full vertical of the quad, even though you have only skiied halfway down. Also easy to drop off a T-bar halfway, as long as you leave 3mins before you try and check in the gates again. I have spoken to people on lifts who have been doing this trying to top the daily vertical list. Who would want to do that though?? Pretty stupid skiing the bottom half of the quad for 8 hours!!

To do genuine 10,000m vertical in a day on the myride sysem without cheating is pretty big. Especially considering you may do another 20% on lifts that don't have scanners. Normo seems to rip these out everyday. He must have legs of steel.

I have a theory who he is.

I am sure the green jacket ticket checkers would know, as it shows your name, number of days on the snow on those tablets the green jackets have when you go through gates

Chaeron likes this.
  9. Bato

I know exactly who he is, go ski Mt P every day and you will see. he did quite a bit on eyre today

10. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I had one of the first Alitmeter / Vertical Tracking watches, and 10,000m was solid but achievable for a day's skiing in Vail, helped that we were race training.

Chaeron likes this.
  11. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Indeed, WTF would you do that? Pretty much take all the enjoyment out of it for the sake of some numbers? I'd get pretty sick of skiing the same part of a run continuously.

Pretty amazing acheivement though if it is legit. I've never actually kept a record of resort vertical, just heli days. Did have one huge day of over 11,000m (and don't intend trying that again) and a few others over 9,000m.

#11 Heinz, Sep 12, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2013
  12. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I've done a bit over that with Harris Mts Heli, except it has take me 28 years!

#12 Heinz, Sep 12, 2011
  13. Songo

Songo First Runs

I reckon the days of Chuck Norris are over. I reckon Normo is the new Norris.
    I wonder if this guy eats nails for breakfast

14. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

When I first checked out my ride stats, , I was dumbfounded at the vertical and number of lifts I had used - till I looked closely at the lift useage stats. Every time I went through a gate, it registered 3 runs all at the same time. Great for the stats !! About halfway through the season, it went back to normal.

15. PiniPowPow

PiniPowPow One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Is normo the fella that hangs out over on Mt P with a foxtail beanie? he is sometimes using a monoski.

16. Olgreg

Olgreg One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Oh god there's two of those guys. One's got a huge swallow tail split right up to the back of his bindings. They are so quick on those boards! They would do a helluva lotta runs.

17. Bato

Na thats not them

18. robbo mcs

Hi,

I know those two guys. They generally only ski weekends. The father allways skis the monoski split tail board. The son alternates between the monoski and normal skis. There are a couple of other relatives who allways ski with them.

On the weekend early you can be certain to see them doing laps of Eyre and International. By around 10:30 you can be certain to see them sitting in mid station polishing of beers!

BTW he changed to the split tail board this season. He said his other monoski was too stiff and kept breaking bindings.

#18 robbo mcs, Sep 16, 2011
  19. Olgreg

Father and son eh? I thought one of the foxtails looked a bit grey.

20. hipo

hipo One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Had a chat with swallow tail over on eyre - nice guy. Says monos are making a bit of a comeback in Europe with new designs - Evidently the split is to allow the mono more flex to engage the edges as well as stability at speed.

21. Olgreg

I've seen him on ice and the board certainly edges.

22. Tonester

Finally, I beat Normo on today's leaderboard. He mustn't have been feeling well today!

23. SnowTragic

SnowTragic Hard Yards

Yes I noticed you had punted normo down a few spots today!

24. Tonester

He doesn't wear an orange jacket and orange helmet by any chance??

25. Normo

Normo Mostly Harmless Ski Pass: Gold

Summer: Berowra Waters. Winter: Jindabyne
    Hey guys,
    This is just to assure those that are curious, I am real. The secret to my vertical metre accumulation is that I generally start skiing at 8am (when possible) and usually go through to last lifts, unless conditions are horrible. I've done 77 days so far this season so, when you do the math, there's no need for tricks to build the numbers. I set out this season to get fit and lose some weight. I've shed 10kg and the legs are holding up OK (though not quite "steel").
    I've shared a chair with Ian H on many an occassion. Ian is 10 years my senior and 2nd on the leaderboard. If I can be doing what he's done this year in 10 years time, I'll be very pleased. As to my identity, just ask some of the lifties or the green jacket brigade to point me out. They see me very regularly and always have a bit of a joke or offer a few words of encouragement.
    Congrats to Perisher for the Dashboard initiative. It has added a new dimension to the enjoyment of snowsport and has motivated many of us to do that extra few runs or have a go on days that are a bit marginal.

