1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Italy Jan 2019 question

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Ian D, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Forecasts I am looking at are saying 2 and 3cm, hardly worth cracking a fresh beer over. Arrive Saturday afternoon.

2. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah the cams are looking rather bare at the moment :(

3. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Whereas the northern and eastern Alps, across to eastern Europe, are wondering what to do with all the snow.

4. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

I’m not much help as I’ve not skied in Aosta a huge amount and my skiing has been all backcountry focused so not much feedback on the resort side. Honestly I’d give them all a go (put in La Thuile as well) and just get an early start to get ahead of the queues and if you’re done by 2pm settle in for a late Italian lunch!!

5. CarveMan

This.

piolet, Sadie and Kletterer like this.
  6. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I was in Val G 2006 a very lean year Jan- Feb. You would be surprised how well it skis with little snow.

Sadie likes this.
  7. CarveMan

I was there 2 years ago. There was **** all snow but as X mentioned the snowmaking is fantastic, as is the lift infrastructure, the views, the food, the wine........

8. Sadie

We got lucky last year. I was with my cousin who had been before and was telling us where there wasn’t any snow when he was there and saying how much we had this time.
    It’s a great place to be anyway in my opinion.

Kletterer likes this.
  9. Ian D

Arrived, settled in, sorted ski hire and ready to go tomorrow. Started chatting to the guy at ski hire and he was clearly a Pom, asked him where from and he replied "a little town just out of Liverpool" so I asked him "Red or Blue?" to which he smiled and said "Red of course! Where are you guys from?" I replied "Do you remember Craig Johnston?" he replied "Yes, he used to drink at my local, top bloke, loved his song" I replied "He is from my home town in Australia, Newcastle". Kept talking, discussing the season so far (for Liverpool) and got a super deal on ski hire at the end of it ;)

Lesson to the kiddies who always complain that I "chat to anyone, it's embarrassing!"

Snow forecast for the next couple of days and insane winds up high so will spend a couple of days cruising the valleys before looking further afield later in the week. Bring it on :)

Off piste looks really thin, especially north facing. Actual runs look pretty good. Clearly has been cold, already spotted about 4 different areas of ice climbers on the way in and on the massif opposite Colfosco.

10. climberman

climberman CloudRide1000 Legend Ski Pass: Gold

We want pics!
    We want pics!

11. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Yeah picsorban man with big stick

CarveMan and Telemark Phat like this.
  12. linked_recoveries

Nice one.

Careful of the inter-valley lifts going on wind hold. You can get 'stuck' in the wrong valley. They're pretty good at providing advance notice if the winds are getting to that stage, advising you to return to your home valley, but still ...

If it's too windy check out Colfosco and Alta Badia. That gives you a lot of area to explore. You can ski down from the Alta Badia hills to Corvara and the (horizontal) Borest gondola from Corvara to Colfosco won't be wind-affected.

NewTurns, piolet and Sadie like this.
  13. Ian D

OK observations from Day 1 skiing out of Colfosco and Corvara

1. Looks a lot like Thredbo - snow on the runs, not in the village. Eg check out Corvara.

Or Colfosco higher up - just under 2000m.

The other similarity is the many of the on snow, top of lift eateries. Small, overpriced, but atmospheric with great views. Note to self, go to in town eateries as of tomorrow - there is no shortage of views!

That is about it but.

2. Snow conditions, wow. Despite being reassured by some on here I was dubious before going out but the snow condition was amazing considering. There were no bare patches, barely an icey patch and the snow conditions stayed excellent all day despite daytime temps hovering just above zero.

I also took way too many of these!

Other things I noticed.
    3) Well over 95%, probably 98% of people wore helmets (me included). Those few that didn't fell into 3 clear categories.
    a) Fashionistas that couldn't ski but keen to look good
    b) Guys that looked like they learnt to ski in WWII
    c) Those with Aussie accents.
    Just an observation.

4) The percentage of snowboarders was about the same as those that didn't wear helmets (but no direct correlation). I didn't catch a single lift or gondola with a snowboarder all day, actually I don't think I even saw one in a lift line (which admittedly were really really short).

5) Lot of older people skiing, not many under 40. Probably to do with school holidays over here. We are the youngest people in the lodge we are staying in by at least 10 years.

6) Did I mention no queues?

