1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Italy recommendations please

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Lifes2good, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

Colfosco is right near Corvara right?

2. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yep. Real close - can take a chair/gondola between the two.

Lifes2good likes this.
  3. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

We stayed at Garni La Dorada in Cofolsco. Have a look at that or a couple around there. Walking distance to small supermarket/s, not flashy, walking to bridge that goes down to main Gondola and you can ski back home.

Lifes2good likes this.
  4. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Can recommend Garni Flurida as well in Val Gardena. Location, location, location and great hosts (3 or summers ago mind you).

5. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

I stayed here in 2006 just after their rebuild . Very spacious for the money asked. Nice Ladin folks who gave us a discount price on the spot. We mostly just walked over the road, skied down to the T bar and up to Datercepies. Offers & Prices

6. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

That looks almost perfect except no washing machine/dryer. We will be there with kids for 10 days and will need to wash clothes frequently.

Sadie likes this.
  7. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

Lifes2good and Kletterer like this.
  8. Sadie

I did washing in the sink LOL

Lifes2good likes this.
  9. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I am planning a trip in September next year with my son. It will follow on from near 3 weeks with OG1 doing the old folks river cruise from Budapest to Amsterdam after some days in Prague. He and I will leave from Amsterdam and stop in Munich for a couple of days then to Bolzano for 4 days hiking in the Dolomites. After that the idea is to train it to Florence for 2 days (had 7 days there with OG1 a couple of years ago) then hike to Siena from San Gimignano over 4 days. Then we will head to Rome for 5 or 6 days (including visit to Pompeii and/or Heraclaneum, is I spelled that right) before heading home.

Still need to try out the idea to see if it will fit and cost it out.

One thing though is I reckon I should try to learn some basic Italian. Not just this trip (simple requests and pleasantries, reading maps etc) but having been retired a year now I need some intellectual challenge and hobby so why not?

Seems like there are various pathways for this such as short courses at TAFE etc or Dante Aleghre (?spelling). Any particular suggestions?

10. KL.

KL. One of Us

looks nice

Hyst and Kletterer like this.
  11. KL.

KL. One of Us

Check out the terrain at 1 minute 15

is it easy to get to and is accommodation easy to get, also?

12. KL.

KL. One of Us

sounds good

13. KL.

KL. One of Us

sounds good, also

14. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

Sounds like German would serve you better for this trip? In the Bolzano/Dolomiti area you will find many Italians speak German. Or maybe a combination of Italian and German. I make do with my high school German and the Italian I learnt at home from my parents. Sorry I can't help more. Anyway, your trip sounds wonderful.

oldgeezer likes this.
  15. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

That could work.....if I wanted to spend my entire holiday at the sink!LOL

16. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

Does it have laundry facilities? I can't get the website to work

17. Kletterer

Very easy to get to. Accom in Sand In Taufers ( Campo Tures) And you have the option of going to Kronplatz as well. Ahrntal valley is pristeen and still not very touristy. Go there but dont let anyone know how good it is. ;)

18. KL.

KL. One of Us

thanks, time for a closer look

19. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

I'd be heading for a two bed apartment in Corvara. Look for one in the southern end of town which is close to / walk to lifts and the supermarket. All the accommodation options in the north will require a bus service to get to the centre of the town.

Below is a map of Corvara. The map looks sideways, and it is. I've aligned it so north/south is oriented properly ... or as properly as I can get it. Colfosco is out of sight at top left - north west of Corvara at the end of the horizontal Borest gondola. The local Alta Badia ski region is off to the right / east. The town is right on the Sella Ronda so you have access to just an untold number of lifts and valleys and areas and slopes and runs and rifugio. You'll ski all day and you won't need to do the same lift or slope twice.

Down the bottom there, just above the wiggly road, is the middle of town. There are a number of apartments nearby - sort of in between the two southernmost lifts. I'll send you a PM with some residence names I jotted down earlier this year. They'd be perfect. Not sure of the rates, but they're self-catered places and they'd work nicely. The real trick will be to find them online for booking.

Val Gardena would be the other obvious choice. Bigger town, a bit lower in its valley, a lot more accommodation options. I've no experience in that town, I've just zoomed through (as you do) so I'll defer to anyone else who's been there.

