1. There's more to this forum than meets the eye!

We have a vibrant community here conversing about all sorts of non-snow topics such as music, sport, politics and technology. Simply register to reveal all our Après topics or continue browsing and reading as a guest.

NOTE: This notice may be closed.

Dismiss Notice

Italy recommendations please

Discussion in 'Europe' started by Lifes2good, Apr 27, 2018.

1. linked_recoveries

linked_recoveries One of Us

Hi there.

Firstly, depending on where you're staying north of Milan I would expect there are great ski areas much closer than the Dolomites.

From Ortisei it's quite a trip to get to La Villa, and a bit of a criss cross use of various areas. You'll lift up to Seceda, ski down to the funicular (that's a great run), take the train down to Santa Cristina, a short walk to the gondola station, two lifts to the top of Ciampinoi, turn around and ski back down to Val Gardena, walk across the road bridge, short little lift, ski down to the Dantercepies gondola, long gondola up to the Passo Gardena, long shallow schuss down to Colfosco, horizontal Borest lift to get to Corvara, walk across town to the Col Alt gondola on the other side of Corvara, lift up into the Alta Badia hills. Then you have to ski over Alta Badia to get to the Gran Risa run which takes you down to La Villa - either the black run or the red run - the black one is the World Cup GS course which is an iconic run. You can continue on further up the valley towards Badia / Pedraces but it will depend on how you're travelling, and how important lunch is to your wellbeing, as to whether it's worthwhile. It's a long way back from there.

Here's an early morning view from the top of Seceda with Val Gardena in the sunlit valley below.

From Ortisei it's also a decent day trip to get to Arabba and back - probably completing the Sella Ronda along the way. Heading further afield to ski the Marmolada might be possible although I wouldn't want to swear that's true. You'd need to hit first lifts [edit - in fact you'd be better off hopping the first morning bus to Val Gardena to save time] the whole group would need to be skiing quite fast and you're not going to be stopping for any length of time along the way. That's a very long day, and (I expect) not a destination that gets recommended when you're staying in Ortisei. At least it's an easy bus ride back to Ortisei from Val Gardena if you get stranded on the way back. In fact that's probably a better plan.

#151 linked_recoveries, Apr 14, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Hyst likes this.
  2. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

That's a really, really good, detailed description on just how much "ski travelling" is involved in getting from Ortesei to those other areas. To ski Marmolada is a full day trip IMO. To enjoy it fully, half the battle is getting there and back while lifts are open. It would be a challenge from Ortesei but doing a clockwise Sella Ronda might be incidental in getting home, even if lifts stop if you can make it to Passo Sella before last lifts as its all downhill to Selva and then easy buses down to Ortesei from there. It was one of my favourite late-day runs - all green from memory but the piste ends at one of the pubs in Val Gardena (tick). If you get to Passo Sella earlier, there are one or two lift options up to Ciampinoi which then provides runs down to Ortisei.

3. Powdercat

Powdercat Hard Yards

Hi Linked and Jacko, much appreciated, that is very helpful.

Sounds like our expectations will be better satisfied if we look to get more familiar with and enjoy the local Val Gardena terrain, rather than pushing further afield on this visit. One more question, if you might be able to help with?

Am anticipating (hoping) Ortesei would have feel or a mountain town, rather than ski resort, but an attractive interesting one. Are either of you familar enough with Ortesei to comment? Not concerned by distance from accom to lift, or Ortesei's flat local terrain - somewhat inspired by photo up there in a mag once - as pretty a mountain scene as I can recall. Any unexpected disappointment in Ortesei maybe? eg unexpectedly touristy etc

Cheers

4. Powdercat

Powdercat Hard Yards

Actually, sounds like half day PM above Ortesei, next day Val Gardena, then on 3rd morning we can make the call on whether we like it locally to much to both going further, or alternatively race as far as we can get (and enjoy your 'home tip' Jacko!)

Muchos gracious - whoops wrong lingo - have to practice

5. linked_recoveries

I've not spent any time in Ortisei other than grabbing the gondola at the bottom after lunch at Val d'Anna. The whole of the village sits in a very pretty valley surrounded by mountains. I doubt you'll be disappointed - it looks amazing.

I can't quite work out if this first one is a photo (that's been hit with a slight filter afterwards) or a picture postcard.

6. linked_recoveries

I'd say the Val Gardena area is a full day. The Sella Ronda will be not quite a full day if you wish to tick that box. The Compaccio region south west of town has never been recommended to me as being worth the trip. Extra time is required to get there (for anyone who's not staying in Ortisei) just to ski a few easy blue cruisers.