7) Scenery - no words, just about 100 panoramas!

50km covered first day (including lifting) so comfortably more than around the SR and only skiied most of Colfosco and parts of Corvara!

Snow started about 4pm and has steadily been increasing ever since, forecast to go all night and most of tomorrow so no SR again tomorrow (huge winds up high, nothing in the valley but warning against leaving the valley as links may close). So should look even more amazing in the morning (if that is possible!).

NewTurns, Jacko4650, Hyst and 9 others like this.
  14. Ian D

15. climberman

Too awesome. How’s the serenity!!

Johnb007 likes this.
  16. LiveToSki

LiveToSki One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Wow.. Thats fantastic. Pity the 'google maps' is the summer edition of the area! But I love that!

17. linked_recoveries

18. linked_recoveries

Looks like a string of snowy days coming your way. The snow's just going to get better. If that forecast turns out to be accurate Wednesday might be the day to head for the Marmolada.

Sadie likes this.
  19. Johnb007

Johnb007 Addicted

That's funny. I am in all 3 categories and I still wear a helmet. Well not much of "a" actually except the can't ski bit. Thanks for the report. I love the Dolomites except for the iffy snow. However the views are fabulous, the runs down the chutes in between the big cliffs are amazing, oh and the food and plonk are good too. Friendly to boot except the locals refusing to speak Eye-tie. They are proudly Romansh and pretend not to speak Italian, much to the disgust of Italian skiers. English or German no trouble. Enjoy the trip and hope you get some good snow. When there is good snow there are some really great long gentle runs up on the tops of the massifs between the villages. Great to soak up the serenity.

20. Ian D

Nice view this morning

21. XTREMO

Glad to hear the conditions were good for skiing! You only really get a true sense of the snowmaking might, when you see the white carpet effect and hear favourable reports like the one above. The Sella is an impressive piece of rock so its hard to take a bad pic, but everything looks better with snow.

Have you done much skiing outside of Aus? I ask because sometimes Aussies have a pretty rose coloured view of Euro snow if they're used to Aus resorts. My friends last year thought Saalbach was amazing mid Jan, and the riding conditions were really very average by proper Euro winter standards.

I wouldn't worry too much about descending to towns for your lunches. There's plenty of good on-mountain food and the price premium is not that much. Google beforehand to find the high rated ones (like Jimmy Hütte in Colfosco - was my fave). Worth it to save the walk and wasted time going into villages in middle of the skiing day IMO.

NewTurns likes this.
  22. Ian D

US Japan, NZ but first time in Europe.

XTREMO likes this.
  23. XTREMO

Looking forward to more white pics today!

24. linked_recoveries

Stick to the pasta (I’m a pasta freak) and the house wines (Italian) are usually more than good enough. Lunch tends to be a simple pasta (9 - 12 euro) and a litre carafe of house red (12 - 15 euro) for the table.

25. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Interesting to se how different predictions can be:

Wind will stay strong til Tuesday morning:

26. CarveMan

A foot of snow on the horizon according to Windy which uses ECMWF:

NewTurns and climberman like this.
  27. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Looks much better on the Cams now . . . . . Crazy that it is so different to parts of Austria only a few clicks away where there's too much snow.

Sadie likes this.
  28. Johnb007

Johnb007 Addicted

Yep just the other side of the hill. Amazing.

29. Sadie

Getting to Jimmi when it’s windy LOL. People were getting blown around all over the place when we were there ha ha

30. Sadie

Ahhh so you’re right next to the “little” supermarket and down from the church. Nice.
    Have you had any of their prosciutto yet? Mmmmmmm

31. CarveMan

Bet it was almost as good as @Slide Sideways !!

Slide Sideways and Sadie like this.
  32. Sadie

Almost LOL He was in Heaven. The women (with the massive drawn on eyebrows) in the deli at the larger Supermarket on the main road was loving him. He was in his element trying all the different ones. They were so so good!

NewTurns and CarveMan like this.
  33. Ian D

Immediately above it. Dinner and breakfast package. No shortage of yummy prosciutto over last 2 weeks. Best was in Tuscany where we also had wild boar. That was amazing.

NewTurns, piolet and CarveMan like this.
  34. Ian D

Amazing what a difference 1 night of snow makes. Apparently 20cm overnight, cleared this morning and snowing again now. Took it easy today, yesterday just my son and me as my daughter spent evening throwing up so didn't ski. So today had the full crew first day back on snow in 18 months for some of them so all about getting balance and confidence back.