Colfosco is also right on the Sella Ronda but I'm not sure it has a supermarket. I'm happy to be corrected though. [edit - higher up the page someone says there is a supermarket there]

#69 linked_recoveries, Aug 29, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Lifes2good likes this.
  20. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

We stayed in Val di Fassa last year. It was the more budget option with linkage to Sella Ronda but it does mean an extra couple of lifts & commute runs to access, so combined return time it didn't leave us as much time to explore the ski fields on the opposite diagonal of the Sella loop. I think next time round we'd stay in one of the villages within Sella Ronda itself.

We particularly enjoyed skiing around Marmolada Glacier. There is also a war museum to visit there near the top, with some fascinating history on alpine battlegrounds of WWI.

No mention of the Hidden Valley? Quite a novel experience - skiing past frozen waterfalls and eventually finishing with a horse rope tow

[​IMG]

Sadie and Lifes2good like this.
  21. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

that's the area below Lagazuoi?

22. linked_recoveries

That's right. Bus from downtown Corvara to the Falzarego Pass (top left in the below trail map) or you can ski over to Armentarola on the far side of the Alta Badia ski area and catch a mini bus / taxi from there. Then a cable car up to Lagazuoi from the Falzarego Pass. Then a long ski down what's known as the 'hidden valley'. There's a rifugio called Scotoni Hutte on the way down. It's a grill restaurant - smells great, although we've never eaten there. At the bottom you have a kilometre (or so) of flat valley floor to get back to Armentarola. Around thirty people can latch onto ropes behind a horse-drawn sleigh and get pulled to Armentarola. Costs two euro. It's either that or skate / walk along the valley floor. Bargain.

https://www.altabadia.org/en/winter-holidays/italian-alps/lagazuoi-circuit.html

#72 linked_recoveries, Aug 30, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2018
    Lifes2good likes this.
  23. linked_recoveries

Here's a shot I have on my laptop at work entitled 'Corvara - Skiing into Town'

24. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

yep - I stayed at Rifugio Lagazuoi evernight - a must-do - and skied down next day
    my then-d12 person a at the frozen waterfall

after various other ski trips, this is the one she wants to do again

Kletterer, Lifes2good and Shoey like this.
  25. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

Indeed. The name Lagazuoi didn't recur to me till now (I'm terrible with Italian Alps place names, for some reason, vs French ones..). We went there as a day-out excursion with our ski operator : morning in Cortina and then did the Hidden Valley in the afternoon and coach pickup after the horse tow.

I was given similar instructions from a colleague on how to get to Lagazuoi from Sella Ronda (ski + bus etc, as above) but in the end just gave up and went with the excursion option especially since after Hidden Valley its one way bus out only.

26. linked_recoveries

The horse tow drops you at Armentarola, and you skate a hundred yards or so (around the hotel, through some trees, alongside a creek, over a flat bridge) to a poma which lifts you up into the hills of Alta Badia. From the top of the poma you traverse around the hill to the gondola at San Cassiano, which is a little further down valley. From there you're free to ski on.

[edit - then you get lost in the maze of lifts in Alta Badia, but that's another story]

27. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

You are missing the point, "Shoey" started out of Cortina. :whistle:

[edit - then you get lost in the maze of lifts in Alta Badia, but that's another story][/QUOTE]

You tell me, we have all done that I think.:headbang:

Sadie likes this.
  28. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

You tell me, we have all done that I think.:headbang:[/QUOTE]

Indeed, and our accommodation was in Fassa. So we figured it would be a stretch to go via own means ski+public transport roundtrip. We actually went down the wrong way in the cable car up Lagazuoi and got a bit panicky as it was around 3 or 4pm and Hidden Valley is a one way run, and we ended up just speeding through it. I really wished to have stopped at the waterfall to take more photos as there was even an ice climber!

29. cin

cin Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

barolo and barbaresco at night

30. RTL

RTL Hard Yards

Thumbs up to Val Gardena

31. Sadie

There are two supermarkets in Colfosco.

