1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Italy Jan 2019 question

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Ian D, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Ok so it seems I will have the opportunity of 3 or 4 days skiing in the dolomites in the 2nd half of Jan next year.

Looking at options for a family of 4, all intermediate level, kids are mid to late teens. Most are not terribly fit.

Doing a range of things while in Italy, but got agreement for about 3 days of skiing.

Any dos, or don'ts? Any recommendations on the basis of info provided, not interested in hero skiing, big air, mega steeps. Want fun skiing to finish off a trip with family.

As indication of level for the weakest, can ski summit at Falls, "black" line, cruises on super trails at Thredbo, mt P, excellerator at perisher or LBS at Buller. That is standard looking at. Have all skiied NZ and Japan, some also Squaw Valley, Tahoe are of US.

Thanks.

CarveMan and JoeKing like this.
  2. JoeKing

JoeKing Old n' Thrusty Ski Pass: Gold

You've come to the right place to ask! :out:

piolet likes this.
  3. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Val Gardena is fab- Kid freindliest area is down the valley a bit, Seiser Alm- above Sankt Urlich which has great skiing on the other side of valley as well ( good off piste options also) . St. Urlich is closer to Brixen which has some great sightseeing- townsquare and church - ( massive organ pipes + architechture)

Sadie, piolet, NewTurns and 1 other person like this.
  4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Sounds awesome. I’ve only skied there one day so can’t offer much, we stayed in Corvara and did a lap of the Sella Ronda and had a great time. The Dolomites are stunningly spectacular.

Sadie, piolet, NewTurns and 1 other person like this.
  5. Ian D

"Kids" will be 18 and 16, so kiddy options not really an issue

NewTurns likes this.
  6. Kletterer

May as well stay in the centre of the action in Val G then.

NewTurns likes this.
  7. Kletterer

Cafe Mozart for awesome cakes in town centre.

8. Ian D

@Kletterer - how careful do you have to be with accom? Is most of it ski in ski out or is a lot of it hike to lifts, hike home or even bus to lifts bus home?

NewTurns likes this.
  9. Kletterer

Quite a lot of the accom is walk to lifts and i do remember the streets were busy with folks trudging to the lifts. I stayed in town very close to the access chair and the other time had a car most days when staying over at Larchunei street. Not a prolific skibus system by my accustomed Austrian standards. Expect the closer accom to be considerably pricier. I also spent time staying in Brixen- morning drive to St. Urlich was easy and the local nearby resort Plose was well worth a day visit. Consider a hire car IMO. The Eissacktal has a fair bit to offer.

10. Telemark Phat

Telemark Phat Pass the butter Ski Pass: Gold

Sella Ronda. You must ski the Sella Ronda.

piolet, NewTurns and CarveMan like this.
  11. Ian D

I am reading that the Sella Ronda you should allow 6 hours, others are saying they are in their 50's not speed demons and did a lap each way easily in the day.

How long (roughly) would a lap take? A whole day or 3-4 hours?

12. Kletterer

Allow a full day with a 1 hour lunch break.

NewTurns, Jacko4650 and Ian D like this.
  13. Ian D

No, but it is part of about 4 weeks in Italy in general including time in a lot of other places and (hopefully) attending a football match. It is a holiday that includes skiing, not a ski holiday. We may stretch a few extra days in the Alps if there is a good base that we settle on that we can ski and tour local area from. Wifey is no chance of skiing 5 days straight!

NewTurns likes this.
  14. Kletterer

Re Sella Ronda - From Val G. the quickest way to do the Ronda is clockwise - see the lift piste layout. Noticed how busy mornings were heading in the Colfosco/ Corvara direction . The other way is slower initialy but less busy and potentialy more enjoyable. I ended up enjoying skiing more by avoiding the morning Sella Ronda rush and to be honest its not the big bucket list item its reputed to be imo. It is novel but i found the trip to Marmolada via Arraba more interesting .