I did get my first black run in today which was nice, could send the family down an easier option.

Saw some deer grazing under a gondola, that was pretty cool.

35. CarveMan

36. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

37. XTREMO

Sounds like every middle aged East German checkout chick in Berlin. And short unnaturally bright beetroot red hair.

linked_recoveries likes this.
  38. linked_recoveries

The maps for the Alba area don't catch up with developments from two years back. There's a new cable car linking Alba with the top of the Belvedere region - the Col dei Rossi. It's a funky, modern design, with the top station standing out over the valley on stilts. At the same time they removed the old Ciampac cable car and replaced it with a new gondola, adding a storage shed at the top to house the gondolas each night. The two base stations sit side by side in the one development.

If I haven't said so yet, the investment in infrastructure each year is just off the charts - they reinvest around seventy million euros each year. They must have Doppelmayr and Leitner on speed dial no.1 and no.2.

The new cable car is on the far side of the Sella from Colfosco. I've added the new link into the below map in green. With the new lift skiing all the way to Pozza di Fassa and back to Colfosco can certainly be done in a day. You used to have to access Alba by bus, which limited the number of peeps heading there. Now, is better. The black run at Ciampac (under the new gondola) is one of my favourites.

dibl0c, CarveMan and Johnb007 like this.
  39. linked_recoveries

If you do the orange Sella Ronda (clockwise) on a day with good visibility take the time to lift up onto the top of the Sella Massif at Passo Pordoi. The orange Sella Ronda will drop you just a short walk (couple of hundred yards maybe) from the bottom of that cable car anyway.

NewTurns likes this.
  40. CarveMan

Add Tecno Alpin as no 3!

I didn't expect that sort of infrastructure and was blown away in the Dolomites. Seriously impressive.

Yep we did this, was great. Was jelly of the guided group in the cable car off for an adventure!

41. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

I’ve just spent some time in this fantastic area - we were based in Arabba. Sublime scenery with great piste skiing. Checked out the Marmolada glacier and museum, Hidden Valley/Cinque Torri area and all the villages around the Sella. We ate some lovely well priced food.
    There were no crowds - we didn’t wait in a lift line once.
    In the weeks previous we skied powder in Austria and checked out the hills around Aosta town. La Thuile/La Rosiere is very under rated (and has no crowds) on my opinion. Pretty fine scenery too.

Ian D, Lifes2good, NewTurns and 9 others like this.
  42. Johnb007

Johnb007 Addicted

Wow, fantastic. Thanks for the photos to make us jealous.

spunk72 likes this.
  43. linked_recoveries

For the 17/18 season Leitner put in a new double-stage gondola - the Piz Seteur - on the Plan di Gralba, designed by Pininfarina. It's a ten person gondola with heated leather (or at least leather-look) seats. Watch out for gondola no. zero which has four heated bucket seats surrounding a Champagne bucket [edit - maybe that should be a Prosecco bucket] on a stand in the middle - a tribute to one of the founding fathers of the cooperative that is now the expanded Dolomiti Superpass.

They certainly don't do things by halves.

#93 linked_recoveries, Jan 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
  44. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yes, well worth the effort. Amazing views!

45. CarveMan

Will check it out in a few weeks :thumbs:

dibl0c likes this.
  46. climberman

You suck!

La Thuile rates really high for awesome summer alpine MTB. Hosts the enduro world series often.

CarveMan likes this.
  47. CarveMan

Given this trip to Cham will be very different to previous, if the season doesn't get its skates on and we get a full warm March I'll see if the MTB places start renting bikes out. I saw something on Insta the other day for e-fat bikes, they look like a hoot!

48. climberman

Last few days looks like it’s starting to happen.

Well worth a try on some bikes, even just to see the bottom half of the valleys in a different light.

CarveMan likes this.
  49. Heinz

Heinz Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Women's world cup GS today in Kronplatz / San Vigilio and downhill in Cortina on saturday.

dibl0c likes this.
  50. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

We're Euroskiing on Monday starting in Innsbruck.
    The choice seems to be too much snow in Austria and not enough in Italy.

piolet, Jacko4650 and CarveMan like this.