We did the horse thing too. Being snowboarders, we got to ride in the sleigh

32. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

Now that we have finished skiing in Oz this year I am turning my attention to Italy again.

Friends have been recommended San Cassiano as a base, though I'm not sure why. Looking at maps of the area I feel that Corvara/Colfosco would be better options for us. Anyone aware of why San Cassiano would be 'highly recommended'?

33. CarveMan

CarveMan Pool Room Ski Pass: Gold

Treading carefully here, but before you listen to friends' recommendations I'd do some work qualifying their overseas skiing experience.

It was classic here on the forums years ago: "OMFG Whistler is the best ski resort in the world" "Where have you skied overseas?" "Whistler!!!!"

Fortunately the forums have since been graced with members like @Heinz and @Zeroz who have seriously impressive travel resumes.

Just because friends had a good time somewhere, and let's be honest Australian skiers are pretty easily impressed, doesn't necessarily mean that it's the best place to go, or suits your requirements. @Legs Akimbo made a quip a little while ago that I use as my forum signature...,

34. Hyst

Most resorts around Sella are good - all depends on what your are looking for. :whistle:

Just booked - Hotel Meisules in feb. - the reason - we are old and want som comfort, nice view and we have one skier along who need blues and easy access to lifts. We others can have our overnight trips. (and price was good)! :thumbs:

No need for hard partying or after ski events - just a beer will do - so staying away from the town areas.

And being a bit nasty::evil:
    https://www.tripadvisor.dk/Hotel_Re...ml#photos;aggregationId=&albumid=101&filter=7

#84 Hyst, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    Lifes2good likes this.
  35. linked_recoveries

San Cassiano is a very pretty village on the other side of the Alta Badia hills from Corvara. Gets a lot of sun. Rene Crazzolara (Thredbo instructor) is from there.

One gondola - the Piz Sorega - takes you up into the Alta Badia region and from there you carry on. Ski back to the gondola station at day's end and get yourself back home in some manner. Careful how far from that gondola you might look to stay - you might end up with a long walk.

San Cassiano will give you access to Alta Badia, the Sella Ronda (once you get across to Corvara), La Villa, Badia/Pedraces further down the valley and Armentarola, where taxis / buses can take you up to Passo Falzarego / Lagazuoi and over the pass to Cortina d'Ampezzo / Cinque Torri. The Marmolada Glacier is also within reach.

From San Cassiano you can ski virtually everything you can ski from Corvara, you're just going to be spending time to get over to Corvara each morning, and back again, if that's the direction you're going. It won't stop you doing the Sella Ronda, for instance, and you're actually closer to some parts (e.g. La Villa) but you'll lose 45 minutes each way coming and going from Corvara. Still, it's a nice ski, once you work out the maze of lifts in the Alta Badia hills, and there's lots to do in the surrounding areas. You'll have a full agenda for a week no problem.

On the other hand, San Cassiano is likely a similar price to Corvara (I've no idea what the prices are, but I've heard it can be a bit exclusive) and I imagine the nightlife and choice of restaurants etc. are a couple of notches less.

Staying on the far side of Alta Badia those extra few minutes will likely lose you the ability to ski to some great areas like Seceda (and restaurant Val d'Anna above Ortisei, aka Strudel Land), or the wonderful Ciampac / Buffaure region with enough time to eat lunch and return before stumps. Those areas are on the other side of the Sella, and beyond. Depends how fast you ski (and eat) of course, but you need to factor in at least one wrong lift unless you know the way.

For mine Corvara gives you everything San Cassiano can provide plus a bit more besides.

Sadie, Jacko4650 and Lifes2good like this.
  36. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

37. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

The recommendation came from a local that our friends met in Venice last week, but I suspect it was about the accommodation rather than the location.

Based on what linked_recoveries said above I think Corvara or Colfosco will suit us better.

The kids will be in some kind of ski school most days so we need that to be easy.

38. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu One of Us

Just on Corvara, doing some on-line research on accommodation options indicates that half-board (breakfast and dinner) is the only option for most places. Kind of limits going out and experiencing different eating.

I haven't contacted any of the places but are they willing to reduce the tariff if you want breakfast only? Skiing Italy newbie here.

