Its 1990 all over again. !!!

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
A lot of you guys were probably still cra*ping your pants in 1990 but i remember it well here in tassie... The year before 89 was ok , not bad not great (average) like last winter..
We had a very warm & wet south eastern summer that year (lots of rain up the upper east coast of tassie) and from Sydney up!!.

Than we had the dryest Autumn in 20 years.! This Autumn is the dryest Autumn in 17 years (1990).. The weather didn,t break until early July..!! After than it was huge. with very heavy snow all through july august.. Season closed (lack of intrest) on the 8/9th October with top to bottom skiing still..

I might be crazy but i think its brewing!!

Shrek

Old n' Crusty
Jun 16, 2000
be in the mist
Friday night I crashed your party
Saturday I said I'm sorry
Sunday came and trashed me out again
I was only having fun
Wasn't hurting anyone
And we all enjoyed the weekend for a change

I've been stranded in the combat zone
I walked through Bedford Stuy alone
Even rode my motorcycle in the rain
And you told me not to drive
But I made it home alive
So you said that only proves that I'm insane

You may be right
I may be crazy
But it just may be a lunatic you're looking for
Turn out the light
Don't try to save me
You may be wrong for all I know
But you may be right

Remember how I found you there
Alone in your electric chair
I told you dirty jokes until you smiled
You were lonely for a man
I said take me as I am
'Cause you might enjoy some madness for awhile

Now think of all the years you tried to
Find someone to satisfy you
I might be as crazy as you say
If I'm crazy then it's true
That it's all because of you
And you wouldn't want me any other way

You may be right
I may be crazy
It's too late to fight
It's too late to change me
But you may be right

You may be right
I may be crazy
Turn out the light
Don't try to save me
But you may be right

You may be wrong but you may be right
You may be wrong but you may be right

your theme song for this year,
I hope you are right.

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
So far as the SOI goes, 1990 was disimilar to 2008, in fact, almost the exact opposite.

Much more similar to 2000, in that respect....

Toddo

One of Us
Jun 28, 2002
driest autumn? this april was the wettest april for a long time in sydney at least

BH

One of Us
Jun 24, 2006
Its funny. Ken Ring, Frog, the BOM, Weatherzone etc. Were all saying this year was going to be an above average year with an early start to the season (good chance skiing wont be possible until the end of June!!!). Long range weather forecasting is pure guess work.

Mrstr_Chief

One of Us
Nov 8, 2004
Sydney
BH said:
Its funny. Ken Ring, Frog, the BOM, Weatherzone etc. Were all saying this year was going to be an above average year with an early start to the season (good chance skiing wont be possible until the end of June!!!). Long range weather forecasting is pure guess work.

Further to that is every news paper article, web blog, and industry representatives professing that this season is going to be good.

Shut up ppl, lets just wait!

Last edited by a moderator:
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

Cadsy

A Local
Jun 12, 2004
Sydney
i agree with all of you, except the one thing that made me think it might be more than standard crap is that the typically smart and conservative frog is calling it as well....so thats where my little shred of hope lies haha

keefy

First Runs
Jan 28, 2003
Sydney
Naa, there will be snow on the ground before the end of June.

I agree with Sandy, SOI and La Nina very similar levels to that of 2000, however no end of May dump...

I don't think we will be waiting for very long... Since I started skiing consistently (not how I ski, but effort
smile.gif
) in 2001 (yes late starter) I don't think there has been snow on the ground by opening, other than man made, but opening weekend has delivered at least once, snow on the ground before end of June, including 06 and 04 if I recall correctly, just weren't much!

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Not everybody lives in Sydney toddo there other parts of Aus that also have weather ! .. In those seasons 90, 91 , 92 in tassie .. All epic years but late staters with big snow coming form mid July & all through August ... We wait to see.

BH

One of Us
Jun 24, 2006
keefy said:
I don't think there has been snow on the ground by opening, other than man made,

Not true the last 3 years there has been snow on the ground for the long weekend and 2006 the long weekend was about as good as it got for the whole season.

filski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Mar 14, 2011
So far I reckon I'm the only one to have called the start of the season correctly.
wink.gif

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Don't put words in the Frog's mouth. He said it would be an average season, and the best since '04.

He said nothing about it being an early season.

I remember 1990 very well....I skied Federation for the first time ever top-to-bottom some time in September... lovely spring Skiing.

BH

One of Us
Jun 24, 2006
Straight from Frog site!!

With the SOI (Southern Oscillation Index) readings coming down from the high positives earlier this year I see the large high pressure systems weakening a little earlier than normal, which will allow the stronger lows from the SW to reach the mountains from around mid-late May. I see good signs for cool weather and early season snowfalls.

Not exactly correct is it and by reading this It pretty much indicates an early season.

Like I said long range forecasting is pure guess work!!!

Rush

Pool Room
Jul 26, 2000
Well... we did have an early season snowfall two weeks ago!
wink.gif

filski

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Mar 14, 2011
That could be interpreted in many ways. Average season is about 160-170cms if I recall correctly? I've gone for 160cm myself. There were indeed early snowfalls so Frog was right. What did he mean specifically though?

The season may not have started yet but weatherzone at least indicated the beginning of the season would see a continuation of the earlier falls. I said no. For the forseeable future (and even beyond the max 360hr charts) I don't see any regular snow. Things could change but I've given my reasons why I think they won't before the end of June.

BH

One of Us
Jun 24, 2006
Well done Schaden you have guessed well (so far.) Anything more then 7-10 days is pure guess work.

clubbiesnowsnob

Hard Yards
May 16, 2008
BH said:
keefy said:
Not true the last 3 years there has been snow on the ground for the long weekend and 2006 the long weekend was about as good as it got for the whole season.

Absolutely right......2006 opener was as good as it got(SUN) and my only day of skiing the whole season with a 10cm fall above 1100m on the saturday night...would rather be waiting for the big dump(1990 type)than have the slow car crash that was 2006?

BH

One of Us
Jun 24, 2006
Yeah I skied the sunday morning and was the best day of the year for mine and really the whole of Thredbo should of been open but they got caught out by the unexpected snowfall and were not prepared.

snow_obsessed

First Runs
Jul 10, 2005
Melbourne, northeast suburbs
I think this year will match closely to 1984.
My reasoning for this is that for the last two seasons ('06,'07) have been similar to 1982 and 1983.
1984 also had no snow until the end of June which is looking like 2008's current situation.
'84 saw a slow build up in July and August providing the goods with a peak depth of 230cm at Spencer's creek.

TC

Pool Room
Ski Pass
Dec 7, 1999
Gulmarg Resort Kashmir Sydney
For anyone who is interested
It first snowed at buller on the 28th june 1990
I remember it well
I was living in Melb and i was working for the timber industry
I spent a week at hotham in mid july
and 1 week at buller in mid august
and a long weekend at falls early sept

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
I cant comment on the big island 1990 season but i know it was dry in april may a very big snow fall on the June long weekend of about 50cm in one day.. which got the season going on the Ben. Than nothing until the middle of July. From which it puked for 3 weeks.. Very big 3 day storms & blizzards

Cars were buried for the season only being extracated in September (late) .. It was huge & massive ..

As mentioned at the first post. There was so much snow that the season closed on the 8th of October with top to bottom sking still..

1990 - 2008.. Let hope its true.

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
I did tell you lot is just like 1990! Dont think i was that far wrong so far this year!.. Tassies having a bumper . both Mt Mawson & Benlmond open since mid july with great snow & the big island going off!.. The weather is a big cycle!

Sandy

Dark Sith Lord of the Pool Room
Ski Pass
Jan 1, 1998
Yokohama, Japan, Melb. Expat.
Well, at this stage, 2008 is about 100cm short of 1990's lofty heights!!! That's on the mainland, at least. I guess with colder temperatures, Tassie has received extra snow that would have fallen as rain in many other years.

And it's nothing like 1984, as it was bad, bad, bad until the second week in August that year.

Donza

Dogs body...
Ski Pass
Platinum
Apr 21, 2004
woonona
1990 was the year they had to drive a groomer under the terminal chair at blue cow. The flat section at the top.
Its nothing like 1990 (yet).

dmz

Puzzles solved here.
Ski Pass
Jun 25, 2001
melbourne
Nowhere near 1990 seeing as how we've pretty much hit the 2008 peak. Its all downhill from here!

BenLomond Iceman

One of Us
Aug 22, 2000
tasmania
Its all clutching at straws anyway! The important this is huey still knows how to ckuck it down and all Australian resorts (big and little islands) are having a huge year!.. Which is good for everyone!

Remove ads with a
Ski Pass

or Log in using
Remove ads with a
Ski Pass