1. SPECIAL NOTE TO NEW REGISTRATIONS

If you recently registered and have not received a confirmation email - please check your 'Spam or Junk' folders. Especially if your email is Hotmail. More help with confirmation issues

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice
  2. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Italy recommendations please

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Lifes2good, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Requirements for accom were:
    - on Sella Ronda
    - ski in ski out
    - same side as the glacier as want to visit the WWI museum and so while it didn't have to be next to it we didn't want it on the opposite side of the loop - should be an easy day trip from where we are with some great skiing there and back.
    - not a big motel style accom, wanted smaller family run lodge with some atmosphere.

Lifes2good likes this.
  2. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

The below shot shows the view from Utia Bioch (not my photo). It's directly on the main path when skiing from San Cassiano over to Corvara. The Marmolada Glacier is just below the saw-tooth ridge on the skyline above the two ladies at left of shot. You can ski there and back in a few hours.

I would add Utia Punta Trieste and Utia Bamby into my all-time faves in that same area.

The Rifugio Troier is now going on my list of places to visit.

Johnb007 and Hyst like this.
  3. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

But very different from the Utia Bioch! :whistle:

Thanks for other places - will have a look in feb.

4. ttn

ttn Hard Yards

@Ian - we booked our accom in Passo Gardena. Is that easy for access to WWI museum?

5. Ian D

A bit further than us @ttn so definitely out of your local ski area, will need a super pass to ski around to it but easily doable.

ttn likes this.
  6. Hyst

The opposite side of the Sella Ronda, but has you start out at the almost highest pass (Passo Gardean - between Val Gardena and the Alta Badia valley) there should be no problem. Just remember to get of the middel station going up from Arabba.

(was just wondering why you wrote "in Passo Gardena"?)

Google maps shows everything:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/M...bff78657aa607dd!8m2!3d46.4345444!4d11.8499377

And don't do it on a week-end as the gondola from Malga Ciapela will have waiting time.
    From Arabba to Malga Ciapela expect some older very slow lifts.

ttn likes this.
  7. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

I did Dante Alighieri for several months about 15 years ago, followed by a university Italian 1 course
    the former was great for conversation, the latter good for reading, grammar and cultural stuff
    the holiday plan looks great
    I guess I’d prefer longer in each place but that’s not always possible
    4 days is a slow trip between Siena and San Giminiano, or is that the point?

8. ttn

ttn Hard Yards

Not sure what you meant but the hotel we booked is in the Passo Gardena location according to the address

9. Hyst

Passo Gardena is the high pass between 2 valleys. There is no town or village. This is the webcam is a bit above Passo Gardena:

https://www.valgardena.it/en/webcams/dantercepies-panocam/
    (you can choose a winter date in the "Aviche" and see the street).

http://hotelcir.com/ ?
    or
    http://www.rifugiofrara.it/it/index.html ?

A real ski in/out place in winter - if you come by car have winter gear along.

However the street from Plan de Grabla up to Passo Gardena is in fact called Passo Gardena - so it is possible you are staying near Plan de Grabla:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/R...m1!1s2018-11-17!8m2!3d46.5497565!4d11.8087725

https://www.chalet-gerard.com/it/ ?

In that case you ar close to Selva Val Gardena / Wolkenstein. (a bit oposite the Marmolada Museum WWI).

ttn likes this.
  10. linked_recoveries

The museum is doable from there although you'll need to get going early and stay conscious of the time required for your return trip.

We've managed to ski the Marmolada Glacier from Campitello on past occasions, uploading on Campitello's first cable car. If we keep skiing at a reasonable pace without any noticeable delays that gives us time to stop for hot choccies at the mid-station of the Marmolada cable car plus a side trip (in the wrong direction) for a decent lunch. We tend not to spend much time in the museum though. On our latest trip we just made last lifts after some members became absorbed watching a video in the museum and delayed us around 40 minutes.

The view from the top. Try to pick a day with nice viewing weather.

Reasonable green/blue skiing all the way, although there's an awful, narrow, icy, crowded section crossing over the saddle - the Passo Padon - when returning to Arabba in the afternoon. The best skier in the world could get taken out by a stranger on that run, although it's only a few hundred yards. Just stand to one side and wait for a gap in traffic.

#110 linked_recoveries, Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Kletterer and ttn like this.
  11. Hyst

If you look just now at the webcam above it is very beautiful.

12. ttn

ttn Hard Yards

Thank you Hyst and can see the booked hotel on the panocam. Looking forward to the day

13. ttn

ttn Hard Yards

Thank you. Plan to ski the Sella loop for the first two days to get familiar with the orange and green runs before heading to the museum

14. Hyst

:thumbs:

15. Hyst

I would choose the clockwise (orange) tour to reach Arabba. push on the Marmolada and may be even the same way back.

Make as well a trip to Lagazuoi - the 5 torri and return via the hidden valley. And go to the Seiser Alm (Alpe di Siusi) for the nature by Monte Pana. Bus or by returning by the Monte Pana bus (rather than many Sella Ronda tours).

Slide Sideways likes this.
  16. Hyst

Kletterer and Ian D like this.
  17. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Molto bene.

18. Hyst

19. Sbooker

Sbooker One of Us

They are spectacular shots. I'll be checking them regularly as I'm due to be there (providing they have snow) on January 5th for a week. Can't wait.

20. linked_recoveries

Couple of trips back we were literally blown off the ridge on the pass at the top of the Dantercepies lift - a narrow gap between the top station and the rifugio. Slid about fifty yards down the hill to get out of the gale and turned around to look. The wind was ripping chunks of wind slab off the surface of the snowpack along the ridge (ice frisbees) and flinging them down the hill at us. That wasn't so fun.

Edit - here's a shot below from relative safety a bit further down the slope. I was trying to snap one of the chunks as it flew down the piste but my hand got cold and I only managed to catch a couple in the air at top left.

The sign at left indicates the limit of the ski pass for Alta Badia. That pass doesn't work for the lift in the distance as it takes you up to the ridge and therefore into the next valley. The Dolomiti Superpass works everywhere.

#120 linked_recoveries, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  21. Elinor

Elinor Hard Yards Ski Pass: Gold

Hi Lifes2good -
    I can definitely recommend something good for you - in northern Italy. Jane and David Stanton are a British couple who run a small but successful business (JDSki ) based in the Aosta Valley. They arrange a package ski holiday which is terrific and excellent value, for families, small groups and solo skiers (like me). You'll see from their website that they provide a full service, including Bed and breakfast daily in their chalet: 3-course dinners 3 nights/week, airport transfers, help in arranging gear hire and lift tickets, and free ski instruction and guiding, if desired. Both are BASI-certified ski instructors. Jane and David also offer apartment hire, for those who want to be self-catering.
    Several times I have stayed and skied with them, and have nothing but praise for their service - truly friendly and professional.
    The Pila ski resort is a wonderful area for all levels of skier, and has ski school for kids and adults, if that's wanted. Another option that's available if the guests want it, is skiing at other nearby ski fields.

I hope that helps. Do check out their website ( http://www.jdski.com ). :)

Lifes2good likes this.
  22. LDJ

LDJ One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

my dad has stayed with them a couple of times and said it was great so thumbs up from me too

23. Kletterer

Mentioned it previously but Italys best kept secret imo is Sand In Taufers ( Campo Tures) with local resorts Speikboden and Klausberg. Kronplatz is 1.25 hours drive. Good vert at the Speik and brilliant offpiste that makes you want to come back for more. Worth a weeks stay in a charming town that has super cheap rates. Here is an example 3 stars with wellness and yes that says 2019 Prices bed and breakfast - Garni Zimmerhofer Sand in Taufers, South Tyrol - Garni Zimmerhofer Sand in Taufers. Disclaimer- mum has an uncle that owns a Hotel here but this is not it.

ponyrider likes this.
  24. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Wow. That is good value and given your skiing travels, I'm going to save that link. Thanks

person s and Kletterer like this.
  25. Kletterer

The offpiste terrain is as good as it gets if my memory is correct. Skiers right of chair 5 with a long traverse and the tree skiing at Klausberg are fantastic.