39. linked_recoveries

There's a good selection of places that provide brekkie only. Try Garni Raetia. That's a ski-in option, with a short walk to lifts each morning.

shabu_shabu likes this.
  40. linked_recoveries

Attached is a large scale trail / lift map of the Sella region. This'll help flesh out my earlier post.

The Alta Badia region is circled in yellow, with San Cassiano situated on the far right of that circle. The Sella Ronda is the green circle. You can see Corvara is within the yellow circle, and on the green circle. It represents the Alta Badia 'corner' of the Sella Ronda, along with Colfosco next door. From San Cassiano you need to cross Alta Badia to begin the Sella Ronda. That's two lifts (from memory) and a looong, shallow schuss down the hill to reach Corvara each day.

To give you a sense of scale, the whole image is about 40km square. Lift time for one lap of the Sella Ronda (either direction) is around two hours. If you hit first lifts, ski very quickly, and don't waste much time over lunch you could do the Sella twice in one day. That's if everyone is shifting along with a bit of intent.

Armentarola is on the right edge of the yellow circle, next to San Cassiano. From there you can get a ride up to the Passo Falzarego to reach Lagazuoi, or go over the pass and down into Cortina, both of which are just off the right edge of this image. Skiing Cortina for a day then getting a bus back is a viable option from Alta Badia.

The Marmolada Glacier is lower right. Easily accessed from anywhere in Alta Badia. There and back in a day - easy.

Seceda is the blue circle. It's accessed from the bottom of the World Cup downhill run in the Val Gardena / Santa Cristina region. You take a light rail trip up the hill to access that area, and come back the same way on return. Val 'd'Anna is most of the way down the run into Ortisei.

Ciampac / Buffaure is the red circle at lower left, and is accessed from Alba. You can ski all the way to Pozza di Fassa and back. You used to have to take a bus to get to Alba, but they've installed a new cable car between Alba and the Belvedere ski area at Passo Pordoi - it's new enough that it doesn't show on this map.

Lifes2good and shabu_shabu like this.
  41. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

@linked_recoveries want to come along with us and be our guide? Do you speak Italian?

42. Hyst

Google map or Dolomite superski is very slow in updating new lifts, so the new Alba lift and the crossing over Arabba are not on after quite some years.
    Try http://www.opensnowmap.org.

Many B&B remember Saturday -Saturday or Sunday - Sunday they do not wamt to spoil the weeks.
    https://www.altabadia.org/en/hotel-...dolomites/hotel-accommodation-alta-badia.html

And remember the first world war ski trip.
    https://issuu.com/altabadia/docs/erster-weltkrieg-grande-guerra
    (sorry couldn't find the right link just now)

Lifes2good and shabu_shabu like this.
  43. linked_recoveries

You'll be fine. Everything is very well signposted. Signs everywhere. Sella Ronda: clockwise = orange (i.e. a clockwork orange) whilst anti-clockwise = green.

44. shabu_shabu

shabu_shabu One of Us

Thanks for the accommodation link. I now feel a bit embarrassed asking the original question.

45. Hyst

Attached Files:

46. Hyst

For lunch there are 3 places I would advice (there are for shure many more, but....)

http://www.fornata.it/mountain-hut/lodge-uetia-de-bioch.htm Alta Badia area

Rifugio Friedrich August Hütte Campetello area (often af nice dog at the local lift )

http://www.troier.com/en/ Seceda - St. Christina (remember the underground)

Malga Schgaguler Schwaige on Seiser Alm
    (Seiser Alm is for rich old people - I am neither yet LOL).

For all of them - come early or very late - otherwise no place for you.

47. Kletterer

Troier on Seceda :thumbs: great spot.

48. Hyst

The old "Wirt" I think is retiring - but his one son is learning quickly. (not that big yet :D).

Will go this northern winter.

Nice to be of the beaten track.

Kletterer likes this.
  49. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Staying in Colfosco for a week in mid January 2019, spending a month in total winding our way north from Rome (where we will be for New Years). Seriously looking forward to it!

Sadie and Lifes2good like this.
  50. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

Will look forward to the trip report and your thoughts on colfosco as a base