Question Is This Feathertop?

skifree

A disciple of the blessed avi giraffe
Ski Pass
Jul 13, 1998
Middle Oz
Only problem is there’s be someone on this website who would then complain about scale or perspective or some minor inaccuracy...
They can complain all they like, some folks will care some folks wont. Ying & Yang.

Tho ideally folks who do get upset about such issues should go off and look at other threads.

It’s easy to pick shit and complain, anyone can do it.:(

But it’s heaps much nicer to say if you like something and be constructive.:)

Total Whiteout

One of Us
Sep 6, 2016
Canberra
Just found this again.

Feathertop 1929 W Begg .jpg

Apparently the following winter!

From 'Mount Hotham: Its History From the 1850s to 1950s', by Peter Cabena (Research Officer - Department of Crown Lands and Survey) 1979.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
www.australianmountains.com
I think I used a version of the same photo by Warrand Begg in the section on cornice collapses and avalanches, and wrote words that effectively said "if you do this, you will die".

EDIT. Warrand Begg, the bloke who took that picture, went on to spend the next 50 years as a prominent skier. He wrote a delightful article in the 1936 Aust Ski Yearbook called "A winters work" describing his job as a new graduate working for Kiewa Hydro. He had to record measurements of major snow gauges each day and ski toured all over the Bogong High Plains checking other gauges every week. He lived in Cope Hut and had a few domestic bothers like his eggs freezing solid. It's a well written, fun read if you can get your hands on it.

Chaeron

Ski-Hike-Blade-Bike-Kayak
Ski Pass
Jun 24, 2014
Dandenong Ranges
This is interesting.

upload_2020-1-23_23-39-27.png

At some point a marker was added to the summit cairn. I've zoomed in and cropped this photo slightly.

Source: https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/166982348?q="feathertop"&sortby=dateAsc&c=picture&versionId=181956880
Geo-survey trig beacons of various types which supplemented cairns were introduced across NSW/ VIC at some point - that timing should be able to be determined probably from this source:

https://www.propertyandlandtitles.v...0021/55056/Surveying_the_Black-Allan_Line.pdf

https://trove.nla.gov.au/work/22704878?q&versionId=27517034 (Paper copy - Trig beacon register)

It is a subsequent next generation of beacons whose remnants can currently be found on many peaks, some still survive.

From memory - by example on Mt Torbreck the remains this type of third generation beacon lies discarded near the summit. Similar type on Arapiles - some on a tripod of long steel pipes.

Reactions: skifree

Total Whiteout

One of Us
Sep 6, 2016
Canberra
ill have a read when I can. My only comment though is that the design of marker seems to have changed between the two photos. The first photo c 1929 is marked with a sort of mast / cross type of marker, while the second photo I've posted is marked with a more contemporary tripod / quad pod type marker.

Which also suggests the marker was actively maintained for a period.

Reactions: skifree and Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
Most years the annuals Walk and Melbourne Walker had roundups of hiking related news in them. So once we have the latest date the internet can provide for the cairn, I'll pull my sets of them out and check the years immediately afterwards to see if there's any mention of the demise of the cairn.

That's unless Trove has recently uploaded searchable texts of them. That would make it slightly easier.

Bogong

Part of the Furniture
Ski Pass
Jun 16, 2005
More woke than thou.
Smallish 1m cairn seems visible in 2007...

Walkweb - Jeremy Payling.
I first climbed Feathertop in summer when I was pretty young in the 1984 or 85. I don't recall any semblance of anything cairn like at the time and I was the sort of kid to make mental notes about things like that. Of course someone may have built a modest cairn subsequent to my first ascent, but I was also up there a few more times in the 80s and 90s and many times in the first decade of this century and it doesn't trigger any memories.

Of course my memory could be shaky, it sometimes is.

Total Whiteout

One of Us
Sep 6, 2016
Canberra
I would have first climbed Feathertop via Razorback as a kid around 2002 or 2003. I actually do recall there being a small cairn on top. But I think it was more of a recent amateur thing built by modern walkers.

Reactions: Chaeron
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass