1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Apr├Ęs topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Is skiing like riding a bike?

Discussion in 'Falls Creek' started by Latecomer, Jul 3, 2007.

1. Latecomer

Latecomer First Runs

I was enlightened to the joys of skiing 2 years ago at the age of 48. Plowed for a day and a half, then suddenly got the hang of it and was going down blue runs without crashing too often by the third day. Did not ski last year because of crap season. My question is, is this like riding a bike? Once you learn how to do it, you don't forget? Will I pick it up again reasonably quick? I suppose the real answer is - have to wait and see.

2. D-eye

D-eye Photographer and skier Moderator

yes it's like riding a bike. I had four years between my first and second time of skiing and another 4 years between the 2nd and 3rd.

By the end of the first day it tends to come back to you.

3. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Yes, it's exactly like riding a bike!
    As long as the pedals are 1.5m long, you're on an icy track, dodging obstacles and bumps, and it's -2C and snowing. And you're are paying $90 a day to get up the hill.

Even if you have good muscle memory it will take you at least a day to de-dork.

4. Insaneogram

Insaneogram First Runs

I can only go for a week a year. Day 1 is normally my gumby day, day 2 is by best day, and days 3 - 7 I'm so buggered from skiing all day and drinking all night I crash and burn

5. Latecomer

Latecomer First Runs

Thanks for your replies. It gives me hope.

6. Fangin'Wolvy

Fangin'Wolvy First Runs

7. currawong

currawong Old but not so Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

just take it gently to start off with and you'll get back to where you were in a few days. Lessons help too. Your situation is one that encourages bad habits. Lessons help stop you ingraining them.

8. Stratus

Stratus A Local

A lesson even for one day really helped me get it all back together after 2 years of non skiing!

9. Apresski

Apresski Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

At least it doesn't hurt half as much falling on snow as falling onto a road! Seriously take it gently for a while and TAKE A LESSON. I took skiing up later in life and between pregnancies and taking care of children I had a very disrupted start to skiing, but I swear by lessons.

10. Andrew N

Andrew N First Runs

yep definitely take a lesson - you will pick it up again without bad habits SIGNIFICANTLY faster than any other method.

11. BilbyBill

BilbyBill One of Us

Take lessons. Learning a good habits is easier and quicker than un-learning bad ones.

12. ausi ski bum

ausi ski bum A Local

Lessons are fun, its great to ski with people of your own level and you progress so much faster and safer.

13. Yardsale

Yardsale Part of the Furniture Moderator

I had to laugh at this. When I used to race pushies on the weekend, I spent my final racing weekend out near ballart, it was sleeting, I was freezing, people were falling all over the place, I got 2 flats on top notch race tyres on a $2500 bike, one from hitting a pot hole at 40kph.

On the Sunday night I met Dark One, Flying Dutchman and Slushie, and have been skiing or boarding every winter weekend since.

Latecomer, I predict you will do 3 turns, the third of which will land you on your butt. After you have got that inital stack out of your system you will be right as rain. Happens to me every year [​IMG]

#13 Yardsale, Jul 4, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2013