Chaeron, Jonathan_P, Nidecker and 2 others like this.
  26. Olgreg

Blokes in the bible must have felt like this, when god talked to them all of a sudden

Alleve, SnowRabbit, qwill and 5 others like this.
  27. Tonester

Well congrats Normo!

I did multiple laps of Eyre last Sunday in the hope of spotting likely "Normo" contenders. There were a couple of guys who I thought could have fit your profile. Good job on the weight loss too!

#27 Tonester, Sep 21, 2011
  28. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator

Now there's attitude for you. Good job and well done.

29. Dropbear

Dropbear Hard Yards

Normo, a few questions for you...

You mentioned you ski from 8am where possible. How often in your experience did they open the lifts early? Most of the time they've made us wait until 8:30, but there was one morning I was there for where they opened early, and made many happy customers.

Just wondering, do you stay on or off the mountain?

And was there a noticeable stage a couple of weeks in where you felt your fitness improving? How far in? The reason why I ask is that I buggered up my preseason efforts, and so while riding this season I wondered whether I'd get enough snow time in to notice a real training effect.

30. Normo

The colder (icier) it was, the less likely they've been to open early....but I was there, just in case! For all of September, they have opened something at 8am...even if it was just the Mitchell T-Bar.
    I have a holiday house in Jindy so I'm here for the whole season.
    Unfortunately, I did no pre-season prep at all. Through June I was pretty sluggish, exhausted by early afternoon, but as I started shedding a bit of weight and the legs got used to what I was asking them to do, I was able to push the pace and go the whole day. By mid July, I was really starting to warm to the task.There has been a deliberate "on snow training" element to my approach to this season. The vertical metres thing has just been a very timely advance in technology, allowing me to measure what I'm doing and giving me a bit of a push from time to time.
    My next challenge will be to maintain the fitness through summer so I can hit the mountain hard right from the start next year (nice of them to let us buy our passes now at a budget rate!).
    A big tick for Perisher this year!

31. foxpuppet

foxpuppet One of Us

I'm not even up the hill yet and normos got 1500 vm
    Already! Tomorrow I'm gonna see if I can find him.

32. Olgreg

I met Normo Monday morning, lined up at the V8 for the first chair. He's a really nice guy who just keeps going. He's slightly puzzled about all the fuss and concerned at the number of wannabes who swipe their pass at the gate on the way to the toilet etc. Fame has not fazed him.

33. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Normo, is your name norm or did you use that name because that was the name of the guy in those old life be in it adds?

34. Normo

Thanks for the rap Olgreg....nice to share first lifts with you. Tomorrow looks like being a challenging day but I'll still be there at 8am, trying to make the most of it.
    In answer to "cin", my name is actually Norm, but I loved the Life Be In It campaign. I could have been that guy, easily! However, getting off the couch was the best thing I ever did!

35. Olgreg

Have a good one Norm, I hope it turns to snow for you Thursday/Friday. I'm done for this season.

36. Tonester

I'm done too. Had my last in bounds ski on Tuesday. Good luck Norm. I only just got over 100,000 metres in 33 ski days. Your accumulated vertical is astounding. Where did you spend most of your time (when all/most lifts were open)?

37. foxpuppet

foxpuppet One of Us

FFs norm is a vm legend! I was inthe top ten this morning and got first lifts on v8 and quad and Mt p double... But still norm was ahead! I have dropped down to 38 spot but am lapping pow runs down international back to Mt p double. Those guys must be riding up and down eyre on the groomed to get those stats... Not for me. Rooster tails all the way!