Townsend, Ian D, Izzy and 1 other person like this.
  15. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Agree about doing the Sella Rhonda in a day - relax, chill, ski a few fun runs twice or thrice and enjoy meal breaks along the way (suggest you eat early/late to avoid crowds if you are doing the circuit). Accomm depends on where you want to start finish other parts of your much longer holiday - so Val Gardena/St Christina/Ortesei from Milan/Venice direction. Alta Badia and Corvara are both easy/challenging with easy access to all manner of other areas if time permits and the Sella Rhonda. If the snow is good, the Alpe di Siusi area has a massive area of pretty easy runs. Kronplatze, on the other hand is essentially one huge mountain with massive slopes of all descriptions and perfect for a smash'n'go type of ski experience, but it doesn't have the natural beauty and awe of most other Dolomite area. If you are coming from Germany or Vienna, Cortina might be OK, but I found it a bit annoying getting from one ski area to the other, so 3 days. . . Alta Badia, Corvara or Val Gardena = my tip. Have fun? Might see you there as current ski buddy has already put the word on me!

NewTurns likes this.
  16. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

NewTurns and Ian D like this.
  17. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

on a short trip Lagazuoi might be a stretch
    on the other hand it’s one of those experiences of a lifetime, so why not?
    Dolomites are very beautiful, worth doing

NewTurns likes this.
  18. CarveMan

It’s something you allocate a day for, but take your time in the process. We started early and went pretty hard but when we realisd that we did the first half in about 90 minutes we slowed down and took some side trips, had a nice lunch etc.

It’s all groomed run skiing so if you’re ok with steeper blue runs then it will be no trouble time-wise and a superb experience.

Sadie, piolet, XTREMO and 4 others like this.
  19. Izzy

Izzy One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

January is usually pretty quiet, so the Sella Ronda can easily be covered in 4 hours because of the small lift lines. As mentioned by Kletterer, the Marmolada glacier from the 3 stage cable car is amazing and well within the abilities of your group from your description.

NewTurns, Ian D and Kletterer like this.
  20. NewTurns

NewTurns One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

THIS

21. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

:thumbs:

For family trip Friedrich August is an nice stopover. Children usually ski under the oxe towards the Refugie.
    Often you will be greeted by dogs when you leave the place with the local draglift again.

https://www.google.dk/maps/place/Refuge+Friedrich+August+Hütte/@46.500467,11.745209,15z/data=!4m7!3m6!1s0x0:0x3ca56c5d5e6e3652!5m1!1s2018-04-08!8m2!3d46.500467!4d11.745209

22. XTREMO

St Ulrich also seemed like a fantastic town.

Kletterer and Hyst like this.
  23. XTREMO

Precisely. You can easily do two laps in a day, with a lunch break. Although do your lunch break late and close-ish to home. Queues are worse in the arvos.

24. piolet

piolet Better make it three Ski Pass: Gold

Here to agree with everyone about the sella Ronda LOL
    There'll be a good base left over from this season, nice cool ground.
    This kinda stuff people say to allocate a day for the above reasons but also you don't want to get delayed and end up stuck in another valley when the lifts shut (been there, done that, dont recommend).
    Sunglasses, t-shirts and lounging in the sun with some local vino, I love italy

person s likes this.
  25. Kletterer

This was my fave spot to eat, Col Pradat Hutte at the top of Col Pradat. Lift #45 on the map. Chair # 50 is a great roomy cruiser for your GS turns.

person s, Jacko4650, Kimski and 3 others like this.
  26. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We stayed in Colfosco which we found great. The place we had was a short walk to the bridge to ski down to the gondola. Then to get back, you cut in behind the church and ski to the door. It was a really nice quiet village that we found pretty central to get around. Not too far from where we enjoyed to ride. There was a small supermarket/store just down the street to walk to and another one a short walk around the corner. You pass it on the way to the bridge.
    Try to do a lap of the Sellaronda on the first day so that you can suss out the other areas and decide where you would like to ski the next few days.
    If you don't stop, you can get around the Sellaronda in pretty good timing. We went Anti-Clockwise. We didn't stop a lot and before we knew it we were half way around and backed off a bit. Some people like to get out there really early, but the snow is quite firm first up so we relaxed a bit and waited for the snow to soften a little. Because of this though, we copped a bottleneck getting on the #29 Gondola. It was everyone for themselves. No one was safe. It was quite a funny experience when you see the lifty with his foot in someones back trying to squeeze them in whilst the doors are shutting. Sardines.
    I'm so jealous that you are going LOL

Kletterer likes this.
  27. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yep, that was usually our last run into home.

Kletterer likes this.
  28. XTREMO

So @Ian D what dates are you in the Dolomites? Interested to hear how it is there!

29. Richard

Richard Maintenance Dept Administrator

Needs moar Trip Report!

(I think the Dunlop’s are in the Dolomites after the 14th abouts. @XTREMO )

Kletterer, climberman and XTREMO like this.
  30. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Most of it has been covered pretty well.

Val Gardena is a good option - largest town in the region, right on the Sella Ronda, surrounded by ski areas. Pay attention to where your accommodation is relative to the lifts. Stay close to lifts or be happy with a few minutes walk to get there. Buses run around the place but who wants to be waiting for a bus?

Colfosco is next to Corvara - to the east of Val Gardena, and therefore a bit further away from Bolzano, being the nearest city / rail link. Bolzano may be your entry point (or it may not).

Addressing stuff from higher up the page, the Hutte Friedrich August is not immediately on the Sella Ronda tour - it's over above Campitello on the other side of the ridge. It has it's own little surface lift to get back up to the ridge. Hard(ish) to find if you're not looking, and not directly on the way to anywhere. Great view down the Val di Fassa though.

Col Pradat (and the Utia Forcelles rifugio on the other side of the Y-shaped runs above Colfosco) are great spots. And the Edelweiss Hutte in the valley below is also good. Colfosco is a great option. Smaller place, directly on the Sella Ronda, quicker access to the Marmolada, Passo Falzarego / Lagazuoi, and all things 'Alta Badia'. Good luck with the lift maze above Corvara first time around ... getting a little bit lost can be fun.

Two tours of the Sella can easily be done in a day if that's your 'thing'. From memory it's somewhere around 2hours 20mins of lift time each way, plus waiting time and skiing time. I agree with the idea of 'why bother'? The Sella Ronda lifts are the busiest in the region and they become a hassle once you get used to waiting twenty seconds to get on a lift. Take your time, take some side trips (there's lifts going all over the place and lots of sign posts for the Sella Ronda to find your way back), enjoy some breaks, take some photos, have a great lunch. It's hard to find a rifugio that won't delight you in some manner.

PM me once you lock in your accommodation if you'd like some pointers.

Jacko4650 and Hyst like this.
  31. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

before I went to the Dolomites I read about the Sella Ronda and thought 'wow - that's great, must do it'
    but once I was there it really didn't seem all that important
    on the other hand, an overnight at Rifugio Lagazuoi really is a must, as much for the ski back to civilisation next day

Jacko4650 likes this.
  32. CarveMan

I enjoyed the Sella Ronda, a fun thing to tick off the list. I reckon we could have done it twice, we started off quick but slowed down when we realised we had more than enough time. I’d do it again, but there’s lots of exploring in the Dolomites that I also need to do!

33. linked_recoveries

I've done the overnight in Lagazuoi, and it really is a joy. You're standing at the rope for first tracks in the morning, so it's seven kilometres (or so) of corduroy followed by a horse drawn sleigh drag out to Armentarola. On the other hand it's not really an amazing 'ski' per se; the top part requires several straight line / tuck sections in order to make it over the next rise, it can get crowded in the middle section (unless you're skiing first tracks) and there's a short uphill herringbone section towards the end. Also, the whole of the valley is in shadow first thing in the morning so you miss all the amazing colours from the surrounding cliffs, which spoils the view (a lot). If you've only four days to spend in the region then certainly look to do the run, but ski to Corvara and get the bus to the Passo Falzarego (research the timetable), ski it mid-morning when the sun is on the cliffs and make your way home again after spending the afternoon skiing in the Alta Badia region.

https://www.altabadia.org/en/info-s...ing-to-alta-badia-bus-alta-badia-cortina.html

Below is a shot of the rifugio sitting atop the cliffs above the Passo Falzarego. It's quite a place to spend the night, and the view is amazing.

#33 linked_recoveries, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Slide Sideways and CarveMan like this.
  34. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

When you stop for lunch and require refreshing drink...other than beer or other alcohol. ...try Skiwassa :thumbs:
    Marmolada is by far the best trip...but expect long lines on a clear day, especially the double chair.
    Sellaronda has some spectacular scenery.
    Do the the Sasslong GS course......twice

Attached Files:

35. linked_recoveries

At the end of the WC Downhill course is a short magic carpet that moves people up to the right. That's the entrance to a light rail connection (a funicular) which provides access to the Seceda area across the valley. You come back the same way.

36. Kletterer

Dont forget Plose. One of my fave black pistes to the bottom of Gondola. Awesome upper mountain for pow days- a huge area with more space and less riders in one area than anywhere up around Val G- Alta Badia. Valley run #1 is a real corker with good width.

37. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

This is a great thread. We have just booked flights into Milan for mid-Feb for a week and I am going crazy trying to work out where to go (so much choice!) We are a family of four (kids are intermediate skiiers). I'm a good inter/advanced skiier, plus hubby is good solid snowboarder. I am looking at Val Gardena. Any other suggestions? We probably won't hire a car unless we have to. I checked Cervinia, but it's pretty booked up for the week we're coming and accom seems expensive. (Feb 15-23). Thoughts? TIA

38. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

OK. I just did some more looking and Val Gardena is too far away from Milan (300kms) to really make it feasible unfortunately. Any other suggestions welcome.... I have been looking at the Aosta Valley and Pila maybe that is better.

39. XTREMO

You're flying from Australia? The extra hour or 3 to get to one resort over another isn't gonna make much differnce to your overall travel time, so go where the snow is good. Not the shortest transfer. Cervinia or Courmayeur are probably the closest main resorts to Milano. You're arriving in peak school holiday period so prices will be up and availabilities low. If I were in your position I'd be scoping Austria options. They have literally 5 X more snow than Italy at the moment and since you're not yet locked in to anywhere, its pretty much a no brainer to head east.

Heinz and Kletterer like this.
  40. Kletterer

Monterosa. Hire a car if you are 4 takes just over 2 hours

Zeroz, spunk72 and CarveMan like this.
  41. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

north & east. The recent snow in Austria is predominately on the northern side of the Alps - Voralrberg,Tirol, Salzburg, Obersteiermark rather than Osttirol, Kärnten and down in Italy. Get an extra flight into Salzburg or Innsbruck.

42. CarveMan

Booked flights to Milan today also!

The Monte Rosa area is fantastic, have a look at Champoluc.

Also there's Courmayeur and Pila and La Thuile as far as the majors go.

As the others have said the world is your oyster in the Alps but if you're not getting a car the Aosta Valley resorts are less of a schlep.

Zeroz and Kletterer like this.
  43. Kletterer

I wouldnt worry about lack of snow by 15 Feb. as a major factor in destination choice. If you dont want to lock accomodation in ( due to snow factor) leave it for while and Book a hire car. You can always stay in satelite towns ( if accom options get too thin) and take a short drive in the mornings to different areas. Bressanone/ Brixen is one good example of this. The drive up to St Urlich- part of Val G is quite easy and you have the Eisacktal resorts such as Plose to enjoy.

44. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Thanks for the responses. Without boring you about my story, we live in Dubai, and am flying from there. As it's only a week don't want to suck up too much time in driving/transfers if poss. We fly staff travel and couldn't get flights into Austria unfortunately (yes, as Kletterman said it's peak holiday period - that's why we are going, just left our booking a bit late...) So Milan it is! I will look at the above resorts and see what the accom options are. I hope they have more snow by then!

Kletterer and CarveMan like this.
  45. XTREMO

The reality is you won't be skiing on the arrival and departure days, so let that factor in and help rationalise your decision making. Same number of ski days either way. May as well maximise chances of them being epic.

Kletterer likes this.
  46. Ian D

Heading up there on the 12th. Sounds like about the only place in Europe NOT getting snow this season!

47. XTREMO

Um no , there's lots of places running bare. You'll have fun for sure. Dolomites snowmaking is second to none. Plus Italy.

Ted Harper and CarveMan like this.
  48. linked_recoveries

Yep, The western (mostly French, but with some Swiss and Italian resorts as well) and southern (sud Tyrol / Italian) Alps need some more snow. On the other hand a few inches of snow is forecast for the Dolomites today, topped up with another (small) snowfall over 13/14 Jan. Most of your skiing in the Dolomites will be on piste, so as long as the hills look white you'll have the full experience.

Ian D and CarveMan like this.
  49. Kletterer

2 days to go @Ian D Some snow on Sunday and Monday very likely.

50. spunk72

spunk72 Hard Yards

Thanks Carveman. We are renting a car (cheaper than transfers for 4 pax). So planning on heading to Aosta like you are... qeustion is, where to find a base? I like the look of Pila, but also Champoluc and Courmayeur. As we will be there in peak week (school hols) is there a ski area that we should aim for that's a bit quieter ( in terms of queues/parking/ etc)? I know that a lot of the lifts interlink, but still getting my head around it all.