7. gaz35

gaz35 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

ortesei have the feel of a mountain town rather than a ski resort. Yes would agree with that. Very beautiful area. We stayed at Hotel Digon - highly recommend

8. Kletterer

Kletterer Thredbo Doughnut Tragic Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

Have a ski down to the bottom of Chair 21 and continue down the quaint trail to the base of the Mont De Seura lift. Its a nice quiet run for when its busy elsewhwere.

9. Jacko4650

Jacko4650 One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Ortesei is nice; at the bottom of a big valley. It stretches out lengthways along the valley floor. Lots of hotels and quite touristy in the middle of winter with skiers and their families; busy but not crazy. You shouldn't be disappointed.

Lifes2good and linked_recoveries like this.
  10. Powdercat

Powdercat Hard Yards

Linked, that is a stunning photo, think you may have inserted since I first read?

Many thanks to you, and thanks Jacko, Gaz, Kletterer too. All great info, quite something to look forward to (9 mths worth!)

Cheers
    PC

11. linked_recoveries

Yes, I do that sometimes. I'll jot down a post on here, realise I have a photo at home, then edit my post and load it up afterwards.

The Seceda photo above is pretty early in the morning, but we'd already hit the first cable car from Campitello, little run, then another lift to get to Passo Sella, then a long schuss down to the cable car on Plan de Gralba, been lifted up, short steep run, double chair to get to the Ciampinoi ridge, fanged down the Santa Cristina WC downhill course (that's fun) to get to the underground funicular, Col Raiser, short little scoot to the next chair, then a chair to the summit of Seceda. That's a hectic morning, but you're certainly getting places.

Here's the view from Seceda from a bit lower down. This is a shot from 2015. It's a terrific run, funneling almost the whole hill into one final run down to the funicular. I've only ever zoomed down here from top to bottom, but the area would support a half day of skiing easily - probably a full day since the run down to Ortisei is worth doing again and again. Left of shot is the Sella Massif, right of shot is the Sassolungo / Langkofel (long rock) above Campitello.

#161 linked_recoveries, Apr 19, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 19, 2019
    Kletterer likes this.
  12. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

I am looking forward to staying in Selva val Gardena and the Sella Ronda with my son. Trouble is it will be at the end of September. About 20km I understand it, maybe 7hrs.

13. Hyst

Hyst Enjoyer Ski Pass: Gold

Hike or bike?
    7 hour must be bike?
    Great area for hiking - look at Rosengarten and Sasso Longo Sasso platto as well.
    You can hike in the gap between them.
    Sorry no more time now wife wants up into the snow.

14. oldgeezer

oldgeezer One of Us Ski Pass: Silver

Wishful thinking on my part linking to a memory of Sellaronda, what I'd dreamed of doing years ago on skis but never managed. Never got it out of my mind.

Anyway I rechecked the self guided doc and it is the Mt Sassolungo and Mt Sasso Piatto round tour!

We have four nights at Hotel Welponer. Other hikes are from Ortisei (lift up to Seceda Bergstation) back to hotel and next day lift up to Mt Seuc and back to hotel.

A lot of work to come to get fit for it.

Hyst and Kletterer like this.
  15. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

@linked_recoveries - help please!

Corvara and Val Gardena are looking like they are already heavily booked up (unless we want to pay $20k+ for our accom - we don't!)

So where to look next - Cervinia? Ortesei? La Villa? Colfosco?

We wanted somewhere as close to ski in/out as possible and also walking distance to shops/restaurants.

16. person s

person s Old n' Crusty Ski Pass: Gold

Campitello and Canazei aren’t ski-in/out but are both close to big gondolas

Hyst and Lifes2good like this.
  17. Kletterer

18. Kletterer

19. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

20. linked_recoveries

Try Colfosco first. That’s the closest fit for what you’re trying to achieve. It’s on the Sella Ronda, quick access to both Alta Badia and the areas around Val Gardena / Santa Cristina, you can make it to most places and back in a day ( including the Marmolada), couple of supermarkets in town, gear hire places, etc.

Arabba is also on the Sella Ronda. Probably an equivalent price there however.

If that falls through we’ll have to think again. La Villa and San Cassiano are on the far side of the Alta Badia Hills. Not so bad but it shortens your day as you ski to and from the villages to get places. San Cassiano also has a bit of an up-market reputation so prices may be ‘up there’

I’m surprised you’re finding the place booked out this early. Perhaps they’ve simply not released dates for next season yet. Places can often look totally booked up when they’re simply not taking bookings yet.

I jotted down a list of apartments in Corvara. I’ll send it to you by PM once I get back to the office. They may be a better / cheaper bet. No idea how you get in touch with any of them. Google may have to be your friend.

BoofHead, Sadie and Hyst like this.
  21. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

No they are actually booked already - in addition to online searches I"ve reached out directly to a lot of places plus Mario (from Dolomite Ski Tours) and also Tania from Ski Italy. They have both looked into options (and are still looking in Tania's case) and said that for the two weeks we want there isn't availability for our two families - most places are rebooked from year to year by return customers who get first pick.

I've found an apartment for all of us at Cervinia for our dates, but our friends want separate accommodation, which I haven't found. I quite like the idea of being able to ski Zermatt as well as Cervinia-Breuil.

22. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

Finally we have booked accommodation. After almost booking a place in Selva we managed to get apartments in Corvara, even though we have to shift apartments half way through. So we have 12 days in Alta Badia coming up in Jan 2020!

skiflat likes this.
  23. linked_recoveries

Fabulous. Great location alongside all the shops and rental outlets (if you need that), central to most areas, lovely town, good restaurant options, good shopping and a supermarket next door.

24. dmz

dmz More cheeeese Gromit Ski Pass: Gold

Thanks for all this. We are planning to do the Dolomites for the first time 2020/2021. What is the earliest that bookings usually open up for most places?

25. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

Looking at my past email we booked Hotel Sas Morin, Pozza di Fassa in the dolomites in late August for January. This was with Crystal ski though which was a package departing London.

26. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

We booked in May for January, this seemed to be the earliest we could book directly.

27. dmz

So what sort of accom could you get in the dolomites for around $6000 per week (for a couple)?
    Is that mid-range?

28. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

29. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear One of Us Ski Pass: Gold

Have five nights here in February https://www.alpenroyal.com/en/ Not mid range but not stupidly expensive either.

30. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

@Sadie .......start booking again ;):)

Attached Files:

31. dmz

Thanks - still deciding between all the options listed in this thread:
    Colfosco, corvara, val gardena.
    Need quick access to lifts, restaurants, supermarkets etc - will not have a car.
    Prefer loads of intermediate slopes (not big on blacks at my age!).

32. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

Selva seems to have the most accommodation right on the lifts/walking distance to supermarkets and restaurants. The place we booked in Corvara was chosen for the same reason.

Dolomites is largely intermediate, you won't have a problem there.

person s likes this.
  33. TOFF

TOFF Im kind of a big deal Ski Pass: Gold

I thought you were off to South America?

;)

34. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

Weigh up costs. ..Italy wins:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

person s likes this.
  35. Hyst

Cazy price - however if you need that luxury - hire a company to book - they can do better.

36. Shoey

Shoey Hard Yards

$6k would be quiet high end.
    Here's our booking from Jan 2018. £1k total for a couple, including flights (from London), transfer and 7 nights half board.

it's a charter flight so the flight component is very cheap but that still makes the accomodation only around $1.5kAUD or so for 2ppl total.

37. linked_recoveries

Yeah, that's high end stuff in the Dolomites.

38. linked_recoveries

We tend to view the world as 'you need a clean dry place to store your stuff and sleep'. Nothing more than that. We're into nice, two-star cheapness. Although if someone provides brekkie we're all over it.

Sbooker likes this.
  39. Hyst

Don't know about you age

- but getting old, I go for 3 stars , ok food, close to slopes and if at all possible a nice outside osen. (For the last bit I have to travel a bit more - coming nothern winter).
    LOL

40. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

Ours accommodation was around $1500 for the week, 2 room self contained apartment. Perfect location in Colfosco, close to lift and small delicatessen. Will book again if travelling to Dolomites

person s likes this.
  41. Ian D

Ian D Pool Room Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Just near the skiers bridge over the main road? If so that is very close to where I stayed last year and @Sadie the year before. Great location.

Sadie, Slide Sideways and person s like this.
  42. Slide Sideways

Slide Sideways Addicted

Next to the church.

Attached Files:

43. Ian D

Nice, that is about 100m from where I stayed.

You do realise the church bells ring every hour from 7am - and it rings like 28 times. No-one knows the significance of the number.

Sadie and Slide Sideways like this.
  44. Sadie

Sadie Chk Chk Boom Moderator Ski Pass: Gold

@Slide Sideways is +1 :)

Ian D likes this.
  45. linked_recoveries

Do they go "clang" once as a warm up, wait for a bit, then get right into it? We always woke with that small first clang and went "oh, no".

46. Ian D

Yep, me too

47. Lifes2good

Lifes2good One of Us

So no sleep-ins in Corvara/Colfosco?