38. Tonester

Fox....you're not doing so bad at the moment. But looks like Bryony is giving Norm a run for his money. Enjoy the pow guys.

39. foxpuppet

foxpuppet One of Us

It's all gone to heck... My stats stopped updating at 1245 so my final 3 or 4 runs at Mt p have not been logged or happy valley or last lap on v8 I'm just short of 50k vm for the season too. Oh well there's always tomorrey.

40. Normo

Thanks for the great snow wish Olgreg, today was sensational. In answer to Tonester, Mount P is my favourite sliding area. There's a choice of lifts, runs and a lack of queues that suits my routine. All stats ground to a halt at 1:12 PM but Bryony defied gravity up til then to build on her great season numbers. I stayed active, enjoying the freshies even though it got a bit wet and cold. There's plenty of snow on the hill now, guys. Don't pack the gear away just yet!

41. foxpuppet

foxpuppet One of Us

You riding tomorrow norm?

42. Olgreg

My snow wishes seem to be most effective when I am stuck in Sydney. Glad you got the benefit Norm. You have inspired me to pack in more runs next season. I'll keep an eye out for you early next season.

#42 Olgreg, Oct 1, 2011
  43. robbo mcs

Hi,

Shared a couple of T-bars with normo today. Very nice guy, and a great story behind his season. Good on you normo, you make us all jealous, but it sounds like you have really enjoyed yourself.

I must say, it is something I would love to do one year, ski virtually everyday of the season. It would be amazing to see the resort in all conditions, the good, the bad and the ugly, and watch the season go by!

BTW myride dashboard seems to have stuffed up again today. None of my runs after 12 are showing.

Robbo

TC likes this.
  44. Normo

Thanks Robbo.
    Maybe next year I'll have to wear a funny hat or something so I can enjoy more open lift chats with fellow travellers. For me, this year has been a bit selfish, indulgent, but I have had a great time. I've got my ticket for next year and I hope to get value for it.
    The IT guys have had some challenges dealing with the downloads and stuff and they have pretty well come through, despite the occassional hiccup.
    The whole dashboard thing is pretty awesome. It'll be even better when they have a smile-meter installed, and a chatting with lifties bonus, and jokes with the green jacket brigade points, a "collecting the gear of someone that's had a spill" award and a "yes, I'll escort the 3 milo kids up to mid station" badge.
    Apart from that, the snow is the go and we've got plenty on the hill for the rest of the weekend. Is it too much to ask for the season to be extended?

45. cold wombat

cold wombat Twitter Contributer Moderator

If only it wasn't a question of money...

Both for Perisher management and also me.

[​IMG]

#45 cold wombat, Oct 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 11, 2013
  46. foxpuppet

foxpuppet One of Us

bugger...5 laps on international dont get you anything do they...except untracked pow...hahah what a week its been. hope everyone enjoyed the season as much as i did!

47. davidjames

davidjames Hard Yards

same fox puppet as easy loungin?

48. foxpuppet

foxpuppet One of Us

yeah and boardworld and xbox live and blah blah blah... i use the same name pretty much everywhere
    i have to run under a different name over on snowatch though...they dont like me as much [​IMG]

who are you davidjames?

#48 foxpuppet, Oct 3, 2011
  49. Dropbear

Dropbear Hard Yards

This is the ultimate I reckon. I want to feel the anticipation, the joy, and also the pain of the season as it goes from green to white and ultimately back to green.

Goodonya to Normo and anyone else who has bummed it up to the full.

For me I'll be counting myself fortunate to see a sizeable chunk of next season, but I don't see myself doing the whole thing until retirement... unless I buy a van and drop out of society completely.

Meh, society is overrated anyway...

#49 Dropbear, Oct 4, 2011
  50. Kuragari

Kuragari Hard Yards

Just read on Perisher's Facebook page that they offered to refund Normo's purchase of his Freedom Pass for next year, but instead Normo has opted to donate that money to the volunteer ski patrol. Awesome thing to do. [​IMG][​IMG]

Congrats on the vertical too [​IMG]

#50 Kuragari, Oct 4, 2011
    person s likes this.