26. GEmallia

GEmallia First Runs

skiing in the italian dolomites sounds great! I love the area around "drei Zinnen" - such a picturesque landscape. Espescially for children there is plenty of programme and they have the possibility to learn to ski in a playful way with many other kids. But skischools are offerting both, private and group lessons. You can book most of them over https://www.checkyeti.com/

I hope you enjoy your holiday and wish you the best time.

27. linked_recoveries

FWIW here is a shot of Utia Bamby. Right in the thick of the Alta Badia hills.

Hyst likes this.
  28. Zeroz

Zeroz A Local Ski Pass: Gold

Monterosa has got the early season snow and hopefully that continues as we are going to Alagna.
    Tried 4 times before, but had to change plans as Alagna snow conditions were not good. But late Jan 2019!

Before that, I think we will head to Arabba. I'm kind of obsessed with skiing the "canales " aka couloirs/chutes.
    Accom is easy. But do you need a car in Arabba? Is there a good reason to have one, or not?

CarveMan likes this.
  29. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator

Urghhh I am getting extremely jealous. I want to go back.

Kletterer and Jacko4650 like this.
  30. Sadie

@Ian D where are you staying in Colfosco?

31. Ian D

A small private lodge that is ski in ski out uphill of the road bridge for the Colfosco lift. Can't remember the name at the moment. Do you want the actual name?

32. Sadie

Nice. It will be good location. Not far from the little supermarket. Nice hill to walk up ha ha

33. linked_recoveries

Nice spot. On this map you'll be in the area of the blue parking symbol, just above "Colfosco". Ski over the road to start your day, then go left (to Corvara), right (towards the Passo Gardena) or back up into the runs above Colfosco.

Sadie likes this.
  34. Sadie

I’m still jealous. I loved Colfosco.

Kletterer likes this.
  35. benzerknees

benzerknees Hard Yards

La Thuile, Aosta Valley...
    If you're on a tight budget..you can stay here, with it's old world charm
    or simply leave the kids here to enjoy there own company:

person s likes this.
  36. ponyrider

ponyrider Addicted

37. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

Happy New Year everyone! Now it is 2019 I can say this year is our trip to Europe even though skiing will be next year. Excitement plus!

Some of you must be in Italy now and other have snow trips coming up soon - I hope you will post in here to report on how it all went.

We have decided based on the discussion in this thread to stay in Corvara. I have reached out to the mob that @linked_recoveries has mentioned (www.dolomitesskitours.com.au) as it looks like they have a good accommodation option for us in the southern end of town and they do transfers from Bolzano which is convenient for us. Have worked out what lift passes, lessons for the kids and rental gear we will need.

Thanks again for all the advice in this thread, I keep reading back over it to focus on various aspects such as where to ski, eat etc.

oldgeezer likes this.
  38. linked_recoveries

Nice one. Feel free to get in touch with any questions you might have.

Mario and his team at DST also pick up people from the Venice (Marco Polo) airport if that's convenient for you. We usually arrive on a Friday and spend one night in Venice (or arrive earlier and spend a few more) then get picked up for a Saturday start. Dropped back to the airport at the end.

#138 linked_recoveries, Jan 1, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 3, 2019
    person s likes this.
  39. person s

I skied with DST in early 2004 - great to see they’re still going

40. BoofHead

BoofHead One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Will look forward to some trip reports.
    My grand plan is to take 2020 off and spend some time in Europe having never been. We had decided on skiing in the Dolomites area and still plan on doing so but as luck would have it, we’ve been given the use of an apartment in Abruzzo. We will establish a base in Francavilla il Mare and ski the Abruzzo hills and look at spending time up North as well.

41. linked_recoveries

Flourishing, in fact. Word of mouth is growing the business nicely. Everyone who skis there just raves about the place, and they tend to come back again and again. They come for the views, the food, the snow, the food, the variety of runs, the food, the people, the food, the infrastructure, the low costs (relative to other places) ... did I mention the food?

We extended our lift ticket for a third week last year. The extra seven days on our pass cost just AUD$18 per day. The prices just drop away after a couple of weeks. Mario reckons you need to ski 29 days before a season pass makes sense.

At this stage we're missing a bunch of friends who are skiing there this year, but we're planning to head back again next year.

Lifes2good and Jacko4650 like this.
  42. linked_recoveries

The runs either side of the valley above Colfosco are a couple of my favourites. There's a fantastic view of the Val Mesdi and Corvara from the rifugio in the middle of the red run - Rifugio Utia Forcelles.

Sadie likes this.
  43. person s

sounds like a challenge
    word of mouth: a friend of mine studied with Mario a long time ago and told me about a guided ski tour business he was setting up
    we were going to do it as a 50th birthday thing, but she had marital issues and couldn’t do it
    then my step-relos skied with DST early 2000s and raved about it, despite step-bro tearing his ACL
    so it was an easy decision when I finally went with then-d12 person a, almost 15 years ago to the day

44. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

I've hit a snag. Its quite hard to get accommodation in Corvara for 8 people for almost 2 weeks. Much of it is booked by return customers and they don't open it up to new bookings until now-ish, at which point we are finding it hard to get anything suitable (self-contained, preferably ski in-out, near town etc).

Mario at Dolomite Ski Tours unfortunately has come back to us saying they can only find 1 week's accommodation for us, not 2.

So, I'm after ideas for another good (maybe bigger) town preferably on the Sella Ronda, so I can keep searching.

Val Gardena? San Cassiano? Give up on the Sella Ronda idea?

45. Hyst

Selva is the place if you want to be on the Sella, but Canazei / Alba is a cheaper choice and with good access as well.
    Lots of apartment in Canazei / Alba even one British catered Chalet .

46. linked_recoveries

Val Gardena is the only town that is definitely bigger than Corvara. Not sure about Canazei though - might be a close match.

Towns directly on the Sella Ronda, heading west from Corvara, are Colfosco, Val Gardena and Arabba.

Towns that are one lift ride to the Sella Ronda are Santa Cristina (next to Val Gardena, gondola up and ski down), Campitello (cable car up and down), Canazei (gondola up, ski down in good seasons) and Alba (cable car up and down). The last three have quick access to the Belvedere area.

Alba might be a good option as the cable car is relatively new. Not sure everyone has caught up with the new access - it used to require a bus ride to get to and from the town. You can also go exploring in the other direction, going up into the Ciampac / Buffaure region. The village stretches out along the road though, so check where your accommodation is relative to the lift.

Santa Cristina will give you quick access to Val Gardena, and may well be a little cheaper than Val Gardena itself.

La Villa, San Cassiano and Armentarola are on the other side of the Alta Badia region (above Corvara) and you'll need to allow some time to get to the Sella Ronda in the morning and back again in the afternoons if that's where you're heading.

Lifes2good, Jacko4650 and Hyst like this.
  47. Powdercat

Powdercat Hard Yards

Gday linked.

Possibility may be able to catch a few days in Dolomites, next year (in theory, based north of Milan).

Am thinking freeway up, then turnoff for Ortesei and ski afternoon there (in the scenic flatland).

Then on each of the following successive two days, rather than do full Sella Ronda, head out (from Ortesei) toward La Villa and back on the first day, and next day to Arabba/Marmoloda ie like successive prongs of bulls horns, rather than full circuit.

Based on your experience, do you think that a reasonable, good or bad plan? We should be able to 'pick' our weather window.

Any suggestions welcome. Keen not to overdo the driving from Milan/Como.

Cheers

48. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Yes, good strategy as "doing the circuit" of the Sella Ronda means crowds, whereas exploring different areas means you can avoid the crowds. The area is so vast, try to remember that you are not missing anything special by skiing it all, rather find runs and areas that suit you and enjoy them. Getting to places and back in the Dolomites is half the fun - piste ski touring if you like and if you enjoy the odd drop and a good feed there are so many on-piste restaurants to tickle your fancy; afterwhich you might enjoy some pissed ski touring! If staying at Ortesei, the area directly above you is by no means challenging or steep but it is very extensive. I hope the snow is good and the weather kind - you will enjoy it irrespective!

linked_recoveries likes this.
  49. Kletterer

Daily from Milan ? Thats a long drive for day tripping.

Hyst likes this.
  50. Powdercat

Powdercat Hard Yards

Thanks Jacko, appreciated.

Klet - plan would be to stay 2 or 3 nights in Ortesei.

Kletterer likes this.