1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Question Italy Jan 2019 question

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Ian D, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Final observation from me - travel SIM for phones. We went with the TIM tourist SIM, 30 days heaps of data and worked brilliantly across Italy. Paid before we went (saving 5 Euro per card) and picked up at the airport on arrival. We were online within minutes. Coverage was great and everything just worked.

UNTIL we went to Switzerland. The terms clearly stated that it worked in other European countries and Switzerland was listed and when we picked up the SIM they indicated it would "just work". Well as soon as we crossed the Swiss border it "just didn't". Didn't matter what I tried I couldn't get anything from that point on. TIM ignored my enquiry via facebook messenger and since it was only 2 days and we had free wifi at the hotel I didn't overly stress about it but frustrating that it didn't just work as everything promised.

2. XTREMO

XTREMO Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

@Ian D Interesting to see this post. I had a bit of a debacle last week. Will explain in a sec but first I think you need to remember that Switzerland is NOT in the EU and therefore Switz isn't covered by the recently revamped EU data roaming laws that stop price gouging and effectively make any EU sim function the same in all EU countries with no data roaming surcharges.

I landed in Geneva last Saturday morning, en route to Val D'Isere. Early flight. Left home at 4am. Brain wasn't functioning. When I landed in Geneva I turned my phone on and forgot to deactivate roaming. A few hours later I got texts from my German provider saying I'd hit my pre-agreed price cap of 59 EUR and therefore I could no longer roam. I realised that this had happened because I was in Switz. I should've waited until I'd crossed the border into France before using my roaming. Took a few painful days of me speaking (not such good) Deutsch to the provider's customer service centre to understand the charges though. I thought that perhaps they'd made a mistake as I'd used the free wifi in the terminal once I got inside and I didn't think my few minutes usage would have amounted to 59 EUR. I was wrtong. Apparently it cost .07 EUR for 10kb. Probably used up the 59 EUR sending a pic or two via whatsapp, likely within seconds of landing. Thank christ for the 59 EUR cap! Bill could have been astronomical without that. The customer service person told me that if they unblocked my roaming, I riske being charged the full amount of all data I'd used, rather than only being charged the capped amount. I opted not to do that. Luckily had a spare UK Tesco sim on me. £10 credit bought me 3GB of LTE data which was plenty.

To your situation. I've used TIM too. Also found it quick and easy. Their website is indeed confusing as it lists Switz as an "enabled country", but also clearly states that the roaming only works in EU countries (scroll down to "details and limitations"). Italians aren't sticklers for accuracy. In Germany, the company would probably get sued for the false info on their website.

General advice for others; since the new EU data laws were introduced, basically any EU sim that has enough data for your needs, is a good EU travel sim. If you're going to Switzerland though, you need to be more circumspect in choosing. The Uk Three "Go Roam" sim (used to be called "feel at home") is still a really good bet as it works all over the world, not just in the EU, and does in fact work in Switzerland. Details in this thread from last year

#152 XTREMO, Feb 11, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    CarveMan, Ian D and Jacko4650 like this.
  3. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Yep @XTREMO I saw Switzerland on their website and went from that.